2018-19 State of European Men's skating | Page 9 | Golden Skate

2018-19 State of European Men's skating

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Going into this season we had both Matteo and Deniss as artistic men's skaters with no quad who were trying to make it work -- Matteo finally got it to work (and in style) at Europeans; Deniss, still a work in progress, unfortunately.

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
Going into this season we had both Matteo and Deniss as artistic men's skaters with no quad who were trying to make it work -- Matteo finally got it to work (and in style) at Europeans; Deniss, still a work in progress, unfortunately.

I like Matteo well enough but I am not quite seeing what is so "artistic" about him. He's a decent performer, but has no range - all he seems to be able to skate to is classic rock medleys. He is a bit more in the Javi showman mold, but without Javi's ability to portray different characters. I know his SP is slower and probably an attempt to show that he can, indeed, be artistic, but it's also very bland and forgettable.

Kevin Aymoz is artistic...Matteo, not so much for me.

DSQ

Record Breaker
Country
United-Kingdom
I wonder if Kevin Aymoz will beat Rizzio at worlds. His long program is to die for.

Lester

Piper and Paul are made of magic dust and unicorns
Final Flight
Kevin Aymoz is artistic...Matteo, not so much for me.

I wouldn't say emotional armwaving and wearing a faded costume to a whiny pop song is enough to call something artistic... even though it fits the current stereotype :D
I wouldn't even call Yuzuru particularly artistic. Dramatic, possibly. Athletically sublime, of course.

Really for a skater to be artistic there needs to be another level of choreography and interpretation, not just lots of it. Something like Satoko, possibly. Or even Javi's Man of la Mancha is very tastefully put together and he performs it with such authenticity and conviction.

Most of the European guys are just pleasantly average in the artistic department but then if you do not have that exceptional x factor in you, which is of course very rare, this takes so much work and effort to find and then refine that you wouldn't expect it of people who generally struggle to make the top 10 at Worlds.

Edit: Yeah, Javi's exhibition program is very artistic

illusionspin

Rinkside
Congrats to Sondre Oddvoll Bøe on winning The Nordics :)

He was soooo happy it was very cute! I guess it was totally unexpected for him. Majorov seemed a bit pissed, though, and he confirmed to Swedish media he didn’t know what had happened to him but that he will focus for Worlds.

Country
Norway
It´s also worth mentioning that Adrien Tesson landed a quad at Universiade :) He seemed very happy with it. From what I can tell from previous scores, he has been trying to land it for some competitions now, but he hasn´t been fully rotated (and maybe had a fall too?). The quad was fully rotated and he got the BV.

elektra blue

mother of skaters
Record Breaker
Country
Italy
as everybody already knows daniel grassl got the bronze medal at junior worlds :yahoo:

elektra blue

mother of skaters
Record Breaker
Country
Italy
good luck to matteo, moris, michal and the other men, may they have a skate they can be proud of:hap10:

Tolstoj

Record Breaker
Daniel Grassl was a bit lowballed in both components and GOE here, -2, -3 for the combos just because maybe they were underrotated (but clean landing), and he got underrotations in the same event where they gave a pass to all Vincent's jumps, that was quite strange.

Shout out for Aymoz for performing even after the mistakes, so many skaters nowadays after a fall they're just emotionally disconnected.

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
Grassl's jumps are heavily pre-rotated, very ungainly. I definitely would not at all say he was lowballed on PCS either.

Tolstoj

Record Breaker
Grassl's jumps are heavily pre-rotated, very ungainly. I definitely would not at all say he was lowballed on PCS either.

We've discussed this for years, and there is no rule that punishes pre-rotation, and if you decide to give negative GOE for that you have to give it for all skaters with these problems including Shoma Uno, and Vincent Zhou (on certain jumps) here.

To me his scores here only means nitpicking on the newcomers which is a common (unfair as hell) practice from ISU.

elektra blue

mother of skaters
Record Breaker
Country
Italy
Daniel Grassl was a bit lowballed in both components and GOE here, -2, -3 for the combos just because maybe they were underrotated (but clean landing), and he got underrotations in the same event where they gave a pass to all Vincent's jumps, that was quite strange.

Shout out for Aymoz for performing even after the mistakes, so many skaters nowadays after a fall they're just emotionally disconnected.

so it wasn't my mama heart jumping on the wuzrobbed train? was he actually underscored? :ddevil:

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
We've discussed this for years, and there is no rule that punishes pre-rotation

There's no rule at all about how to count jump rotation (yet). The tech callers can look for it if they want to, as can judges. There IS specifically a -GOE bullet point for "lacking rotation". It's not just that problem on his jumps though, but also the way he has a lazy leg wrap on the landings of triple jumps. He entirely unhooks his free leg right before he lands and it awkwardly flops in the air, breaking up the body line.

if you decide to give negative GOE for that you have to give it for all skaters with these problems including Shoma Uno, and Vincent Zhou (on certain jumps) here.

Of course they should be getting scrutinized too. Both of Shoma's 4Flips at WTT should have been called underrotated. Zhou and Shoma tend to have better flow on their landings than Grassl, though.