Yuna Kim's double-double-double | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Yuna Kim's double-double-double

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
I wonder why most of the girls prefer to have a 3-2-2 or 3-1lo-3 as their 3 jumps combo rather than 2-2-2, while a 2-2-2 is more easy and give more GOEs.

I wonder why most of the girls prefer to have a 3-2-2 or 3-1lo-3 as their 3 jumps combo rather than 2-2-2, while a 2-2-2 is more easy and give more GOEs.

What do you mean a 2-2-2 gives out more GOE?

Anyway, the argument is likely BV again.

rikaquegira

On the Ice
Many posters said that it's easier to have higher GOEs on a 2-2-2 than 3-2-2.

Yeah, I’ve seen that argument.
But in 2010 FS Yuna had higher GOE on her 2A+3T combo out of spread eagle than in her 2A+2T+2Lo out of ina bauer and with a tano on the Loop and perfectly timed with the music(she got mostly +1s for that). Was that an anomaly?
To me it’s funny how things have changed. Not gonna cite any names but that 2A+2T+2Lo combo today would probably gather some +3s or at least mostly +2s...

Im a big fan of hers though be honest, Yuna would have benefited with choreography by Averbukh. So many of her programs were cheesy warhorse fests - also, the way she left so many points on the table compared to the contemporary group of Russian skaters (that effectively ended her career), she might have been better off going to Moscow for transition and jump training.

Sad to see so much of her potential locked up in conservative style and inability/unwillingness to adapt with her contemporaries

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
With only 4 triples she didn't have so much possibilities either. She tried to maximize her BV with what she was able to do i think.

rikaquegira

On the Ice
Im a big fan of hers though be honest, Yuna would have benefited with choreography by Averbukh. So many of her programs were cheesy warhorse fests - also, the way she left so many points on the table compared to the contemporary group of Russian skaters (that effectively ended her career), she might have been better off going to Moscow for transition and jump training.

Sad to see so much of her potential locked up in conservative style and inability/unwillingness to adapt with her contemporaries

[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]
LMAO

what the...?

With only 4 triples she didn't have so much possibilities either. She tried to maximize her BV with what she was able to do i think.

That's fair. Like Caro, she tried make the best with her technical limitations by being more artistically brilliant.

For me, it's such a shame she didn't benefit from the mould breaking choreo and coaching present today. A story of what could have been

rikaquegira

On the Ice
So the Russians ended Yuna’s career? You clearly don’t know anything about Yuna’s career.
Her goal was to win Olympic gold which she did with record scores on both SP or LP so there was absolutely no need to put any more points on the table. The choreography is, in the end, a matter of taste. To me her programs were perfect the way they were.
After 2010 she basically was just done with skating but she still skated 2010 and 2011 WC. At that time there were no Eteri girls challenging her and she didn’t win because she made many mistakes, had she skated clean she would’ve most probably won two more titles. On top of that her 2011 SP and LP choreography were some of the best of her career.
She came back in 2013 as if nothing happened and won WC again, by a HUGE margin, so again, there was no need at all to do more than she was already doing. The only reason she came back was to gather spots for the younger Koreans to participate in the SO.
Then she got silver in Sochi skating two clean programs under enormous pressure and expectation. Adelina took the gold with a cleanish performance, some double foot landing, some URs, some edge calls not called plus a sudden PCS rise. So you know, that wasn’t exactly the Russians surpassing Yuna in technical ability.
After that Yuna happily retired because as I said, she was done with skating since 2010.
I don’t know why I’m even bothering to write all this if you’re just trolling. Because saying Yuna should’ve gone to Moscow for “jump training” is like saying Satoko should go to Eteri camp to learn how to spin.
Yuna didn’t need to adapt to her contemporaries at all, they were the ones trying to catch up not the other way around. Sochi was a complete anomaly. But that’s in the past!
The current champions are Russians and they’re amazing too! It’s a different style, different focus, some love it, some hate it. The same way some love Yuna, some think she was just boring. That’s ok, let’s just not speak any nonsense.

MarinHondas

Final Flight
Yuna was a great skater. The jumps she had, she did very well. I’m sure if she competed in this era of skating she would have done another +3t combo. She didn’t need it when she competed. I don’t know why posters feel the need to constantly tear down Yuna or analyze her 2-2-2 as if it’s bad that she did this combo( Med does 2-2-2 but there are no threads about her...) Off season really makes people bored huh...

rikaquegira

On the Ice
Ppl rag on Yuna for not having 3loop but Med doesn’t have 3lutz lol

That’s mean! [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

And in Yuna’s case it’s not like she couldn’t do it because of a lack of technical ability. There are videos of Yuna doing 3Lo in practice up until 2009 season and there was absolutely nothing wrong with them. She CHOSE not to put in her layout because of her health, because it was an option and it wasn’t worth it to do it just for the sakes of executing all triples(except 3A).
In Medvedeva’s case, she tries but... I don’t think I’ve ever seen a perfect lutz from her. And if she completely excludes 3Lz from her layout things would get tight for her so it’s not exactly an option. She is great though, no one is perfect.
But those ubers can be a little crazy when it comes to comparing two skaters (or in the case here, one skater to a whole group of skaters) who are not competing against each other and have totally different styles.

rikaquegira

On the Ice
Yuna was a great skater. The jumps she had, she did very well. I’m sure if she competed in this era of skating she would have done another +3t combo. She didn’t need it when she competed. I don’t know why posters feel the need to constantly tear down Yuna or analyze her 2-2-2 as if it’s bad that she did this combo( Med does 2-2-2 but there are no threads about her...) Off season really makes people bored huh...

Oh that’s true! I’m here wasting my time because I have nothing better to do unfortunately! [emoji23]

MarinHondas

Final Flight
That’s mean! [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

And in Yuna’s case it’s not like she couldn’t do it because of a lack of technical ability. There are videos of Yuna doing 3Lo in practice up until 2009 season and there was absolutely nothing wrong with them. She CHOSE not to put in her layout because of her health, because it was an option and it wasn’t worth it to do it just for the sakes of executing all triples(except 3A).
In Medvedeva’s case, she tries but... I don’t think I’ve ever seen a perfect lutz from her. And if she completely excludes 3Lz from her layout things would get tight for her so it’s not exactly an option. She is great though, no one is perfect.
But those ubers can be a little crazy when it comes to comparing two skaters (or in the case here, one skater to a whole group of skaters) who are not competing against each other and have totally different styles.

I agree so much!

sarama

Medalist
It’s probably better, for a skater with only 6 triples in the free, to just maintain one 3+3 instead of also training a 2A+3T. They’re going to need that 3+3 in the short program.

That could have been the reasoning behind her choice, but also because her 3Lz-3T was so impressive and her money combo/trademark. Considering how easy it was for her to put a 3T in combo, if she thought it would have helped she would have no doubt gone for the 2A-3T, but I really don't think it would have helped her cause

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
This title makes me think of ordering a Tim Horton's coffee - double double - 2 cream, 2 sugar - sorry I couldn't resist the Canadian humour in me! Of course the extra double would make it extra sweet - just like Yuna Kim's skating!