2018-19 Canadian figure skating | Page 95 | Golden Skate

2018-19 Canadian figure skating

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Who? :confused2:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nNRTTxXIilM&t=3s

National silver medalist. Never competed as a senior internationally before apart from the Bavarian Open in recent weeks, where she got the TES minimums.

She was a rough-around-the-edges talent in the junior ranks, now trains under Ravi Walia, and has already shown a lot of improvements, though she’s been hampered by a pelvic fracture this year.

mrrice

Record Breaker
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nNRTTxXIilM&t=3s

National silver medalist. Never competed as a senior internationally before apart from the Bavarian Open in recent weeks, where she got the TES minimums.

She was a rough-around-the-edges talent in the junior ranks, now trains under Ravi Walia, and has already shown a lot of improvements, though she’s been hampered by a pelvic fracture this year.

She's beautiful. I wish her the best. Thank you.

By the way, how old is Joseph Phan? I thought he'd be going to Senior Worlds by now. I love his skating.

Dreamer57

Record Breaker
Joseph is 17 and heading to junior worlds. I think this is a good decision as Canada have 2 spots in seniors which are taken by Keegan and Nam.
Hopefully Joseph and Stephen can earn 3 junior spots for next season.

mrrice

Record Breaker
Joseph is 17 and heading to junior worlds. I think this is a good decision as Canada have 2 spots in seniors which are taken by Keegan and Nam.
Hopefully Joseph and Stephen can earn 3 junior spots for next season.

Thank You...…..:thank:

jillredhand

Record Breaker
So happy Gabby is going to Worlds! I think she's definitely capable of being ready for it. She showed at last year's Worlds that she can come out of a disastrous competition and skate well in the next, and even if she's not in top form she can manage her nerves better.

I'd have liked to see Veronik on the team, I really love her programs. But I'll be cheering for Aurora and Alaine as well.

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
So happy Gabby is going to Worlds! I think she's definitely capable of being ready for it. She showed at last year's Worlds that she can come out of a disastrous competition and skate well in the next, and even if she's not in top form she can manage her nerves better.
I'm nervous for how this will go. I don't care about the spots (well, I do) so much as the possibility that another bad day will be a really huge mental setback for her.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The worst part for Gabby is that there is so much more pressure on her this year than last. Her teammates consist of a total newbie to senior competition and a veteran skater who's been more down than up performance-wise for the last two seasons.

Aurora has great potential, but because of a hip injury her technical content is limited this year. Alaine---well, no one knows what to expect from her. Canada's hopes for holding onto two spots are more naturally focused on Gabby. That can't be easy for her.

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
The CBC is belatedly doing a two-hour Four Continents broadcast at 12 EST today. Interested to see what makes the cut (they tend to favour showing the free programs, which makes sense for most of our medalists, but for Kirsten and Michael the short program was more the standout).

Does this mean Carol will be commentating on video footage that she's actually in (in the case of the ice dance event)?:laugh:

rain

Record Breaker
I'm nervous for how this will go. I don't care about the spots (well, I do) so much as the possibility that another bad day will be a really huge mental setback for her.

I hope she's a lot more ready, both mentally and physically, than she was at Canadian nationals. I have a feeling that a skate like her LP at nationals would be a huge setback for her.

That said, especially after Chartrand's performance at 4CC, she is the best hope of Canada keeping two spots for ladies. If Cotop can get her flip back for worlds that would be a big accomplishment for her and stand her in good stead going into the competition.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
gabby was devastated at 4cc (2017??) when she had tough free.. then had a very bad olympics ...and was devastated... and then also had a rough worlds but was injured...

so I am sure that she is not expecting here to be top 5. Perhaps, she was upset in those other instances because she hoped for a placement. All I wish for her is to skate her best and deal with the result with a positive outlook. She is learning how to be a human being, coping with all sorts of difficulties, including mental illness issues.... so who cares if she ends up 11th? I hope she won't see it as a setback but as as a growth, if ever she doesn't place as high as she has previously. This being said, if she is "together and in the zone" ... she could beat just about anyone.

Now.. for the rest of the team : to me it eases up Alaine's responsibilities and that MAY help ALaine to skate better... so it's a win win situation.

I am a huge Gabby fan... she managed to turn me around as when she was much younger, I didn't like her style at all.. but she has worked, like a beast to reifine her skating and I adore what she offers now : power and heart.

So go Gabby.. Skate for yourself. See this as another growing up experience.. Do not worry about the results. You have proven yourself plenty of times already you, Olympic Champion !

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
It is hard to be overly optimistic with the Canadian women but miracles do happen. Alaine did not really look good even at Nationals. Aurora is no Evegenia or Alina at her young age. Gabby is the hope but I think she would be happy just to be in the top ten. it would be a horrible day for Canada if all three miss the cut to skate the free which is not impossible. What would be more horrific for Canada is that they are down to one spot. Gabby comes back strong and edges Katelyn next year for he one spot and that could be the end of Kaetlyn or whoever

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Kaetlyn hasn't said yet that she'll be skating next season, but if she does and there is just one spot, rest assured that it will be hers.

kenboy123

On the Ice
I'm honestly relieved by the choices of ladies, not that Cotop is going to do anything to help Canada keep spots, but at least Chantrand and Daleman have a least a chance...but Cotop deserves to skate in Worlds since she did come in 2nd at nationals...i guess, but i thought she was still a junior...

jillredhand

Record Breaker
gabby was devastated at 4cc (2017??) when she had tough free.. then had a very bad olympics ...and was devastated... and then also had a rough worlds but was injured...

so I am sure that she is not expecting here to be top 5. Perhaps, she was upset in those other instances because she hoped for a placement. All I wish for her is to skate her best and deal with the result with a positive outlook. She is learning how to be a human being, coping with all sorts of difficulties, including mental illness issues.... so who cares if she ends up 11th? I hope she won't see it as a setback but as as a growth, if ever she doesn't place as high as she has previously. This being said, if she is "together and in the zone" ... she could beat just about anyone.

Now.. for the rest of the team : to me it eases up Alaine's responsibilities and that MAY help ALaine to skate better... so it's a win win situation.

I am a huge Gabby fan... she managed to turn me around as when she was much younger, I didn't like her style at all.. but she has worked, like a beast to reifine her skating and I adore what she offers now : power and heart.

So go Gabby.. Skate for yourself. See this as another growing up experience.. Do not worry about the results. You have proven yourself plenty of times already you, Olympic Champion !

Gabby had a silver at 2017 4CC, so not that one :) But I agree that with some managed expectations, I think she can do fine. I was really impressed with how she handled her free program at Worlds last year- the ankle sprain prevented her from skating very well, but after every error, you could see that she was regrouping and keeping control of her nerves, so that she didn't have a complete meltdown like she did during her Olympics free. Even with errors, she was able to end the program with equanimity.

I think she can do the same at this year's Worlds- she'll have been working to focus on keeping control even if errors happen. I doubt she was really ready mentally for Nationals, considering how little time she'd been back on the ice before that. But I'm sure the time since then has been more productive for her, both physically and mentally. I do hope that the pressure of keeping spots for Canada isn't too much to put on her right now, but that's much less pressure than aiming to repeat a Worlds medal, and is still a worthy goal for motivation.

Maybe I'm overly optimistic, being a huge Gabby stan, but I definitely think she has a track record of being able to bounce back from setbacks, so I am cheering for her!

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
I'm honestly relieved by the choices of ladies, not that Cotop is going to do anything to help Canada keep spots, but at least Chantrand and Daleman have a least a chance...but Cotop deserves to skate in Worlds since she did come in 2nd at nationals...i guess, but i thought she was still a junior...

IDK, I think Cotop might pleasantly surprise us.

Osmond4gold

Record Breaker
IDK, I think Cotop might pleasantly surprise us.

Agreed! No expectations and a beautiful skater with so much promise and a coach who knows how to work with potential.

Interesting how some posters disappeared for months on GS after both Worlds '17 and '18. Funny if we had a three-peat in 2019.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
It is hard to be overly optimistic with the Canadian women but miracles do happen. Alaine did not really look good even at Nationals. Aurora is no Evegenia or Alina at her young age. Gabby is the hope but I think she would be happy just to be in the top ten. it would be a horrible day for Canada if all three miss the cut to skate the free which is not impossible. What would be more horrific for Canada is that they are down to one spot. Gabby comes back strong and edges Katelyn next year for he one spot and that could be the end of Kaetlyn or whoever

look at me dude... i find it plenty easy to remain optimistic ;)

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Gabby had a silver at 2017 4CC, so not that one :) But I agree that with some managed expectations, I think she can do fine. I was really impressed with how she handled her free program at Worlds last year- the ankle sprain prevented her from skating very well, but after every error, you could see that she was regrouping and keeping control of her nerves, so that she didn't have a complete meltdown like she did during her Olympics free. Even with errors, she was able to end the program with equanimity.

I think she can do the same at this year's Worlds- she'll have been working to focus on keeping control even if errors happen. I doubt she was really ready mentally for Nationals, considering how little time she'd been back on the ice before that. But I'm sure the time since then has been more productive for her, both physically and mentally. I do hope that the pressure of keeping spots for Canada isn't too much to put on her right now, but that's much less pressure than aiming to repeat a Worlds medal, and is still a worthy goal for motivation.

Maybe I'm overly optimistic, being a huge Gabby stan, but I definitely think she has a track record of being able to bounce back from setbacks, so I am cheering for her!

you a correct... i had the image of gabby in 4th place but it was not at 4cc it was at gp france... where she finished 4th... again... on that swimming pool with pigeons....

then she did recover at 4cc and worlds...

my main point however is similar to yours.. i just want her to skate her best... and not worry about results or scores. She is dealing with a new reality in her life and things will take time.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker

In Russia this would be her prime time. Downhillf from here on.