2018-19 Canadian figure skating | Page 73 | Golden Skate

2018-19 Canadian figure skating

Osmond4gold

Record Breaker
Doubters will doubt.

As a certain poster does every year, warning us of the pending doom and gloom for Canadian Skaters. You know Bill, 'the Canadians', the ones with all those Olympic and World medals dangling from their necks, yet he/she was so afraid for Canadian results as per their predictions the past 2 seasons. Oh to be so wrong and so naive on so many occasions.

Yet,...the show must go on.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Unfortunately, nearly all the Canadians with the Olympic medals around their necks aren't skating this season.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Unfortunately, nearly all the Canadians with the Olympic medals around their necks aren't skating this season.

well.. nobody is eternal. Many of the champions from other countries have also retired or are skipping this season.... yet i do not see people saying that such and such country's skating is dead... Canadian skating is far from being dead... and yes... we believe that Keegan will make GPF.

Tavi...

Record Breaker

But Canada has rising stars in men’s and ice dance who will be at the JGPF. And Keegan - at an age when many guys are retiring- has a great shot to make his first GPF.

siberia82

Addicted to Canadian men's singles skating
Record Breaker
Country
Canada
What happened to Aurora Cotop? She was supposed to compete at the Inge Solar Memorial, but I've just noticed that she's not even listed as having withdrawn, which means that her name must have been removed early.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
As a certain poster does every year, warning us of the pending doom and gloom for Canadian Skaters. You know Bill, 'the Canadians', the ones with all those Olympic and World medals dangling from their necks, yet he/she was so afraid for Canadian results as per their predictions the past 2 seasons. Oh to be so wrong, on so many occasions.

Yet,...the show must go on.

A lot of these posts are from the heart and not head. But analtically speaking Canada is definitely got a lot of challenges. ON the half full there is Keegan looking more consistent and up and coming men, MTM M despite their lack of progress dealing with lifts/twists and artistry are still able to fight the Knerims et al in the second tier. Ice dance has G and P who have awesome programs this year and the return of Weapo even without V and M is not a bad shot of giving the might Americans a challenge. But analytically Canada has lost its top three women, top guy, top few pairs teams and top dance team - that is pretty tough. In the NHL or other sports it is a big rebuilding year, Y=Unless Osmond comes back and or Daleman finds her mojo Canada is back in the dark days of Jennifer Robinson only they don't have even someone solid enough to be a serious top ten threat.

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
What happened to Aurora Cotop? She was supposed to compete at the Inge Solar Memorial, but I've just noticed that she's not even listed as having withdrawn, which means that her name must have been removed early.
Possibly they originally wanted her to compete here but decided that she wasn't in shape to do so (she was definitely not in particularly good shape at JGP Slovenia).

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The Knierims haven't been a threat to anyone for the past 3 seasons due to Alexa's health challenges and slow recovery, plus their own individual challenge with SBS jumps. But the Knierims got back just a smidgen of their mojo at NHK and managed to edge an uncharacteristically sloppy MTM/M.

BillNeal

You Know I'm a FS Fan...
Record Breaker
I am actually quite satisfied with how the season has been going so far for our Canadians. I am glad that our Canadian Champions are busy touring, bringing figure skating to not only the bigger cities during SOI but also to smaller communities for the TTYCT, giving exposure to the sport and growing its fanbase across the country. There are times when I do wish they, particularly Tessa and Scott, are still competing but our skaters have continually exceeded expectations and don't need to prove anything to anyone. Then, there are the rising stars, like Stephen and Keegan, and skaters that I have just discovered this season, like junior ice dancers Miku Makita and Tyler Gunara, that I'm quite looking forward to seeing develop.

And let's not forget our talented coaches, particularly Marie-France/Patrice/Romain, who are doing great work with a large proportion of the ice dance field, and Brian Orser/Tracy Wilson, who are coaching the reigning Men's OGM and Ladies' OSM, among other talented skaters. I'm glad that Canada continues to be a great host for international competitions like ACI, SC, GPF, and also Worlds next season. I was fortunate enough to attend ACI, where I not only enjoyed watching a diverse field of skaters compete but also became friends with some kind and positive fellow fans, Canadian and International. It's a matter of perspective I guess and I see Canada's Figure Skating community as being strong, from the developing and established skaters to the coaches to the fans.

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I am actually quite satisfied with how the season has been going so far for our Canadians.
I'd agree, on the whole. There have been some disappointments (I was hoping Carolane and Shane would have a better go of it, especially), but that's expected.

Some people act like the Olympic team event is being held tomorrow.

TGee

Record Breaker
It was never on the entry list in spite of the indications.

TGee

Record Breaker
Roman took silver at CS Inge Solar.

His FS was far below his SB, but it's good to see him getting out and getting on more ISU podiums. And it will help build his world ranking.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Roman took silver at CS Inge Solar.

His FS was far below his SB, but it's good to see him getting out and getting on more ISU podiums. And it will help build his world ranking.

He landed a 4S+Eu+3S! But other costly errors. Congrats to a silver on a CS event though!

(Also shout out to Daniel Grassl for landing a 4Z in the SP and a 4L in the LP! :eek: Between Rizzo and Grassl, Italy's future in men's looks bright!)

siberia82

Addicted to Canadian men's singles skating
Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Since Roman won his second CS medal :thumbsup: on the strength of his SP, I thought I'd share the video that I've cut from the archived livestream here: https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x7068nq

I don't think anyone wants to relive that disastrous LP, though, which was even worse than the one at SCI (127.04 points vs. 142.88). :slink:

But I do have the Inge Solar Memorial Senior Men Medal Ceremony: https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x706ctj

While watching the livestream, I honestly couldn't believe he managed to hang on to a silver medal with such a poor FS performance. :palmf: He got LUCKY. But Roman had better fix whatever issues he's currently having, otherwise he won't even finish in the Top 10 at Nationals.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Pretty much all the men at Inge Solar skated badly with the exception of Grassl. Innsbruck is only about 1900 feet above sea level, so it's not really at high altitude.

TGee

Record Breaker
Since Roman won his second CS medal [emoji106] on the strength of his SP, I thought I'd share the video that I've cut from the archived livestream here: https://vimeo.com/300871569

I don't think anyone wants to relive that disastrous LP, though, which was even worse than the one at SCI (127.04 points vs. 142.88). :slink:

But I do have the Inge Solar Memorial Senior Men Medal Ceremony: https://vimeo.com/301086660

While watching the livestream, I honestly couldn't believe he managed to hang on to a silver medal with such a poor FS performance. :palmf: He got LUCKY. But Roman had better fix whatever issues he's currently having, otherwise he won't even finish in the Top 10 at Nationals.
Thanks for the video of the medal ceremony... I had to step away at that point and missed it.

[emoji253]