2018-19 Canadian figure skating | Page 103 | Golden Skate

2018-19 Canadian figure skating

Osmond4gold

Record Breaker
Just read the practice reports and Aurora has the 3t+3t back in her programs and she's been landing them with ease. The increased BV enhances her chances of qualifying for the FS.

Or finish in the top 16 which I believe she is capable of, at 16 and in her senior worlds debut. No promises or expectations and the experience itself is beneficial, but nothing to lose either in a first year quad full of wildcards.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
mtm finished 5th in the SP... but well.. i would have liked them in 4th :) great job... WM did very well ! good start for Canadian skaters

peese

Medalist
mtm finished 5th in the SP... but well.. i would have liked them in 4th :) great job... WM did very well ! good start for Canadian skaters

Hey mister! Im quite pleased. Now if they would each move up 2 spots we would get a 3rd pair back. Tall order, but anything can happen!!! Hope all is well.

kenboy123

On the Ice
Hey mister! Im quite pleased. Now if they would each move up 2 spots we would get a 3rd pair back. Tall order, but anything can happen!!! Hope all is well.

or maybe the other pair should try and move up...neither will happen because the pairs in front of Moore-Towers/Marinaro won't crash and burn and the other pair won't move up....

peese

Medalist
or maybe the other pair should try and move up...neither will happen because the pairs in front of Moore-Towers/Marinaro won't crash and burn and the other pair won't move up....

Such optimism! We dont have any idea who will do what until it happens. Certainly didnt think J/C would be sitting in 7th.

BillNeal

You Know I'm a FS Fan...
Record Breaker
I'm glad that Gabby had a skate that she is proud of. In addition to getting the signature explosiveness back on her 3T+3T, she really sold the program today, a big improvement from Nationals. We'll see what happens in the free but there are less than two points between the skaters in 7th to 11th. Alaine was not at her best but an improvement from 4CC and she fought for it to make the free skate. For Aurora, she went for the triple-triple and seeing the qualifying scores for the free, it was a necessary risk. She is here for the experience and she has the qualities to make it to more Worlds in the future. Overall, a decent day for the Canadian ladies.

kenboy123

On the Ice
I'm glad that Gabby had a skate that she is proud of. In addition to getting the signature explosiveness back on her 3T+3T, she really sold the program today, a big improvement from Nationals. We'll see what happens in the free but there are less than two points between the skaters in 7th to 11th. Alaine was not at her best but an improvement from 4CC and she fought for it to make the free skate. For Aurora, she went for the triple-triple and seeing the qualifying scores for the free, it was a necessary risk. She is here for the experience and she has the qualities to make it to more Worlds in the future. Overall, a decent day for the Canadian ladies.

It won't be decent enough if we don't get at least 2 spots next year...if we end up with only 1 by the end of the competition....it would be a complete failure...

BillNeal

You Know I'm a FS Fan...
Record Breaker
It won't be decent enough if we don't get at least 2 spots next year...if we end up with only 1 by the end of the competition....it would be a complete failure...

Since Alaine made the free skate, Gabby needs to only finish Top 12 for Canada to get 2 spots for next year. She has 6+ points over Nicole and Loena who are in 12th and 13th after the SP, respectively.

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Too bad for Aurora. Making what is effectively your senior debut at Worlds is really high pressure. The height and distance on that first 3T was terrific, so I expect that’s going to be a beautiful combination in the future.

Alaine, pretty much what we’ve come to expect. Just doing a double was a smart decision, then falls on the loop anyway.

Gabby, great. Lutz landing was wonky, but all things considered she looked thrilled with that, and she should be. Now she just needs to be decent in the free, and we’re good for next year (and more importantly, for her own wellbeing).

Osmond4gold

Record Breaker
Thrilled and so proud of Gabby. To die for 3/3, and more importantly she reclaimed her joy. Keep it going!

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
So happy to see Gabby smiling again, and that 3+3 was a "crackah!" as the Eurosport guys would say.

Hoping Alaine can move up - but Gabby's in a good position to maintain 2 spots.

Thrilled for MT-M starting off strong too... they're in the mix for bronze depending on how the others skater, but I expect a strong comeback from J/C, and strong freeskates from the Chinese and Russians, so they'll have their work cut out.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Too bad for Aurora. Making what is effectively your senior debut at Worlds is really high pressure. The height and distance on that first 3T was terrific, so I expect that’s going to be a beautiful combination in the future.

Alaine, pretty much what we’ve come to expect. Just doing a double was a smart decision, then falls on the loop anyway.

Gabby, great. Lutz landing was wonky, but all things considered she looked thrilled with that, and she should be. Now she just needs to be decent in the free, and we’re good for next year (and more importantly, for her own wellbeing).

Well it wasn't a complete disaster but not exactly a success. We know a healthy and ready Gabby could be much higher even on the podium. Alaine barely clinging to life is sad. Only in part because she has struggled over the last three seasons - she could have been the Kaetlyn or Gabby with a world medal instead she is fighting to get into the fs is quite devastating and disappointing. As for Aurora she is young (well not compared to the aged Russians lol) but after CBC hyped her - not sure why because while they had some facts wrong a triple toes and salchows are not exactly top notch tech skills. She is coming back from injury and she has a good coach but I wouldn't be touting her yet. I know she is a rookie at worlds but so was Alina last year and she still placed fifth after OGM. I really hope Gabby skates well especially for all those nay sayers who think she should go back to bed.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker

MTM could have been third if he didn't struggle with his jump but they have to worry about the French. I think they an possibly beat PJ and Z and E. They do have a very outside shot of a medal.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Oh, the irony ;).

Not irony at all. Just because someone thinks someone is in trouble or not skating wellor whatever doesn't mean you can't wish that skater well and have hope they show the world they are better than what has been going on. Gabby has been struggling but I still hope she shocks the worldwith a an amazingperformance.

- - - Updated - - -

Nope, ...ya can't make this stuff up, bud. ;)

Oh brother...

BillNeal

You Know I'm a FS Fan...
Record Breaker
The first half of Gabby's program was very good. All things considering, Top 11 is a triumph and I hope she can be happy with what she's accomplished here and the improvement from Nationals. As she said in the KnC, it's only her second (international) competition of the season.

Some posters may find it hard to believe but we now have 2 (!) spots for next year Worlds and also for JWC, a spot was gained so we actually technically have the same number of combined spots as this season ;).

Kissx3

Final Flight
Can I just say as well, even with her doing not-so-hot, Alaine was a solid team member here too. Solely by making the cutoff, she allowed for a 2nd spot. Otherwise, Gabby would have had to place in the top 10, which is 100% doable but obviously didn't happen (DNQ = 18 points, 18+11 = 29). She can rightfully say she pulled her weight as far as the second spot goes.