2018-19 Canadian figure skating | Page 68 | Golden Skate

2018-19 Canadian figure skating

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Iliya : love the boy, love his 3a... but he does skate like a 15 years old.. He needs to improve the interpretation and performance sides of skating and skating skills and transitions too... on top of that, the other 3 contenders all have quads... I wonder why there is such a rush for him to go to JWC this year... when he could go next year... or even in a couple years from now

siberia82

Addicted to Canadian men's singles skating
Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Took me a couple minutes, and then I realized who you were talking about. ;)

:2thumbs: I'd have to reword my paragraph a little, but it would work well on a figure skating edition of Jeopardy! :biggrin:

I still find it strategically not ideal to move Iliya to senior nationals.

A Junior national title is a thing...

ISU notes it, Sports Canada notes it, potential private foundation funders note it.

Just because he's 15 and can go Senior internationally next year, is no reason to foreshorten his time as a Junior. Especially as he's not done growing, hasn't got his quads, and has just made an impact with his first JGP medal.

If there is any flex in the system, he should be going through as a Junior.

But perhaps Skate Canada should not be creating a situation wherein our Junior Champion doesn't go to Worlds.

This doesn't work with the funding criteria from Sport Canada.

But Sport Canada's funding structure isn't built on figure skating.

Skate Canada has a fair bit of latitude because skating is an early specialization sport, but this progression is to some degree a legacy of the pre-NextGen funding incentives.

As Iliya has no chance of making the top 5 and the National senior team, and his NextGen funding is based on his TSS and elements.

So, I question whether it's time to change the system.

Iliya : love the boy, love his 3a... but he does skate like a 15 years old.. He needs to improve the interpretation and performance sides of skating and skating skills and transitions too... on top of that, the other 3 contenders all have quads... I wonder why there is such a rush for him to go to JWC this year... when he could go next year... or even in a couple years from now

TGee and 4everchan, I just wanted to say that ITA with your posts. It's ultimately Iliya's decision, but I would've preferred that he remain as a junior nationally. He's good, but he's not great yet, so I don't really see the point of him moving up to the senior ranks so soon, especially when the field is already quite crowded. The current system seems to devalue the worth of a Canadian junior title if a Junior Worlds spot is on the line. :disapp: He must really want it, but I wish the situation didn't force him to make the jump up the ladder before he's truly ready to face our country's best senior-level athletes. There are indeed areas where he needs to improve, and I think that he should work on them first.

And while we're on this subject, why the heck is Max Denk competing as a senior? :confused: I'm not a fan of his, but I was shocked to see that he was no longer listed as a junior during the National Summer Series. He scored over 63 points less than Bennet at GTSA, which gives you an idea how far behind he is as a skater. I don't consider Max to be Matthew Markell's equal (and Matt, who couldn't train during the off-season because of a stress fracture, did beat him at Octoberfest this past weekend), plus Max doesn't have a Nationals medal, so it makes NO SENSE whatsoever for him to be in the senior ranks.

siberia82

Addicted to Canadian men's singles skating
Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Roman + international gold medal = :love:

Maxim Kovtun's name was removed from the Inge Solar Memorial's Entries List today, so Roman's chances of winning this competition just got a little better.

TGee

Record Breaker
Maxim Kovtun's name was removed from the Inge Solar Memorial's Entries List today, so Roman's chances of winning this competition just got a little better.
Interesting... Kotvun needs to show up somewhere to get his TES minimum, but his return must not be quite ready.

Go Roman!

Koatterce

On the Ice
Country
Canada
Now that the TES minimums for Worlds/4CC/Junior Worlds are out, I did a check as to who already has TES minimums for this season. I'm expecting a bunch of these to go up, especially for the seniors, since the GP hasn't started yet (+ later challenger events). I just went by the ISU TES listing so I hope that's right, and hopefully I can did this right (no guarantees). Also I'm didn't check if any of the juniors have aged out or not, but most of them in the list are competing this season anyways.

Worlds (+4CC)
Men
Keegan Messing
Nicolas Nadeau
Nam Nguyen
Kevin Reynolds
Roman Sadovsky
Bennet Toman

Eligible but not competing: Elladj Balde, Patrick Chan, Liam Firus

Ladies
Alaine Chartrand
Gabrielle Daleman
Veronik Mallet
Alicia Pineault

Eligble but not competing: Kaetlyn Osmond

Pairs
Kirsten Moore-Towers / Michael Marinaro
Camille Ruest / Andrew Wolfe
Evelyn Walsh / Trennt Michaud

Eligible but not competing or split: Meagan Duhamel / Eric Radford, Liubov Ilyushechkina / Dylan Moscovitch, Sydney Kolodziej / Maxime Deschamps, Julianne Seguin / Charlie Bilodeau

Dance
Laurence Fournier Beaudry / Nikolaj Sorensen
Piper Gilles / Paul Poirier
Haley Sales / Nikolas Wamsteeker
Carolane Soucisse / Shane Firus
Kaitlyn Weaver / Andrew Poje

Eligible but not competing: Tessa Virtue / Scott Moir

4CC only
Men
none

Ladies
Larkyn Austman
Michelle Long

Pairs
none

Dance
Sarah Arnold / Thomas Williams
Molly Lanaghan / Dmitre Razgulajevs

Junior Worlds
Men
Beres Clements
Stephen Gogolev
Alec Guinzbourg
Iliya Kovler
Eric Liu
Conrad Orzel
Joseph Phan
Aleksa Rakic

Note: Matthew Markell has the SP TES, but has yet to compete his FS

Ladies
Emily Basback
Sarah-Maude Blanchard
Emma Bulawka
Aurora Cotop
Hannah Dawson
Alison Schumacher
Lissa Anne McGaghey

Pairs
Patricia Andrew / Paxton Fletcher
Olivia Boys-Eddy / Mackenzie Boys-Eddy
Gabrielle Levesque / Pier-Alexandre Hudon
Brooke McIntosh / Brandon Toste

Dance
Nadiia Bashynska / Peter Beaumont
Emmy Bronsard / Aissa Bouraguia
Natalie D'Allessandro / Bruce Waddell
Alicia Fabbri / Paul Ayer
Ellie Fisher / Simon-Pierre Malette-Paquette
Irina Galiyanova / Grayson Lochhead
Marjorie Lajoie / Zachary Lagha
Miku Makita / Tyler Gunara
Olivia McIsaac / Corey Circelli
Ashlynne Stairs / Elliot Graham

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Yeah that's what I thought since they competed in challengers earlier. But they haven't reached the worlds/4CC minimum TES at the senior level

Also:

Pairs - Purich/Portz split
Jr Ladies - Lissa Anne McGaghey is on the NextGen team this year
Jr Pairs - Choinard/Ostiguy are competing junior nationally, but he's aged out of juniors internationally
Jr Dance - Taillefer/Chan split, he's on IPS and he's aged out of junior

Koatterce

On the Ice
Country
Canada
Also:

Pairs - Purich/Portz split
Jr Ladies - Lissa Anne McGaghey is on the NextGen team this year
Jr Pairs - Choinard/Ostiguy are competing junior nationally, but he's aged out of juniors internationally
Jr Dance - Taillefer/Chan split, he's on IPS and he's aged out of junior

got it, thanks! edited post accordingly

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
FYI, In his Instagram live right now, Conrad says he's only doing the SP at Sectionals to test out quads in his SP. He also said that he's not going for senior Worlds because he's not going to do a senior B so he won't have the tech scores.

He also said he's working on all of 4Lz, 4F and 4Lo in practice and that he'll add lutz or flip for next season.

Dr. Jenn

Medalist
Thanks for the link. It's not geo-blocked. I'm a Canadian living in Australia, and I was able to watch it without any issues (or a VPN).

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
After Skate America and NO medal. Thinks are not looking good for Canada. Devastation in ladies. Pairs is not looking great with retirements and splits. Dance is okay but it is hard when your top two teams are retired or doing shows. Men well Keegan is the hope. No one else seems to be stepping up. In ladies they might have three spots but if Gabby doesn't get it together it sadly is three wasted spots - all three might not qualify to skate the free skate which would be absolutely humbling.

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
After Skate America and NO medal. Thinks are not looking good for Canada.
Entirely unsupported. Nobody at Skate America was expected to medal in the first place -- Nam had an outside shot at the podium, perhaps (and he continues his streak of solid free skates, so even if he didn't make it this time, he's continuing to improve).

The people with the strongest medal chances (Piper and Paul, Kirsten and Michael, Keegan) are all at Skate Canada International, not Skate America.

Men well Keegan is the hope. No one else seems to be stepping up.
Nam won the US Classic and Roman won bronze at ACI, in case you forgot.

BillNeal

You Know I'm a FS Fan...
Record Breaker
After Skate America and NO medal. Thinks are not looking good for Canada. Devastation in ladies. Pairs is not looking great with retirements and splits. Dance is okay but it is hard when your top two teams are retired or doing shows. Men well Keegan is the hope. No one else seems to be stepping up. In ladies they might have three spots but if Gabby doesn't get it together it sadly is three wasted spots - all three might not qualify to skate the free skate which would be absolutely humbling.

Thanks for your news bulletin Skater Boy ;). Always appreciated. I haven't seen you here for a while. I was wondering where you were when Nam won US Classic, when multiple Canadians won or medaled at ACI (at which I was proud to witness as part of the audience) or when G/P AND Keegan won Nebelhorn. I suspect SA was a warmup event for Nam and Alaine. They showed good fight in the FS and will be looking to continue the momentum at Skate Canada this week, so stayed tuned. A strong lineup of skaters we have there. BTW, as much as you miss Gabby, she is taking time off from training to focus on her mental health. She will come back when she is ready to :).Her teammates Alaine, Veronik, and Alicia are going to be a fantastic trio to represent this week.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
gosh... Canada NEVER sends its best athletes to SKAM because it's just one week before SCI.... and same the week after.. do not expect medals in Finland ;) LOL