2018-19 Canadian figure skating | Page 94 | Golden Skate

2018-19 Canadian figure skating

Ziotic

Medalist
On paper, seemingly.

Which is partly why I assume there must be more to this, since if Gabby returns to competition next season there’s no way she won’t be on the team.

I think it’s people who also get GP assignments.

So Gabby will be. Also likely Nic,Roman and Conrad as I think they are high enough to at least get one GP.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I think it’s people who also get GP assignments.

So Gabby will be. Also likely Nic,Roman and Conrad as I think they are high enough to at least get one GP.

NADEAU: 30 SB List, 56 WR List
SADOVSKY: 25 SB List, 62 WR List
ORZEL: 44 SB List, 47 WR List

At this time, none of the Nadeau, Sadovsky or Orzel are top 24 on either Seasons Best or World Ranking.

Sadovsky and Nadeau are close to top 24 on the SB list, but they could move down if men below them get higher SBs at Worlds. Orzel could move up on the SB list if he gets a higher score at JW, but probably not high enough (Gogolev's SB from the JGPF is at #26).

The WR gets purged after Worlds, eliminating the oldest year of data, and cutting last year's data down to 70% of its value. Several top-ranked men will drop drastically due to retirement (Rippon, Ge, Yan, Hendrickx, etc) or diminished recent performance data (Besseghier, Kovtun, Petrov). Orzel has the best opportunity to move up, since he will be going to JW so good results there plus list reorganization could move him at least near the top 24. Nadeau and Sadovsky have no more assignments this year and are too far down to make that big a leap based on list reorganization.

But the top 24s give guarantees for initial host selection. Host pick is another way to get on the GP, as well as alternate selection (based on SB). All three could still make the GP by one of the alternatives.

siberia82

Addicted to Canadian men's singles skating
Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Orzel could move up on the SB list if he gets a higher score at JW, but probably not high enough (Gogolev's SB from the JGPF is at #26).

The last I heard, Joseph was assigned to Junior Worlds, not Conrad.

Not certain this is the right place to post but have folks seen national team selection for next season is top 3 not 5 for all disciplines!! https://noticeboard.skatecanada.ca/2019/01/25/2019-2020-national-teams/

Do we know if the criteria is a Top 3 finish at Nationals AND a 2019 GP event, or is it Top 3 finish at Nationals OR a 2019 GP event?

I wonder what prompted Skate Canada to suddenly change its policy. Is this a cost-cutting measure?

Scout

Final Flight
Do we know if the criteria is a Top 3 finish at Nationals AND a 2019 GP event, or is it Top 3 finish at Nationals OR a 2019 GP event?

I wonder what prompted Skate Canada to suddenly change its policy. Is this a cost-cutting measure?

My personal interpretation is "AND".

If it is "OR", then that would most likely result in at least 5 skaters/teams on the National team for each discipline. That's because you have top 3 from Nationals, plus 3 host picks at the SC GP (usually the Canadian Champ, but then spread out to give opportunity to lower ranked host skaters and avoid top contenders taking each other out of GPF), plus anyone who doesn't meet the previous 2 items, but still has a GP event, which is likely to total at least 5 different skaters/teams.

In this case, I don't really see the point of changing it from top 5 to top 3. In fact, an "OR" interpretation would seem to make the criteria to finish top 3 at Nationals pretty much redundant. The National team would just be anyone who has a GP.

Ziotic

Medalist
NADEAU: 30 SB List, 56 WR List
SADOVSKY: 25 SB List, 62 WR List
ORZEL: 44 SB List, 47 WR List

At this time, none of the Nadeau, Sadovsky or Orzel are top 24 on either Seasons Best or World Ranking.

Sadovsky and Nadeau are close to top 24 on the SB list, but they could move down if men below them get higher SBs at Worlds. Orzel could move up on the SB list if he gets a higher score at JW, but probably not high enough (Gogolev's SB from the JGPF is at #26).

The WR gets purged after Worlds, eliminating the oldest year of data, and cutting last year's data down to 70% of its value. Several top-ranked men will drop drastically due to retirement (Rippon, Ge, Yan, Hendrickx, etc) or diminished recent performance data (Besseghier, Kovtun, Petrov). Orzel has the best opportunity to move up, since he will be going to JW so good results there plus list reorganization could move him at least near the top 24. Nadeau and Sadovsky have no more assignments this year and are too far down to make that big a leap based on list reorganization.

But the top 24s give guarantees for initial host selection. Host pick is another way to get on the GP, as well as alternate selection (based on SB). All three could still make the GP by one of the alternatives.

I wasn’t saying they were garunteed one, more juts likely to get one.

GP assignments usually go well past the top 24 SB and 24 WS. Nam, Nic, and Roman all weren’t guaranteed one this year but got one.

Same with Walsh/Michaud, Alaine, Ruest/Wolfe who all ended up with two.

But if it’s AND I doubt many people will be on the team. Pairs and Dance should be fine. But then just Keegan and Nam and no ladies potentially unless they get the host picks.

Scout

Final Flight
But if it’s AND I doubt many people will be on the team. Pairs and Dance should be fine. But then just Keegan and Nam and no ladies potentially unless they get the host picks.

Agree: if it's "AND", the team will be small. I'm guessing that's their goal. Like siberia82, I'm wondering if this is a cost-cutting measure.

At the very least, the last criteria (competing in the 2019-2020 season) must be an "AND".

In the case of "AND", I'm hoping that there may be additional discretionary choices aside from what was mentioned about formation of new teams.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
i am sure it's top 3 + other skaters assigned to GP... if anything it will help disciplines like Men or dance where Canada has more depth as those could add on one member or even two on good years, while a discipline like pairs may not "need" their 5... some years there have been only 6 o 7 teams at Nationals for pairs... so why fund 5 when only 3 or 4 are on the circuit competing? .. I am not seeing this as a cutback...

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I wasn’t saying they were garunteed one, more juts likely to get one.

GP assignments usually go well past the top 24 SB and 24 WS. Nam, Nic, and Roman all weren’t guaranteed one this year but got one.

Roman and Nam were host picks, and Nam was invited to SA.
Nadeau was invited to IDF but withdrew after the SP.

Same with Walsh/Michaud, Alaine, Ruest/Wolfe who all ended up with two.

There were so many pairs splits and injuries this past GP, and many ladies dropped out. W/M, R/W and Alaine were all picked off the substitute list to fill vacancies.

Ziotic

Medalist
And?

Yes, that’s what he said. And?

*She!

Exactly we all know people well past the garaunteed get slots.

Especially when it’s a fed that hosts a GP.

And host spots are still spots.

Look at samudurova and Rika they were host picks and now the GPF and Euro champions.

Ziotic

Medalist
Apologies. I normally use “they” in situations like this, but that’s what male-centric default language causes on occasion.
No offence taken at all!

It’s funny I sometimes assume people are male/female based on the language they use here and I’m always surprised when I find out I was wrong!

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Look at samudurova and Rika they were host picks and now the GPF and Euro champions.

Both Samodurova and Kihira got host picks AND a second event by host invitation right from the getgo. Russia and Japan had lots of very talented skater to chose from to skate at their home event. Naturally, their host picks would be high-achieving skaters.

BillNeal

You Know I'm a FS Fan...
Record Breaker
Larkyn has been assigned to Cup of Tyrol. Let’s go get that 29.00 :)!

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Why? Aren't Cotop, Mallet and Chartrand enough? Makes me wonder if Daleman isn't going to be ready for Worlds.

Scout

Final Flight
Why? Aren't Cotop, Mallet and Chartrand enough? Makes me wonder if Daleman isn't going to be ready for Worlds.

Perhaps as an alternate in case one of those three aren't able to skate?

I'm happy Larkyn is getting that opportunity and support!

They haven't announced the World team yet, despite the fact 4CC has been over for a week. Same as you, I'm wondering if Gabby's undecided or not healthy enough.

Osmond4gold

Record Breaker
Nadeau was invited to IDF but withdrew after the SP.

Skaters withdraw all the time for reasons not known to us, in what must be both agonizing and the best decision personally at that time. Happens to the best of them as in Kaetlyn at Skate Canada a few years back, and Gracie this season during the CoR.

And...:shrug:

Lyssa

On the Ice
Country
France
Skate Canada has added Aurora Cotop & Gabriella Daleman to the 2019 ISU World Team (+ Alaine Chartrand National Champion)