2018-19 Canadian figure skating | Page 106 | Golden Skate

2018-19 Canadian figure skating

gottadance

On the Ice
to me, moving up to seniors is not just about the spots on JGP or GP... it's about development... and also possibility at the end of the year....

I don't think Jo and Conrad, with one spot for 2020 worlds, are the best pick at this point... both of them are still developing and inconsistent. They have MORE potential than some Seniors as we have seen... but it's still a bit rough here and there... the last thing i would like is for Jo to skate at home and have a LP like he had at Junior worlds...
Conrad is a bit less extreme and has more quad opportunities.. his 3a is more stable... His skating skills are not as good but improving fast and he does emote and connect better... so I could see possibilities here... but if both of them remained in juniors to develop, and did a couple series B to get their TES minimums and Seniors ranking points, that would be good enough for me.

I am pretty sure that Canada will end up with way more than 7 JGP spots.... :)

I think we have to remember that Phan made the move to Toronto to train with the TCC group which was appaently quite traumatic for him - plus he got really sick in the Fall and lost strength and training time . I stillhave faith in his potential !

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I think we have to remember that Phan made the move to Toronto to train with the TCC group which was appaently quite traumatic for him - plus he got really sick in the Fall and lost strength and training time . I stillhave faith in his potential !

oh... don't read me wrong... I ADORE JOSEPH!!!!! I am a true phanfan ... though perhaps, i love him too much so i am more protective and want him to have a stellar junior season next year rather than a so so senior.. you are correct, TCC was a big move... so i would say it could be nice if he stayed junior with a senior B for instance, before going yet for another huge transition... :)

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I don't think anybody was denying his potential. He just needs more time to realize it, and in a lot of ways I think the JGP, where his chances of building confidence with some wins is much better, would probably serve him better at this point.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Well it was certainly not a stellar worlds for Canada. They didn't win one medal. They had no real upstart or some young skater who looked super promising. On the positive and it was just barely they earned two spots for ladies. And despite no medal from Weapo or G P they earned three spots. Two spots were earned from MTM / M but they failed to move up and trent and evelyn were not exactly earth shatteringly good or promising - nothign real good stood out. The men were disasterous in that they lost a spot and are down to one. Either one really were capable of top 8 even higher. They barely hung on to a spot for WTT. If this had been an olympic year it would have been a first for them to be not a medal threat as a team. They will have to rebuild. Pairs really is MTM -M only. Dance really are two teams going no where it seems. The Danadians? Who knows.
Ladies is very sad unless Gabby recovers or Kaetlyn comes back fiercely. The men - Stephen G is a few years away still. Well rebuild Canada right now the ship is sinking.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
On the positive side: Gabby gave a good performance and seemed pleased with her skates.

Canada may not have won a medal in dance, but all three teams skated well. The results seemed (at least to me) reeking of politics. The Russian fed has been pushing all season for a spot or spots on the podium, so of course that was going to happen.

gottadance

On the Ice
Well it was certainly not a stellar worlds for Canada. They didn't win one medal. They had no real upstart or some young skater who looked super promising. On the positive and it was just barely they earned two spots for ladies. And despite no medal from Weapo or G P they earned three spots. Two spots were earned from MTM / M but they failed to move up and trent and evelyn were not exactly earth shatteringly good or promising - nothign real good stood out. The men were disasterous in that they lost a spot and are down to one. Either one really were capable of top 8 even higher. They barely hung on to a spot for WTT. If this had been an olympic year it would have been a first for them to be not a medal threat as a team. They will have to rebuild. Pairs really is MTM -M only. Dance really are two teams going no where it seems. The Danadians? Who knows.
Ladies is very sad unless Gabby recovers or Kaetlyn comes back fiercely. The men - Stephen G is a few years away still. Well rebuild Canada right now the ship is sinking.

such doom and gloom . I think Canada has a bright future in Mens with a number of good juniors not even counting Gogo. I admit however that going down to 1 spot is bad news ! I have faith that Gabby will get it together and build on her comeback and come out very strong next season - she has all the talent . Plus I like the look of Aurora Cotop - super potential if she can stay injury free. In pairs I think people may be surprised with Bilodeau and Lubov , plus Isabelle Brasseur and partner have potential ( terribly sorry I cant remember his name ) and then we will see if Julie Sequin finds a good partner too . So , I say dont count Canada out just yet !!

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
There's a whole lot of ground between "stellar" and "the ship is sinking". The men had a disappointing event; everybody else was ranked about where they'd reasonably be expected to be able to (KMT and Michael, had they had a better free, would only have moved up one ordinal, based on how everybody else skated). It was a decent Worlds overall, though I think for most of the attendees (other than Walsh/Michaud and Nam) Four Continents was the stronger event.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
such doom and gloom . I think Canada has a bright future in Mens with a number of good juniors not even counting Gogo. I admit however that going down to 1 spot is bad news ! I have faith that Gabby will get it together and build on her comeback and come out very strong next season - she has all the talent . Plus I like the look of Aurora Cotop - super potential if she can stay injury free. In pairs I think people may be surprised with Bilodeau and Lubov , plus Isabelle Brasseur and partner have potential ( terribly sorry I cant remember his name ) and then we will see if Julie Sequin finds a good partner too . So , I say dont count Canada out just yet !!

What Isabelle Brasseur is skating in pairs again? Isn't she like in her forties? Maybe even 50? She is older than the British lady. I do wish Canada well but it doesn't look great right now.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
It does look a bit gloomy for Canada. No medal at worlds. Hopefully WEapo continue. GP didn't move up - this was the program (fd) that could have done it. I mean they barely held on to a WTT spot. That is the equivalent to women's hockey if Canada and the US didn't make the finals. I do agree Gabby coudl come back with fire and so could Kaetlyn. The men though really need to give time for the up and coming guys but Nam and keegan need to get consistent. MTM M may have done about where we expected them but that isn't reall good in the bigger picture. The issue do we seem them with potentia to win a medal. Probably not uness there are a tonne of errors.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
What Isabelle Brasseur is skating in pairs again? Isn't she like in her forties? Maybe even 50? She is older than the British lady. I do wish Canada well but it doesn't look great right now.

No it's her young relative they are referring to.

Koatterce

On the Ice
Country
Canada

No it's her young relative they are referring to.

Justine Brasseur (Isabelle's niece) & Mark Bardei (he came from Ukraine, had good junior level results with his previous partner)
imo they had a solid nationals debut considering they haven't been together for long and that was their first competition together

skatenewbie

Medalist
i wonder who will go to WTT in ladies and men? it's good practice for Gabby but if she plummeted there it might affect her negatively. I wonder if Keegan will go, he sure want to comeback strong

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
i wonder who will go to WTT in ladies and men? it's good practice for Gabby but if she plummeted there it might affect her negatively. I wonder if Keegan will go, he sure want to comeback strong

technically all the top skaters have to go... Alaine has already said she is going.

Skatie

On the Ice
GP are ahead of WP in world standings so they should go to WTT. I think that’s fair as WP chose to skip Grand Prix season and make money on tour.

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
GP are ahead of WP in world standings so they should go to WTT. I think that’s fair as WP chose to skip Grand Prix season and make money on tour.

I would selfishly love to see Vincent FD once again. And that new gorgeous RD dress on Piper. But that's just my bias calling maybe:laugh:

LadyB

Record Breaker
I would selfishly love to see Vincent FD once again. And that new gorgeous RD dress on Piper. But that's just my bias calling maybe:laugh:

Wouldn't it be lovely. Although Piper said in her IG story that it was the last time they skated to Vincent... I hope not! If I remember that correctly, they're giving training sessions at the start of April. When does SoI Canada start?

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
Wouldn't it be lovely. Although Piper said in her IG story that it was the last time they skated to Vincent... I hope not! If I remember that correctly, they're giving training sessions at the start of April. When does SoI Canada start?

I saw on Twitter that Carol Lane gave ppl asking about Vincent hints that they will perform it at SoI tour. I have no IG so I don't know from what date Piper's story is, maybe they were not sure about world standings after Worlds/how the selection will work? Regardless, it would be a treat!

LadyB

Record Breaker
I saw on Twitter that Carol Lane gave ppl asking about Vincent hints that they will perform it at SoI tour. I have no IG so I don't know from what date Piper's story is, maybe they were not sure about world standings after Worlds/how the selection will work? Regardless, it would be a treat!

Good point. The post was straight after FD, so results hadn't been factored in. :cheer: Anyway, it would be really strange if they wouldn't perform Vincent on tour.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Justine Brasseur (Isabelle's niece) & Mark Bardei (he came from Ukraine, had good junior level results with his previous partner)
imo they had a solid nationals debut considering they haven't been together for long and that was their first competition together

I heard that Brasseur/Bardei have split.