2018-19 Canadian figure skating | Page 100 | Golden Skate

2018-19 Canadian figure skating

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I still haven't heard the the rationale behind the opinion that Kaetlyn's case (at late age stable and success developing to the (7+2)-level) is not unique.

Kaetlyn's career may not be usual, but it is not entirely unique.

Shizuka Arakawa, who won the 2006 OGM, began skating as a senior like Kaetlyn, at 16. But during the first half of her career, she was attending school and skating was secondary; her results were mediocre. In 2002, at 20, she was skating full time and her results began to improve. She went from finishing 22nd at 1998 Worlds and 13th at the 1998 Olympics to 8th at Worlds in 2003, then a World Championship in 2004 and the OGM in 2006.

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
Similar career path as Javier? I don't think so. Javier Fernandez started his senior competitive career in 2007 and ended it this season---that's 12 years of competitive history, including:

12 GP medals, 7 of them gold
2 GPF silver, 1 GPF bronze
7 European Championships
2 World Championships and 1 World bronze
1 Olympic bronze

What is truly outstanding about Javier is he started out skating in a country with zero history in figure skating and built a fantastic career.

Kaetlyn has had a great career, but she did it in a country with a long history of lofty achievements in figure skating. And her senior career so far spans 5 years, not 12.

I understand Javier has 2 world Bronzes, 2013 and 2014.

jillredhand

Record Breaker
do you really think evelyn is in the mix? It would be nice if her teams develop but right now they almost look like placecard holders for Julianne or Lyubov.

Disagree wildly. I've already thrown all my cash into the Walsh/Michaud future world champions fund. We can't just bank on shuffling and recombining the same 3-6 skaters endlessly into new pairs forever and hope that medals and spots keep coming in. Walsh and Michaud are rough right now, but to me they are the future of Canadian pairs. I hope that Ilyushechkina/Bilodeau and Seguin/Whoever can have good results too- but I'd bet that if Walsh and Michaud just stick together and work on developing together, they may get enough of an advantage over the instability of all the pairs swaps to run ahead. Even this one year of competition together while all of Luba, Charlie, and Julianne have been out of commission might do it, even though it wasn't a breakout season for W/M.

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
We will respond in time just as we have after Karen, Liz, Joannie, Gabby and Kaetlyn, all mature women who became either World Champions, Olympic and World medalists, not to mention that 50% of total World podiums currently, have been claimed by Canadian women the past 2 seasons. :) For a country with less citizens than the Ukraine, Poland or the state of California, is remarkable.

Aurora Cotop has possibly the best coach as Ravi knows how to take raw ingredients and a strong work ethic, to make a skater extraordinary, especially post puberty. There are reasons why Medvedeva chose Canada to train, as she wanted a career after 17. "Holy puberty" indeed, Orlov!

I'm reading this discussion with interest and don't have anything to say on the big question, except to thumbs-up a few answers.

But I'm glad you mentioned the population issue. It's not just about the total number. Imagine how many USA citizens live below the "snow line" and have little or no natural exposure to winter sports. Think about this in relation to what proportion of Canadians see and are constantly aware of winter sports. I grew up in Oklahoma, and I assure you I never saw a sheet of ice suitable to skate on. There were very few and far between rinks and no reason to even know about them. A few more today, but still, there's a reason you don't hear about many skaters from Oklahoma, Arkansas, South Carolina, etc. Figure skating isn't a very visible part of the culture. Hockey has gained a following in southern states ... and that's all "ice skating" means to many folks.

Of course there are pockets of figure skating in a few southern states: Texas, Florida, Southern California. But in the warmer-climate states, as in warmer-climate countries like Spain and Mexico, there's got to be a history, infrastructure, or someone with a powerful interest to develop figure skating.

Scout

Final Flight
do you really think evelyn is in the mix? It would be nice if her teams develop but right now they almost look like placecard holders for Julianne or Lyubov.

I agree that Evelyn and Trennt need to develop. But they have made great progress this year. If they continue that progress, they will be in the mix. It's too early to write this team off. I think a lot of people judge too quickly if a team or skater doesn't show great success quickly. Lots of people didn't think Kirsten made a good choice in teaming up with Michael, but they've been making some good progress. Not immediately or quickly, but steadily. I'd like to give Evelyn and Trennt that opportunity and continue to support them for now instead of dismissing them as placecard holders.

As for Julianne and Lubov - Let's let Julianne find a partner before we so quickly dismiss Evelyn in favour of Julianne. And let's see how Lubov and Charlie gel and their jump consistency. I do think it could be a good battle, instead of just handing it over to Lubov over Evelyn.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Disagree wildly. I've already thrown all my cash into the Walsh/Michaud future world champions fund. We can't just bank on shuffling and recombining the same 3-6 skaters endlessly into new pairs forever and hope that medals and spots keep coming in. Walsh and Michaud are rough right now, but to me they are the future of Canadian pairs. I hope that Ilyushechkina/Bilodeau and Seguin/Whoever can have good results too- but I'd bet that if Walsh and Michaud just stick together and work on developing together, they may get enough of an advantage over the instability of all the pairs swaps to run ahead. Even this one year of competition together while all of Luba, Charlie, and Julianne have been out of commission might do it, even though it wasn't a breakout season for W/M.

wow. I am going to have review Evelyn. I just didn't think she had it. But throw all your cash into this is a pretty bold statement You must think with your heart a lot.

SkySkater

On the Ice
Kaetlyn's career may not be usual, but it is not entirely unique.

Shizuka Arakawa, who won the 2006 OGM, began skating as a senior like Kaetlyn, at 16. But during the first half of her career, she was attending school and skating was secondary; her results were mediocre. In 2002, at 20, she was skating full time and her results began to improve. She went from finishing 22nd at 1998 Worlds and 13th at the 1998 Olympics to 8th at Worlds in 2003, then a World Championship in 2004 and the OGM in 2006.

I’d argue that someone like Alena Leonova would be an example of this. She only really appeared in her late teens winning junior worlds at the age of 18 and learnt her triple toe triple toe that she still has at 28 at that time. Maybe she wasn’t doing an ultra competitive layout anymore but her jumps have undeniably lasted well and are of impressive height with relatively good technique on them.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
we are talking about how impressive late development is for Kaetlyn but do not forget she was sidelined with a major injury for over a year.... coming back and relearning everything from scratch again, at a much later age, missing out on national team in 2016.. to reach worlds and olympic podiums the next two years is one of the things that are unique about Kaetlyn. A true role model.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
jo and gogo skated well in the SP.. thought not flawlessly... .they sit in 7th and 10th... and will be looking to make up some ground.. the top 6 did very well... as a matter of fact i think the top 11 is separated by 5 points or so... so it's anyone's game in the free.. .especially those who have quads

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I was impressed by how Joseph handled the bad 3A landing so smoothly and then completed the rest of the program.

Osmond4gold

Record Breaker
we are talking about how impressive late development is for Kaetlyn but do not forget she was sidelined with a major injury for over a year.... coming back and relearning everything from scratch again, at a much later age, missing out on national team in 2016.. to reach worlds and olympic podiums the next two years is one of the things that are unique about Kaetlyn. A true role model.

A role model indeed 4EC and a much different path than any other of the current female in her category. Breaking the mould and all expectations, except for a few of us here. Can you imagine the hardware had she not been hurt, battling a career threatening injury and competed being healthy in the gap years?

siberia82

Addicted to Canadian men's singles skating
Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Non-YouTube vids of the Canadian men at Junior Worlds:

Stephen Gogolev SP (No Commentary 720p): https://streamable.com/pbbud

Joseph Phan SP (No Commentary 720p): https://streamable.com/94995

I don't know if this is a temporary glitch or a permanent problem, but Dailymotion isn't allowing me to upload videos there anymore (although thankfully my older vids are still available). It was already a disaster for me to lose access to Vimeo, so I would be heartbroken if Dailymotion is also no longer an option. :cry:

Osmond4gold

Record Breaker
Thank God that I have no attachment for Junior Worlds. I would rather ask, "what's the dream post 16". I stopped watching after Kaetlyn placed 10th in 2012, behind Yulia, Gracie, Christina G. and Joshi. The junior canvassing by some nations needs to meet the reality.

BillNeal

You Know I'm a FS Fan...
Record Breaker
Won’t surprise me if Gogo manages to transpose the two digits of his SP placement with the free on Friday. After all, he won by almost 13 points overall at JGPF (He was only 13!, as RB would say) with ground to make up after the short also.

BillNeal

You Know I'm a FS Fan...
Record Breaker
Looking at the protocols, not only did L/L get the highest levels but they also decisively won GOE by at least 1 point versus the other Top 4 teams, while virtually tying on PCS. Clearly, they have worked hard after getting shafted off the podium far too many times, showing improved precision in their edgework and a confident performance, the judges giving them deserved respect for their RD. Truly the class of the field today.

Also, the combined placements for the Canadians is 14 right now, so fingers crossed for some additional good things in the free.

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I admit, going into this I was just hoping L/L would get a medal. Now they've raised my hopes and I'll be disappointed if they don't win.