2018-19 Canadian figure skating | Page 101 | Golden Skate

2018-19 Canadian figure skating

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I admit, going into this I was just hoping L/L would get a medal. Now they've raised my hopes and I'll be disappointed if they don't win.

yup..... i am overcoming this overwhelming feeling with only one hope : that they skate well, without unnecessary pressure or expectations. They are about 5 points ahead of 4th place, this cushion is quite big in ice dance.

kenboy123

On the Ice
OFF TOPIC: I'm kind of new to the rules of figure skating...so, when does someone move up to seniors???...what are the requirements and conditions to move up to seniors???...i'm seen the names Lajoie/Lagha for a long time (or at least it seems that way)...it feels like they should be in seniors by now, but i checked their ages just now and they are younger than i thought they were...

Koatterce

On the Ice
Country
Canada
OFF TOPIC: I'm kind of new to the rules of figure skating...so, when does someone move up to seniors???...what are the requirements and conditions to move up to seniors???...i'm seen the names Lajoie/Lagha for a long time (or at least it seems that way)...it feels like they should be in seniors by now, but i checked their ages just now and they are younger than i thought they were...

To be eligible for juniors, skaters must be between 13 and 19 years old (or 21 for the male in pairs/dance) by the start of the season (July 1).
To be eligible for seniors, skaters must be 15 years old by the start of the season (July 1).

Juniors can move up whenever they want, as long as they are eligible for seniors. Some skaters will move up right away, others will wait until they age out, and others somewhere in the middle.

In Marjorie and Zach's case, they were 17 and 19 at the beginning of the season. They are in the overlap area where they could compete in either juniors or seniors (or both, but that's less common in dance than other disciplines because the required pattern is different). They won't age out for another season, though I won't be surprised if they move up next season

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
To be eligible for juniors, skaters must be between 13 and 19 years old (or 21 for the male in pairs/dance) by the start of the season (July 1).
To be eligible for seniors, skaters must be 15 years old by the start of the season (July 1).

Juniors can move up whenever they want, as long as they are eligible for seniors. Some skaters will move up right away, others will wait until they age out, and others somewhere in the middle.

In Marjorie and Zach's case, they were 17 and 19 at the beginning of the season. They are in the overlap area where they could compete in either juniors or seniors (or both, but that's less common in dance than other disciplines because the required pattern is different). They won't age out for another two seasons, though I won't be surprised if they move up before that

Actually, next season will be their last of junior eligibility (Zach turns 20 in April, and Marjorie is already 18). You have to be younger than 19 (or 21) on July 1st to be eligible. They'll likely move up, based on their comments in interviews this year.

Koatterce

On the Ice
Country
Canada
Actually, next season will be their last of junior eligibility (Zach turns 20 in April, and Marjorie is already 18). You have to be younger than 19 (or 21) on July 1st to be eligible. They'll likely move up, based on their comments in interviews this year.

oops i can't do math, fixed haha

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
They'll likely move up, based on their comments in interviews this year.
Yes, I’d expect as much. Particularly as they’ve said they aim to go to Beijing, so it’s important to start establishing themselves as seniors promptly.

BillNeal

You Know I'm a FS Fan...
Record Breaker
So it seems that for JGP spots, Canada is entitled to send one man to each JGP next season (down from two at each event). However, Italy may not use both spots at each event, so Canada, as the fourth ranking ISU member in today's standings would be next in line to fill the vacancy.

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
So it seems that for JGP spots, Canada is entitled to send one man to each JGP next season (down from two at each event). However, Italy may not use both spots at each event, so Canada, as the fourth ranking ISU member in today's standings would be next in line to fill the vacancy.

Italy also had 2 spots at week event for this JGP season, and they only used 5 spots total. And then France and Georgia with 7 spots may not use all of them (each only sent one man this year). And then Azerbaijan may not use all six of their spots as well.

Canada will be first in line for all unused spots. The US was in that position last year, and ended up with two men at all but one event.

BillNeal

You Know I'm a FS Fan...
Record Breaker
Congrats to Lajoie/Lagha! They truly have worked on their programs to improve them throughout the season (remember that invalidated choreo step sequence at their first JGP), the speed, transitions, and flow :love:. They stood out among a strong final group of dancers and were class both days. Good luck in seniors! And also to Fabbri/Ayer, finishing Top 10 at JWC in their first year of partnership together! Both these teams have taken what they learned from their less stellar moments of the season to deliver today, gaining three spots for Canada next season. What a great way to start a Saturday :)

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
This is weirdly the inverse of the JGP Final, where Stephen won gold in men's and Marjorie/Zach finished off the podium but came third in the free dance (with the obvious exception that the JGP Final doesn't have small medals, so they got nothing for that).

believed

On the Ice
I’m so happy for Marjorie and Zach! Their programs have been the best of the class (senior and junior included) and I’m so glad that they won the title!!!

BillNeal

You Know I'm a FS Fan...
Record Breaker
Quoting SnowWhite's past post from the Can Nats thread:

Also, of the top ten, 3 are aging out of junior (F/MP, F/A, O/R) and 1 other has said they will move up to senior (L/L). The other six should stay junior (unless there are splits).

Galiyanova/Lochhead have 2 more seasons of junior eligibilty.
McIsaac/Circelli have 2 more seasons.
Makita/Gunara have 3 more junior seasons.
D’Alessandro/Waddell have 4 more seasons.
Bashynska/Beaumont have 4 more junior seasons.
Bronsard/Bouaraguia have 4 more junior seasons.

At this point, it looks like these six teams are going to get the majority of JGP spots (14 in total for Canada). Any novice teams moving up?

kenboy123

On the Ice
Well...it’s nice to know we will always have good dance teams even if ice dance is the most boring to watch...waiting for Googolev to catch up ...pairs and ladies ...no one to watch in the juniors to watch ... maybe Walsh/ Michaud or Cotop might do something once Osmond and Moore-Towers/Marinaro (I cant spell his name) retires which will be very soon (neither will probably go to the next Olympics) although I’m not counting on it

jillredhand

Record Breaker
Alison gets us our second JW spot back, gone since 2015.

I'm so happy for her! Top 10 finish is a great result, and she did two clean programs that she can be proud of. Not sure if she's planning on moving up to seniors next year or not ... maybe a double dipping season?

Osmond4gold

Record Breaker
Well...it’s nice to know we will always have good dance teams even if ice dance is the most boring to watch...waiting for Googolev to catch up ...pairs and ladies ...no one to watch in the juniors to watch ... maybe Walsh/ Michaud or Cotop might do something once Osmond and Moore-Towers/Marinaro (I cant spell his name) retires which will be very soon (neither will probably go to the next Olympics) although I’m not counting on it

Live in the moment as they say, kenboy, and the universe is unfolding as it should, as per https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PNq_DTmVCWs. We have every reason to be excited here! Can't wait to see our next Olympic Team with both veterans and new found stars.

BillNeal

You Know I'm a FS Fan...
Record Breaker
Alison gets us our second JW spot back, gone since 2015.

And also with her placement, Canada gets to send 1 lady to each JGP next season, up from this season's 1 entry in 5 events (although we did receive 2 extra spots for stepping up to host JGP Richmond, after China declined).

nadster

Final Flight
And we might get a few more extra spots ( maybe just 1 or 2 but still something ) as we are second in line behind Korea to fill any spots unfilled by those countries that earned 6 or more spots.