2018-19 Canadian figure skating | Page 104 | Golden Skate

2018-19 Canadian figure skating

Osmond4gold

Record Breaker
Very impressed by Gabby overall today and that 3z3t was AWESOME! She had so much elegance and presence and did not let a few glitches be her undoing. A vey respectable 11th and I am so happy that her joy for skating is back. :love: Joannie would be thrilled by the 2019 rendition of her 2010 LP.

Thanks also to Alaine for her role in obtaining 2 spots for Montreal worlds next year.

Orlov

Medalist
I would like to pay my respects to Gabrielle. I love the "thin red line" type of stories. Even while watching her SP, I realized that the scenario of your championship is repeated, and that Gaby most likely would not have enough physical abilities for the second half FP. And it happened. But unlike the nationals, Gaby found the strength of her spirit to complete a decent job. She saved your two quotas. My congratulations! I was impressed.
Gaby, gain the form, finally restore your spirit. We are waiting for you in next season!

kenboy123

On the Ice
I don't anticipate it happening, but if we end up losing a spot in Ice Dance, it's going to be a shocking moment...and if we drop down to one in men's....:eek:

Osmond4gold

Record Breaker
I don't anticipate it happening, but if we end up losing a spot in Ice Dance, it's going to be a shocking moment...and if we drop down to one in men's....:eek:

Speaking of "if's", so what if Zombies take over the world, or the Night King takes Winterfell, or the Tooth Fairy forgets her coin purse...what then? How some here are able to sleep at night not knowing what may lay ahead..., I do not know.

Thanks also to Alaine for her role in obtaining 2 spots for Montreal worlds next year.

This. Alaine was no doubt hoping for more, but by gutting it out to make the cut for the Free Skate she gave Gabby the platform she needed to spring from.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Very impressed by Gabby overall today and that 3z3t was AWESOME! She had so much elegance and presence and did not let a few glitches be her undoing. A vey respectable 11th and I am so happy that her joy for skating is back. :love: Joannie would be thrilled by your 2019 rendition of her 2010 LP.

I must be confused about the math. I thought to secure two spots, the placements had to add to 28 or lower. 11+ 23 > 28

Canadianskatingfan

On the Ice
I must be confused about the math. I thought to secure two spots, the placements had to add to 28 or lower. 11+ 23 > 28

Skaters placing 16th-24th receive 16 points no matter the placement. And skaters not qualifying for FS recieve 18. 11+16=27 so they just barely made the cut.

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
16th or lower in the free skate = 16. So it's 11 + 16. Just as anybody who doesn't make the free = 18.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Skaters placing 16th-24th receive 16 points no matter the placement. And skaters not qualifying for FS recieve 18. 11+16=27 so they just barely made the cut.

Of course. I am a dunce. I had completely forgotten the FS 16 point minimum.

kenboy123

On the Ice
Speaking of "if's", so what if Zombies take over the world, or the Night King takes Winterfell, or the Tooth Fairy forgets her coin purse...what then? How some here are able to sleep at night knowing what may lay ahead..., I do not know.

What I listed are actual possibilities...what you listed have next to no chance of happening...and we all know Canada's team isn't what it is last year...

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
The competition at next year's Nationals in the men's event will be even more intense.:laugh:

Not something I think anybody was expecting since the men have actually been doing pretty well this year, all things considered, but with the volatility in men's skating, you never know what can happen.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Canada is waiting for Gogolev to turn senior that is all.

All it takes is one phenom to turn things around. Look at the US between 2010-2016 granted the US had way more depth and never same close to dropping to one spot but their wasn't really anyone capable of challenging for a spot on the podium back then mainly because US men were behind on the quad revolution. Then Nathan who everyone had been waiting for since he was 10 years old comes along and does quads like no one had seen before and now two US men are on the World podium mainly because of how he pushed the US men and inspired younger skaters like Vincent to do them and its paid off in a big way.

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
All it takes is one phenom to turn things around. Look at the US between 2010-2016 granted the US had way more depth and never same close to dropping to one spot but their wasn't really anyone capable of challenging for a spot on the podium back then mainly because US men were behind on the quad revolution. Then Nathan who everyone had been waiting for since he was 10 years old comes along and does quads like no one had seen before and now two US men are on the World podium mainly because of how he pushed the US men and inspired younger skaters like Vincent to do them and its paid off in a big way.
I don't think Nathan gets particular credit for Vincent. The quad revolution was a well-known international phenomenon; anyone who wants to be competitive already knew they had to try them, and Vincent is only a year behind Nathan.

We've already got plenty of men's skaters who do quads and are capable of placing in the top ten, it just didn't happen today, which is unfortunate.

sheetz

Record Breaker
I don't think Nathan gets particular credit for Vincent. The quad revolution was a well-known international phenomenon; anyone who wants to be competitive already knew they had to try them, and Vincent is only a year behind Nathan.

Vincent has stated in interviews that he looked up to Nathan when they were very young and that he had always pushed himself to match Nathan's skills set. This was at least 10 years ago and long before the quad revolution. Tomoki has said similar things.

kenboy123

On the Ice
None of the Canadian senior men are international competition material, as "successful" as Messing has been lately...did anyone ever think he was a contender for anything internationally???...at least Daleman is internationally competitive on a good day and who knows if Osmond is coming back or not...(she never said she was returning next season, she just said she has not retired yet), but assuming she does...2 spots is still useful...we don't need more than 1 spot for the men ....none of them are internationally competitive...

*patiently waiting for Gogolev*

- - - Updated - - -

Btw, all the US men talk belongs in another thread...

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
None of the Canadian senior men are international competition material, as "successful" as Messing has been lately...did anyone ever think he was a contender for anything internationally???
This is patently not true. He was fourth at 4CC just last month (and probably should have won bronze with accurate technical calling, but that's neither here nor there). He doesn't have the level of technical content of the very top guys, but he has equivalent or greater content to a number of guys who actually are in the top ten this year -- and, y'know, he was in the top ten last year.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
i think something is clear... it's not true that our men do not belong.. actually, it is with dance, the one discipline where we have many contenders with good skating skills, performance qualities and QUADS.

Nam and Keegan both had a bad day at the office when they forgot to combo on their second triple axel, losing both on base value and goe for a jump in the bonus zone...

If you look at their scores, with the combo in, they both would have been ahead of Moris... at 13 and 14 respectively, which would have given the 2 spots to Canada.

What is infuriating is that Keegan made the same mistake in the short.... and has lost a triple axel in a competition last year as well... (don't remember which one)...

So this is ultimately a combination of bad luck and lack of strategic thinking. Not a question of whether our men are capable of being in the top ten.

Look at the Israelis if you want to see what a very bad day can do...