2018-19 Canadian figure skating | Page 109 | Golden Skate

2018-19 Canadian figure skating

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
YES!

I didn't know Conrad could do all 5 quads. Great to see he's upping his game and pushing forward technically. Seems like training at the Cricket Club with so many other top names and direct competition is really working for him.
He'd posted about training them in the past, though obviously he hasn't done most of them in competition, but he's been saying he plans to introduce more quads next season.

fzztsimmons

On the Ice
I didn’t see her hit her face, I wonder why there’s a bruise there.
I just studied the clip of it, and I think she may have smacked her jaw as she went down. It definitely looks like it could have rebounded a bit. I have to say she looked quite visibly winded and in pain during her program, so you have to commend her strength for fighting through! I hope next year is a much better season for her!

danse

On the Ice
2020 Canadian Nationals tickets just went on sale this morning at 10am. All event tickets only at the moment - it's happening in Mississauga at the Paramount Fine Foods Centre (aka the Hershey Centre).

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
TSL is pretty unerring with that. I wasn't expecting a coaching change that would involve changing cities because of Stephen's age, but on reflection, he's clearly got ambitious parents willing to spend the money/make the move. Raf's a great coach, so I'm interested to see where this goes.

They also report that Lee Barkell has taken a job at the Granite Club, so that's presumably going to see a lot of his TCC students move with him.

lovaticcanada

On the Ice
I think Raf is the better coach for Stephen at this age. If it is true that Lee is leaving Cricket, then you either leave with Lee or go back to Brian, but both are not ideal situations.

Sabrina

Record Breaker
So it means Stephen is training in US. I wonder why did he move. He improved so much...but I understand that sometimes as a skater you need another coach in order to get either a restart or a different take. But at this age that means, at least one parent has to move with him.

DSQ

Record Breaker
Country
United-Kingdom
They also report that Lee Barkell has taken a job at the Granite Club, so that's presumably going to see a lot of his TCC students move with him.

So that means Gabby will leave TCC? It’ll be interesting to see what happens there. Perhaps being in a different environment will be beneficial?

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
So it means Stephen is training in US. I wonder why did he move. He improved so much...but I understand that sometimes as a skater you need another coach in order to get either a restart or a different take. But at this age that means, at least one parent has to move with him.

Last we knew, his only main coach was Lee Barkell, and as Colonel Green said it is also rumoured that Lee is leaving TCC. If that's true, Stephen was going to have to make a change regardless, whether that was working with someone else at TCC (back to Brian if he had time), moving with Lee (obviously not as significant of a move, but still a new environment) or a brand new coach.

And of course, him moving to Raf is only a rumour at this point. TSL is usually very good with stuff involving the Cricket Club, but they have wrongly reported that skaters were moving to Raf in the past (like Ting), so we don't know for sure.

theharleyquinn

Medalist
Last we knew, his only main coach was Lee Barkell, and as Colonel Green said it is also rumoured that Lee is leaving TCC. If that's true, Stephen was going to have to make a change regardless, whether that was working with someone else at TCC (back to Brian if he had time), moving with Lee (obviously not as significant of a move, but still a new environment) or a brand new coach.

And of course, him moving to Raf is only a rumour at this point. TSL is usually very good with stuff involving the Cricket Club, but they have wrongly reported that skaters were moving to Raf in the past (like Ting), so we don't know for sure.

To be fair at least on the Ting/Raf front, it sounds like there's some shifting with Tom Z's stead right now anyway that may be causing some disruption, if Camden's move means anything. But imo it's probably for the best if Ting doesn't change too much going into her first senior season.

Gabby's been at TCC for so long. Seems like a big shift even if she keeps her main coach.

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
To be fair at least on the Ting/Raf front, it sounds like there's some shifting with Tom Z's stead right now anyway that may be causing some disruption, if Camden's move means anything. But imo it's probably for the best if Ting doesn't change too much going into her first senior season.

Gabby's been at TCC for so long. Seems like a big shift even if she keeps her main coach.

I meant last off season though, when IIRC they said something about Ting going to go to Raf and she ended up with Tom instead.

Gabby has been at TCC for about 4 years. Before that she was at Richmond Hill with Andrei Berezintsev and Inga Zusev.