2018-19 Canadian figure skating | Page 111 | Golden Skate

2018-19 Canadian figure skating

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Schumacher placed 10th at JW---the last Canadian lady to do that was Kaetlyn Osmond.

Scout

Final Flight
Schumacher placed 10th at JW---the last Canadian lady to do that was Kaetlyn Osmond.

Not sure where you're going with this. Alison did have a great JW. And placement in the last couple of years by Aurora and Sarah Tamura was much lower. But following Kaetlyn's 10th was two years of better than 10th placements by Alaine and Gabby.

Ice Dance

Record Breaker

She did, but if there winds up being only one spot outside of the national champion and the lady who finished top 12 at Worlds, there's only one spot at SC. Schumacher finished 7th behind six other Canadian ladies at the same Senior National Championships. She could earn an SC spot in competition this summer, but I don't see her having much of an argument for one now. Aurora's finish at Worlds doesn't exactly engender a clear argument either. Mallet probably has the most balanced one from last season on paper (higher SB score than the other ladies other than Gabby & Alaine, top 9 finish at 4CCs above Larkyn & Alaine, medaled at Nationals), but she may get superseded as she did for Worlds. Pineault didn't have a season to make an argument. If I were SC, I'd let them all fight it out over the summer. None of them have done enough to scream "contender" so why not go with who looks the strongest at the time in question? (I'm all for giving Schumacher & Cotop the chance to gain experience on the senior circuit. Just not certain it's vital they do it at SC if they don't show their stuff during the preseason).

Bluediamonds09

Medalist
It will be so exciting to see Aurora and Veronik on the GP circuit! I hope both will stay injury free this season and show us their best. What worries me is: does either of these ladies have a 3-3?

Gabby: I think she can do a 3lutz-3toe in the sp. she should go for it.

Koatterce

On the Ice
Country
Canada
It will be so exciting to see Aurora and Veronik on the GP circuit! I hope both will stay injury free this season and show us their best. What worries me is: does either of these ladies have a 3-3?

Gabby: I think she can do a 3lutz-3toe in the sp. she should go for it.

Aurora and Veronik both have a 3T-3T at this point in time. Both were working back from injury last season hence their lower tech content, so I expect that they will reincorporate their harder jumps more this season as they continue recovering.

Ziotic

Medalist
Is it possible Alaine is no longer competing, or at least not this season.

It seems odd to me for SC to not have at least given their national champ a host spot?

And they could have also made a case to get her to SA over Veronik, I’m not complaining I’m just stating a fact.

Tavi...

Record Breaker

It seems odd to me for SC to not have at least given their national champ a host spot?

And they could have also made a case to get her to SA over Veronik, I’m not complaining I’m just stating a fact.

TSL just did a post GPF assignments episode with Meagan Duhamel. She didn’t know anything about Alaine’s situation.

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada

It's certainly odd, but Skate Canada is pretty good about giving formal notices about skaters' status, e.g., we just got one of those for Kaitlyn & Andrew stepping back. If Alaine was retiring or taking time away, you would assume we'd hear about it.

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
Could also be an injury or a health issue. Those we don't usually hear about.

Last year she signed up for the Quebec summer event. She is not on the list for this season.

Scout

Final Flight
And Alaine also isn't on the National team for 2019-2020, so I'm leaning towards she's decided not to compete.