2018-19 Canadian figure skating | Page 59 | Golden Skate

2018-19 Canadian figure skating

TGee

Record Breaker
the top 2 teams deserved top two... no question there :)
It really is a matter of the scores between competitions being even more incomparable than usual.

The first place team in this case deserved extra in my view for sustaining the performance and the levels through so many tempo changes. It was a challenging choice of music technically and they made it work and more.

I'm not as convinced about the scoring of the second place time in comparison to the top placements at the earlier JGPs.

Osmond4gold

Record Breaker
I have divested from Canadian juniors for some time now. If truth be known, it is a process as we all know. Some countries believe if you are not a World medalists by 16, you're done. Others wait patiently for promising juniors to mature and grow as individuals and skaters. I am in the latter camp, as Osmond, Chan, Messing, V&M, D&R, W/P, G/P, MT/M have proven, that some who are older than 20, are still in their prime and worth the wait!

BillNeal

You Know I'm a FS Fan...
Record Breaker
As posted in the KO FanFest earlier today; what a great read!

https://www.ifsmagazine.com/kaetlyn-osmond-dream-season/

Thanks for sharing O24G! And to add to mrrice's sentiments: courageous. For coming back after getting injured and hitting rock bottom, getting through the long program at Skate Canada 2015 with a smile, skating last to win the WSM, overcoming her nerves (in front of millions watching) to win the OBM, and laying it down skating first to become the World Champion. Thanks to her supportive parents and Ravi, a great coach who understood exactly what KO needed, that we got to see this amazing journey.

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
There's no point in comparing scores across competitions. (Last year, for example, Lajoie & Lagha had the 2nd highest junior score at a JGP event heading into the JGPF, and they never replicated that head-to-head. Ushakova & Nekrasov had the highest junior FD score at a JGP event heading into the JGPF, and they never replicated that head-to-head either).

Nguyen & Kolesnik are a young team with a ton of talent. They currently have a very tough field ahead in Slovakia, against both Shevchenko & Eremenko and Shanaeva & Naryzhnyy. (It's possible Russia might move its teams, but they don't have much space to do it in; and if the Greens are healthy, they will be at the other two events. My guess is that Russia will only move S&N if they think N&K are more of a threat than the Greens, and that at at least S&E will be there). If N&K get into the JGPF, they will have earned it. Either way, we will get the head-to-heads this season.

StephenGfan

Final Flight
I have divested from Canadian juniors for some time now. If truth be known, it is a process as we all know. Some countries believe if you are not a World medalists by 16, you're done. Others wait patiently for promising juniors to mature and grow as individuals and skaters. I am in the latter camp, as Osmond, Chan, Messing, V&M, D&R, W/P, G/P, MT/M have proven, that some who are older than 20, are still in their prime and worth the wait!

Except in ice dance and pairs your prime is usually in your mid to late twenties. So technically D/R, W/P and V/M aren't late bloomers. infact when V/M won olympic gold they were and still are the youngest to do so in ice dance and actually one of the youngest ice dance teams to win world gold.

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Except in ice dance and pairs your prime is usually in your mid to late twenties.
In that sense, Canadian ice dance has been in a rather atypical situation the last decade, in that in the mid-2000s a crop of teenagers seized the nationals podium and have basically been holding onto it ever since -- and probably will continue to do so for a few years more. In 2007 you had Marie-France and Patrice atop the podium for the last time, but with Scott/Tessa and Kaitlyn/Andrew behind them, just out of juniors. The following year Paul and Vanessa went senior domestically, and they joined the podium the following year. Since 2008 the nationals podium has fairly consistently featured Scott and Tessa, Kaitlyn and Andrew, and Paul and Vanessa/Piper. Scott and Tessa went away for two seasons (and missed another nationals due to injury), and are now gone for good. The remaining teams of that wave of ice dancers seem like they'll be with us a few more years, and in Piper and Paul's case I expect them to try to go one more quad.

Really, for all of the junior ice dance teams right now, this is a great time to be coming up (particularly those with a few years yet in juniors), because after Beijing the only notable current senior team that I expect will still be around is Carolane and Shane.

Bluediamonds09

Medalist
I’m willing to give gabby’s Sampson and Delilah program a chance. The music and theme suits her, it was just the costume was bad, the jumps weren’t there, the beginning music isn’t “her”, and it wasn’t even the beginning of the season.

Ziotic

Medalist
Nam got the host pick for SC.

I think it was the right choice. But rough since he’s got b2b assignments along with Alaina.

TGee

Record Breaker
Nam got the host pick for SC.

I think it was the right choice. But rough since he’s got b2b assignments along with Alaina.
Skate America hasn't been a great GP historically for either Nam or Alaine.

But I'm still glad to see that they both have the opportunity to do two events.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I guess you have to try to be positive. At least Nam and Alaine got two GP's andthey finish early so they can have lots of uniterrupted training time until Nationals or do a B event.

BillNeal

You Know I'm a FS Fan...
Record Breaker
^ After seeing Nam at GTSA, if he keeps improving upon his skates, like how he did in just a few weeks in the free, there’s potential that he can make GPF in Vancouver.

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
^ After seeing Nam at GTSA, if he keeps improving upon his skates, like how he did in just a few weeks in the free, there’s potential that he can make GPF in Vancouver.
I think Nam's realistic best results are bronze in SA (behind Chen and Zhou) and silver at SCI (behind Uno).

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
In that sense, Canadian ice dance has been in a rather atypical situation the last decade, in that in the mid-2000s a crop of teenagers seized the nationals podium and have basically been holding onto it ever since -- and probably will continue to do so for a few years more. In 2007 you had Marie-France and Patrice atop the podium for the last time, but with Scott/Tessa and Kaitlyn/Andrew behind them, just out of juniors. The following year Paul and Vanessa went senior domestically, and they joined the podium the following year. Since 2008 the nationals podium has fairly consistently featured Scott and Tessa, Kaitlyn and Andrew, and Paul and Vanessa/Piper. Scott and Tessa went away for two seasons (and missed another nationals due to injury), and are now gone for good. The remaining teams of that wave of ice dancers seem like they'll be with us a few more years, and in Piper and Paul's case I expect them to try to go one more quad.

Really, for all of the junior ice dance teams right now, this is a great time to be coming up (particularly those with a few years yet in juniors), because after Beijing the only notable current senior team that I expect will still be around is Carolane and Shane.

I expect the Canes will also be there.... they could have kept skating for Danemark if they had no intention to be around for 2022

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I’m willing to give gabby’s Sampson and Delilah program a chance. The music and theme suits her, it was just the costume was bad, the jumps weren’t there, the beginning music isn’t “her”, and it wasn’t even the beginning of the season.

the costume is a place holder from her line of dresses...

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I guess you have to try to be positive. At least Nam and Alaine got two GP's andthey finish early so they can have lots of uniterrupted training time until Nationals or do a B event.

thank you for looking at your glass and seeing it half full... very appreciated. :yahoo:

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I expect the Canes will also be there.... they could have kept skating for Danemark if they had no intention to be around for 2022
I said after Beijing.

I expect that, as you say, Fournier Beaudry and Sorensen's whole reason for switching over is to go to the Olympics. I think it's unlikely that they go beyond that, just going by their ages.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I said after Beijing.

I expect that, as you say, Fournier Beaudry and Sorensen's whole reason for switching over is to go to the Olympics. I think it's unlikely that they go beyond that, just going by their ages.
gosh i keep misreading your posts... LOL.. sorry... of course... but after beijing is so far away that our top team could be those who are 15 years old now ;)