2018-19 Canadian figure skating | Page 65 | Golden Skate

2018-19 Canadian figure skating

Ziotic

Medalist
What do people think of Soucisse/Firus prospects for this season/quad? I think they are a great pair, loved them since last season.

Who are Canada's top 3 ice dance pairs this season?

Their men/women/pairs program isn't looking as strong this season.

I would say the men are looking fine. 2 golds and a bronze at challengers seems rather promising.

As for dance. They are 3/4. It will be them against the Cana/Danes for the last spot at 4CC and worlds I would think.

Lester

Piper and Paul are made of magic dust and unicorns
Final Flight
What do people think of Soucisse/Firus prospects for this season/quad? I think they are a great pair, loved them since last season.

Who are Canada's top 3 ice dance pairs this season?

Their men/women/pairs program isn't looking as strong this season.

I think they'll have to fight it out with the former Danes at Nationals this season and more importantly next season. G/P and W/P are pretty much a lock for 1st and 2nd in any order.

TGee

Record Breaker
I think they'll have to fight it out with the former Danes at Nationals this season and more importantly next season. G/P and W/P are pretty much a lock for 1st and 2nd in any order.
In my view, seniors in dance will be very competitive this quadrennial.

Lajoie/Lagha are impatient to move up to seniors internationally. They are well placed to medal in the JGP Final, and are conscious of the need to build toward a more senior style and expression.

So, they will be in the mix at Nationals, and pressing to move up next season.

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
I think Fournier-Beaudry & Sorenson have the advantage on S&F in speed, maturity, and competitive experience--as well as international exposure. (Twizzles, however, more in question; and the footwork levels are not always there. Usually takes F-B&S a while to get them after they debut. This season, though, they are keeping an old FD so that should help with the fact that they aren't getting a regular ISU season). I think this team has the higher international threshold at the moment. Could fight for the top ten. Not sure if the national judges will feel the same as I do; but F-B&S could convince them with strong performances.

I think Soucisse & Firus have a lot of learning to do, but they gelled quite quickly and they are trying different things and demonstrating a good learning curve. Their footwork levels were often level 3 last season and are not looking that way right now. I also think they benefited last season from being ranked so high at home, despite having little experience; but when there is a vacumn, someone is likely to fill it. Which is what happened. So I see this as a learning season for S&F; but that should make them stronger in the long run. They aren't out of the running, though, as F-B&S do travel quite the gamut when it comes to the quality of different performances.

Lajoie & Lagha. It's always very difficult to know how a young team will transition to seniors. I think it is good that they have stayed in juniors this year. Pretty clear that there is no sudden gap--as it appeared their might be a year ago--on the senior team. Staying in juniors is allowing L&L to learn how to compete under the pressure of expectations, gain stronger JGP and international credentials, and make a run at spots on the podiums. Think just like for the other two teams that the footwork sequences are the main question mark. Sometimes 3s but also 2s and at the junior level (the senior callers tend to be tougher). I've never seen L&L live. I would suspect that they probably still have some growing to do in order to match the speed of at least F-B&S. But they are reaching the point where their time together as a team is helping their performance level. Gaining good experience.

siberia82

Addicted to Canadian men's singles skating
Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I've just noticed that Nic's height is listed as 186 cm, 1 cm more than last year: http://www.isuresults.com/bios/isufs00054342.htm

I thought he had already stopped growing. Considering how tall and large he is, could this be (at least partially) the reason why he only includes one 4T in each program? (Not to mention his success rate with that jump hasn't been good this season.) Perhaps his build is making it really difficult for him to land clean quads in competition? He has the lowest base value among the top senior-level Canadian men.

TGee

Record Breaker
I've just noticed that Nic's height is listed as 186 cm, 1 cm more than last year: http://www.isuresults.com/bios/isufs00054342.htm

I thought he had already stopped growing. Considering how tall and large he is, could this be (at least partially) the reason why he only includes one 4T in each program? (Not to mention his success rate with that jump hasn't been good this season.) Perhaps his build is making it really difficult for him to land clean quads in competition? He has the lowest base value among the top senior-level Canadian men.
Guys can keep growing bit by bit into their early 20s.

I think Nic's broader in the shoulders too.

It's harder to keep on axis as they get taller it seems. Think of Andrew Poje's challenges with twizzles.

But he may get it all together in time.

Look at how well Nam and Roman have improved.

mrrice

Record Breaker
Canadians.....How is Gabby feeling? She pulled out of her next event. Is it serious?

Haleth

On the Ice
Canadians.....How is Gabby feeling? She pulled out of her next event. Is it serious?

AFAIK there has been no official cause given for WD from JO and SCI. She was diagnosed with IBS this summer, which could be a bear to handle as there are so many potential food triggers, plus stress. So that might be a or the main cause. Or she might be injured. She has gone silent from social media recently, though I didn't notice since so many skaters are posting less because they are busy. The only bit of hope is that, unlike Dabin, she didn't pull out of both GPs.

I wish her health and happiness whatever is happening and hope she comes roaring back like she did at Nats last year.

Ziotic

Medalist
I’m so torn with the state of Canadian men at the moment. So much talent and unfortunately some of them will never make it to the World/Olympic stage.

Right now there is Keegan, Nam, Nic, Roman, Jo and Conrad all aiming for those world births. Then you add Iliya and Stephen who will likely move to seniors before 2022.

I love things about all of them and I truly don’t know who would take the crown if everyone went clean.

TGee

Record Breaker
I’m so torn with the state of Canadian men at the moment. So much talent and unfortunately some of them will never make it to the World/Olympic stage.

Right now there is Keegan, Nam, Nic, Roman, Jo and Conrad all aiming for those world births. Then you add Iliya and Stephen who will likely move to seniors before 2022.

I love things about all of them and I truly don’t know who would take the crown if everyone went clean.
I feel much the same way. It's exciting to see them all developing so much.

Perhaps we will see them shine on the Grand Prix series and dominate some GP Final down the road.

Ziotic

Medalist
hey don't forget my boy Bennet ;)

I debated on adding him. Unfortunately I think that if everyone went clean he would be at the bottom. He has some UR issues that are more prevelant than the others IMO. I think he would need help from the others to make a worlds team.

I just hope whoever gets sent this year can work to getting Canada 3 spots for more opportunities in the future.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I debated on adding him. Unfortunately I think that if everyone went clean he would be at the bottom. He has some UR issues that are more prevelant than the others IMO. I think he would need help from the others to make a worlds team.

I just hope whoever gets sent this year can work to getting Canada 3 spots for more opportunities in the future.

i guess that's why you didn't include kevin as well...

i understand... i think Bennet has improved drastically though and landed his first ever fully rotated quad this fall..

If everyone skated clean, it would depend on who has the biggest base value + pcs combo... at this point, only Gogo has landed 3 different quads in his LP ;)

joking aside : I am interested to see what they will do with Conrad as he is getting his content steadier, though landings are rough... Jo's LP was toned down both in choreo and by removing a quad toe.... is Keegan still hoping to land his quad lutz? Nam seems to have a very strong 4s now and his 4t seems to be coming back. Roman has big jumps...

Nic has the lowest base value in the SP with one quad and a 3loop-3t combo but his jumps are gorgeous when landed.

The amount of talent in men in Canada WOW!!! It would probably deserve its own thread ;)

siberia82

Addicted to Canadian men's singles skating
Record Breaker
Country
Canada
If everyone skated clean, it would depend on who has the biggest base value + pcs combo... at this point, only Gogo has landed 3 different quads in his LP ;)

Stephen definitely has the TES advantage. Keegan has the highest PCS, followed by Nic and then Roman.

Nic has the lowest base value in the SP with one quad and a 3loop-3t combo but his jumps are gorgeous when landed.

Among the Canadian men who are competing as a senior internationally, he also has lowest base value in the LP. Even Bennet, who is not on most fans' radar, is more ambitious when it comes to the technical side.

The amount of talent in men in Canada WOW!!! It would probably deserve its own thread ;)

I don't mind if we stick to this one, but it's odd to me that our guys don't have their own thread (although I suppose the fact that none of them are Worlds medallists means that a lot of non-Canadian fans regard them as being not important enough for a separate discussion).