2018-19 Canadian figure skating | Page 66 | Golden Skate

2018-19 Canadian figure skating

TGee

Record Breaker
Stephen definitely has the TES advantage. Keegan has the highest PCS, followed by Nic and then Roman.

Among the Canadian men who are competing as a senior internationally, he also has lowest base value in the LP. Even Bennet, who is not on most fans' radar, is more ambitious when it comes to the technical side.

I don't mind if we stick to this one, but it's odd to me that our guys don't have their own thread (although I suppose the fact that none of them are Worlds medallists means that a lot of non-Canadian fans regard them as being not important enough for a separate discussion).
Let's just let them fly under the radar a bit longer.

Our guys are coming. I have no doubt that podiums will be reached this quadrennial.

The question is who and when.

siberia82

Addicted to Canadian men's singles skating
Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Since there are only two spots for our guys at Junior Worlds, how will Skate Canada choose among its four candidates? Stephen, Joseph and Conrad compete as a senior nationally, while Iliya's goal is to be crowned the Canadian junior champion. Since it's not really fair to compare junior-level scores with senior-level ones, will SC give priority to whoever is top 2 at Nationals among the aforementioned trio, or pick 1 from that group and select the national junior champion? :scratch2:

Ziotic

Medalist
I think it’s gonna be rough no matter what.

If Stephen skates well at Nationals I’m sure one spot is his as he’s not eligible for senoir competition.

I could see them potentially sending Jo or Conrad to 4CC and/or senoir worlds if they place well at nationals.

If for example; ( typing this breaks my heart since I really want Roman at 4CC)
1. Keegan
2. Stephen
3. Nam
4. Conrad
5. Joseph

They send Keegan/Nam/Conrad to 4CC and Stephen/ Jo to JWC.

I think that unfortunately for Iliya if he wants a chance at JWC he will have to compete Senoir.

If I’m not mistaken (and although different skill levels are in play) Matt Markel won the junior title last year and didn’t get the JWC berth.

TGee

Record Breaker
From my perspective, the most important consideration for assigning men to Junior and Senior Worlds in 2019 is :

How can Canada move up to 3 berths for each for next season?

2 slots with that deep a field is just not on. So, 'Which two skaters are most likely to finish top 12 or better at each level?' has to be the key question.

Canada also needs more JGP slots for men. Performance at Junior Worlds determines that.

(Conrad and Jo are moving up, but Stephen, Iliya and Alec Guinzbourg will both be gunning for JGP final slots next year, and there are others...)

Ziotic

Medalist
From my perspective, the most important consideration for assigning men to Junior and Senior Worlds in 2019 is :

2 slots with that deep a field is just not on. So, 'Which two skaters are most likely to finish top 12 or better at each level?' has to be the key question.

Canada also needs more JGP slots for men. Performance at Junior Worlds determines that.

(Conrad and Jo are moving up, but Stephen, Iliya and Alec Guinzbourg will both be gunning for JGP final slots next year, and there are others...)

Although we are in a fresh season, I have a hard time having faith that Canada can get 3 men’s slots, they would likely need a 5/8 or 6/7 finish as I don’t think Keegan is likely to move past Yuzuru, Shoma, Nathan, or Kolyada. There here is a whole group in the middle pack; Cha, Zhou, Aliev, Brown, Voronov.

I’m not saying it’s impossible, just that it will absolutely be difficult.

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I think Skate Canada sends Stephen to Junior Worlds regardless of how he does at Nationals, just because his potential upside is so high (and he's the only one to have won a JGP event) and they've been very open that they regard him as a vital long-term prospect so they'll want the experience for him.

In terms of who gets the other berth, the calculations there are kind of interesting, in that Conrad is the only one of the top four junior guys who didn't win a JGP medal, but he has the second-highest points total and arguably was the most consistent across the four programs he did, in that three of the four were basically clean (Iliya can also claim that, but his base value is lower). He only missed a medal because Slovenia was such a great competition across the board (the sixth-place finisher, Mark Gorodnitsky, had a score that would have won gold in Kaunas and been 0.64 away from gold in Yerevan).

Joseph is on paper the more rounded skater, and certainly has the more impressive prior result at Junior Worlds. He himself acknowledged having a rough early transition in his coaching arrangements, so I'm sure they'll be watching his Nationals performance intently to see if the improvement continues.

TGee

Record Breaker
My preference would be for all of the top 4 Juniors to have another European ISU assignment before Nationals.

Skate Canada has a history of sending junior men to CS Golden Spin, but it's not a great choice to lose the opportunity to face off at SC Challenge ( Nov 28 to Dec 2nd this year due to SC hosting the GP final).

Were it my decision, I'd send them to CS Inge Solar and Talinn give them byes through sectionals. (Entries for Inge Solar closed last Friday.)

Conrad and Jo need to skate as seniors at an ISU to secure their minimum TES for the future.

Iliya and Stephen need more ISU junior experience before Junior Worlds.

And we know that other countries will send their junior men who missed the JGP final to these.

Ziotic

Medalist
My preference would be for all of the top 4 Juniors to have another European ISU assignment before Nationals.

Skate Canada has a history of sending junior men to CS Golden Spin, but it's not a great choice lose the opportunity to face off in December at SC Challenge.

Were it my decision, I'd send them to CS Inge Solar and Talinn give them byes through sectionals. (Entries for Inge Solar closed last Friday.)

Conrad and Jo need to skate as seniors at an ISU to secure their minimum TES for the future.

Iliya and Stephen need more ISU junior experience before Junior Worlds.

And we know that other countries will send their junior men who missed the JGP final to these.

I completely forgot that SC was foolish last year and didn’t send Jo or Conrad to get their minimums...now I’m even more frustrated as they are 100% viable options for 4CC this year.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique

Canada had the maximum spots this year... 2 per boys per event. We cannot get more.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
A country can get 3 spots per discipline if hosting an event, as Canada did this year.

Russia was able to send 3 Pairs to every event that had Pairs while not acting as a host. I believe China and the US were able to send 3 Pairs also, as they were the top 3 countries in Pairs at Worlds. But China is sending hardly any skaters out this year, and the US had few JGP age-eligible pairs, so only Russia could actually send 3. This is a special consideration for Pairs only, since there are just 4 Pairs events.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
A country can get 3 spots per discipline if hosting an event, as Canada did this year.

Russia was able to send 3 Pairs to every event that had Pairs while not acting as a host. I believe China and the US were able to send 3 Pairs also, as they were the top 3 countries in Pairs at Worlds. But China is sending hardly any skaters out this year, and the US had few JGP age-eligible pairs, so only Russia could actually send 3. This is a special consideration for Pairs only, since there are just 4 Pairs events.

yes.. but we are talking about men here... Canada had the maximum, 2 boys per event + 3 for hosting.. Pairs is completely different.

TGee

Record Breaker
Canada had the maximum spots this year... 2 per boys per event. We cannot get more.
Right...I forgot that a 3rd spot isn't available except to hosts.

But all the more reason to take advantage of the Junior events held with the Challenger series.

And a 3rd spot at Junior Worlds is critical.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Right...I forgot that a 3rd spot isn't available except to hosts.

But all the more reason to take advantage of the Junior events held with the Challenger series.

And a 3rd spot at Junior Worlds is critical.

yes... and they should have replaced Eric Liu....