2018-19 Canadian figure skating | Page 67 | Golden Skate

2018-19 Canadian figure skating

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I am talking about SLovenia... Conrad was the only Canadian going there... i think it was Eric Liu who had the spot but w/d before the event. Skate Canada didn't send a sub.

- - - Updated - - -

in any case, Skate Canada should have used that spot.

siberia82

Addicted to Canadian men's singles skating
Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I think that unfortunately for Iliya if he wants a chance at JWC he will have to compete Senoir.

Yeah, I see that Iliya is at a disadvantage amongst the four because he doesn't have a quad, and hence his scoring potential is the lowest. Well, that's okay; it's already a huge step forward for him to win a JGP medal :hap10: , and if he does become the new Canadian junior champion in January (please let it be so, figure skating gods! :pray: ), then that would be a fantastic end to his season---he actually doesn't have a novice or junior-level Nationals medal.

And honestly, I'm just thrilled that there are now others besides me and TGee who wish to discuss Iliya's career! :biggrin:

If I’m not mistaken (and although different skill levels are in play) Matt Markel won the junior title last year and didn’t get the JWC berth.

In Markell's case, he was never sent to a JGP event in the past (and he'll never get the chance to participate in the JGP series :sad21: ), plus his tech content is low for his age (he was 17 at the 2018 Nationals with no 3A, no quad, and his sole triple-triple combo was a 3T-3T), so it's understandable that SC ignored him for Junior Worlds.

bennorii

On the Ice
All the more power to Iliya if he is able to get a medal at a JGP and a 200+ without a quad. With that amazing 3A we saw earlier this week, I believe that his scoring potential will move a lot higher when he does get a quad. Excited to follow his skating journey for the next quad.

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Amelia Orzel and Catherine Carle are on the entry list for Golden Bear in juniors. It's happening October 24-28th.

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Amelia Orzel and Catherine Carle are on the entry list for Golden Bear in juniors. It's happening October 24-28th.
Always nice to see girls getting out internationally (and Amelia’s gotta get a move on if she wants to go to Beijing with her brother ;)).

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Speaking of international assignments, the Inge Solar Memorial assignments are out.

Only two Canadian entries: Roman, in the absence of a second Grand Prix assignment, and Aurora, going for those TES minimums.

Actually, looking at the men’s field, Roman would stand a pretty solid chance of winning that event.

I admit I’m a bit surprised to see Aurora going out this early, since she seemed to be in a rocky place jump-wise in Slovenia, but Ravi presumably thinks it’s workable and he knows more than I do.

I hope they send Alison out to one of the later ones.

siberia82

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Actually, looking at the men’s field, Roman would stand a pretty solid chance of winning that event.

Roman + international gold medal = :love:

ETA: Although it begs the question as to why SC is only sending Roman and Aurora to the Inge Solar Memorial. Surely there are other skaters who would also benefit from competing at a CS (like Joseph and Conrad).

siberia82

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
It turns out I was dead wrong in assuming that Iliya was aiming for a national junior title; he's listed under Senior Men in this "2019 Skate Ontario Sectional Qualifying Series" document :eek: : http://skateontario.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/10/Sectional-Qualifying-Series-Final-Results-Oct-15-2018.pdf

Wow, the men's event at the 2019 Canadian Championships is going to be an even bigger "fight to the death" than I initially thought. :eeking: As I've already mentioned before, Iliya doesn't have a novice or junior-level Nationals medal, so why would he skip on the opportunity to become a Canadian junior champion (especially when the odds are very strongly in his favour this season)?

In the Skate Ontario document, I assume that "bye" in this case refers to a bye to the Skate Canada Challenge. Gabby is the only notable senior-level athlete who doesn't have one.

Ziotic

Medalist
It turns out I was dead wrong in assuming that Iliya was aiming for a national junior title; he's listed under Senior Men in this "2019 Skate Ontario Sectional Qualifying Series" document :eek: : http://skateontario.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/10/Sectional-Qualifying-Series-Final-Results-Oct-15-2018.pdf

Wow, the men's event at the 2019 Canadian Championships is going to be an even bigger "fight to the death" than I initially thought. :eeking: As I've already mentioned before, Iliya doesn't have a novice or junior-level Nationals medal, so why would he skip on the opportunity to become a Canadian junior champion (especially when the odds are very strongly in his favour this season)?

In the Skate Ontario document, I assume that "bye" in this case refers to a bye to the Skate Canada Challenge. Gabby is the only notable senior-level athlete who doesn't have one.

He must know that beating two of the other three contenders is his only chance at JW. Smart move as who knows how the placements will go down on the day itself.

I also feel like he’s the underdog and knows he has nothing to lose by throwing his hat in the ring.

Koatterce

On the Ice
Country
Canada

I think they byes are just listed for the athletes that didn't compete in sectionals so don't have a score there

siberia82

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
He must know that beating two of the other three contenders is his only chance at JW. Smart move as who knows how the placements will go down on the day itself.

I also feel like he’s the underdog and knows he has nothing to lose by throwing his hat in the ring.

He should do what he thinks is best for his career, of course, although it's unusual that a skater of his talent doesn't have much hardware. In the competition thread for the JGP Richmond, I found it a bit awkward having to describe Iliya to someone who had never heard of him as the 2017-2018 SC Challenge junior champion. (I know that he's the 2014-2015 Canadian pre-novice silver medallist, but I figured that was too far back.)

This reminds me of another Ukrainian Canadian who didn't pursue the national junior title---in fact, he never actually competed as a junior at Nationals (the one year he would have, he had to withdraw because of a stress fracture). To this day, his sole medal at the Canadian Championships is a novice silver in 2012.

For those of you who have followed junior-level skaters longer than I have, is it normal for athletes not to care about becoming the Canadian junior champion if the person has a JGP medal?

I think they byes are just listed for the athletes that didn't compete in sectionals so don't have a score there

Oh, you may be right; Nam, Stephen and Conrad also don't have "bye" listed next to their names.

bennorii

On the Ice
He should do what he thinks is best for his career, of course, although it's unusual that a skater of his talent doesn't have much hardware. In the competition thread for the JGP Richmond, I found it a bit awkward having to describe Iliya to someone who had never heard of him as the 2017-2018 SC Challenge junior champion. (I know that he's the 2014-2015 Canadian pre-novice silver medallist, but I figured that was too far back.)

This reminds me of another Ukrainian Canadian who didn't pursue the national junior title---in fact, he never actually competed as a junior at Nationals (the one year he would have, he had to withdraw because of a stress fracture). To this day, his sole medal at the Canadian Championships is a novice silver in 2012.

For those of you who have followed junior-level skaters longer than I have, is it normal for athletes not to care about becoming the Canadian junior champion if the person has a JGP medal?

Oh, you may be right; Nam, Stephen and Conrad also don't have "bye" listed next to their names.

Took me a couple minutes, and then I realized who you were talking about. ;)

TGee

Record Breaker

I still find it strategically not ideal to move Iliya to senior nationals.

A Junior national title is a thing...

ISU notes it, Sports Canada notes it, potential private foundation funders note it.

Just because he's 15 and can go Senior internationally next year, is no reason to foreshorten his time as a Junior. Especially as he's not done growing, hasn't got his quads, and has just made an impact with his first JGP medal.

If there is any flex in the system, he should be going through as a Junior.

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I still find it strategically not ideal to move Iliya to senior nationals.

A Junior national title is a thing...

ISU notes it, Sports Canada notes it, potential private foundation funders note it.

Just because he's 15 and can go Senior internationally next year, is no reason to foreshorten his time as a Junior. Especially as he's not done growing, hasn't got his quads, and has just made an impact with his first JGP medal.

If there is any flex in the system, he should be going through as a Junior.
If his goal is to go to Junior Worlds, then I'd say it is a strategic necessity. To have a chance he needs to be seen to beat his rivals.

TGee

Record Breaker
If his goal is to go to Junior Worlds, then I'd say it is a strategic necessity. To have a chance he needs to be seen to beat his rivals.
But perhaps Skate Canada should not be creating a situation wherein our Junior Champion doesn't go to Worlds.

This doesn't work with the funding criteria from Sport Canada.

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
But perhaps Skate Canada should not be creating a situation wherein our Junior Champion doesn't go to Worlds.
International juniors going senior domestically first is hardly new or unusual (here or elsewhere), and thus the junior domestic competition isn’t where the top talent is, for the most part.

TGee

Record Breaker
International juniors going senior domestically first is hardly new or unusual (here or elsewhere), and thus the junior domestic competition isn’t where the top talent is, for the most part.
Agreed.

Nam and Roman both got the big crowd senior experience at senior nationals at 14.

But Sport Canada's funding structure isn't built on figure skating.

Skate Canada has a fair bit of latitude because skating is an early specialization sport, but this progression is to some degree a legacy of the pre-NextGen funding incentives.

As Iliya has no chance of making the top 5 and the National senior team, and his NextGen funding is based on his TSS and elements.

So, I question whether it's time to change the system.