2018-19 Canadian figure skating | Page 70 | Golden Skate

2018-19 Canadian figure skating

BillNeal

You Know I'm a FS Fan...
Record Breaker
After Skate Canada and drumroll...THREE (3) medals! Things are looking good for Canada. A wealth of talent in ladies. Pairs is looking decent, even with retirements and splits, as MTM and W/M both made it into the top five, MTM only 0.16 point shy of the silver medal. Dance is great as Canada has a deep field. Even with W/P on TTYCT (no doubt coming back to slay at Nationals), G/P have made a statement with their FD score, which is on par with the reigning World Silver Medalists. Men, well, Keegan has exceeded expectations, winning a silver at his debut GP, at the age of 26. Nam has stepped up from his SA outing, rounding out the Top 5 with commendable performances. Two men in the top 5, where are those doubters now? In ladies, Canada has three spots for Worlds and many quality ladies to challenge for them come Nationals. Alaine seems to have gotten her groove back and Alicia had a strong debut. And with this event, numerous Canadians are now in the hunt for those GPF Vancouver spots. Cheers to the new season, onwards and upwards!

Tulipstar

Medalist
Just popping in to say that the Canadian audience was absolutely amazing at Skate Canada :bow:
I'm glad Canada won a few medals, but even if they hadn't, the audience seem to enjoy cheering for everyone else so much that they would have had a good time anyway.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Just popping in to say that the Canadian audience was absolutely amazing at Skate Canada :bow:
I'm glad Canada won a few medals, but even if they hadn't, the audience seem to enjoy cheering for everyone else so much that they would have had a good time anyway.

i was there... and standing ovations were given based on merit... for instance the biggest was for mako and zhenya in LPs while Tukt got hers in SP..

Piper and Paul have the most exquisite free dance... i wouldn't count them out just yet.

MTM should have been 2nd here... i am wondering if they should change their combo... it's hard to synch with the euler.

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I heard a section of the crowd booed Shoma in the SP though
I was there, I don't recall anything like that.

As far as the results from SCI, on the whole very positive, I think. Only Roman had a straight-up bad outing.

After the Autumn Classic I was really concerned about KMT and Marinaro, even though I knew that Kirsten's injury had taken them out of training for a while. But they've shown steady and rapid improvement across their three competitions so far. And after Skate America I really feared the worst for Walsh and Michaud, but they were so, so much better here.

Piper and Paul crushed my heart on Friday, but then made it glow on Saturday.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Well, it was tweeted by someone who was there. Maybe you weren't nearby.

or maybe that person is exaggerating/hating on or not making difference between a gasp in the audience when shoma hit the board and a boo. There were a lot of OhHHHH! when he fell into the boards and then, people cheering and clapping when he got back up.

Of course, I cannot say that I saw and heard everything but that tweet was not confirmed by anyone I know who was in the audience... = fake news.

Some people are always trying to make themselves interesting...

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I was there, I don't recall anything like that.

As far as the results from SCI, on the whole very positive, I think. Only Roman had a straight-up bad outing.

After the Autumn Classic I was really concerned about KMT and Marinaro, even though I knew that Kirsten's injury had taken them out of training for a while. But they've shown steady and rapid improvement across their three competitions so far. And after Skate America I really feared the worst for Walsh and Michaud, but they were so, so much better here.

Piper and Paul crushed my heart on Friday, but then made it glow on Saturday.

Really happy and proud of Keegan. Wonderful skates and fortitude. I think Gilles and Piper would have won the freedance if they had skated later. Mtm and M's bronzemay not be enough to get them into the GPF though. Thejudges obviouslyloveandconsider the French a worldtitlethreat. The Canadians will have to try to get silver in their next outing andhopingnottoo many of the Russians teams do too well. We know James and Cipres are a shoo in; T and M, the battle now is MtM and M verus 2 Russian pairs, Italy, 2 Chinese maybe, and maybe the Koreans? One of the Americans is always a possibility toobut they have not looked great. Yay for the Canadian ladies not getting last. Alaine Chartrand is gettingmoresolid but hardly looked like the top ten skater she once was or national champion though I guess she is no.1 right now of those skating which is very scarey. Three Canadian ladies go to worlds and if Gabby doesn't get well andwith Osmond out they have three skaters who might not qualify for the freeskate. Oh I have to say Nam looks stabilized Yay! Keegan here's hoping could be the surprise. If he continues to skate consistently and solidify his quads he could be a top six skater. He has skated pretty consistently at olympics worlds and Skate Canada. I do wonder how he will top Chaplin - maybe Casablanca, James Bond, Mr. Bean?, Super hero

TGee

Record Breaker
Keegan here's hoping could be the surprise. If he continues to skate consistently and solidify his quads he could be a top six skater. He has skated pretty consistently at olympics worlds and Skate Canada. I do wonder how he will top Chaplin - maybe Casablanca, James Bond, Mr. Bean?, Super hero

Good to hear an upbeat assessment from you Skater Boy...it sounded as though your 'glass half fully' view got the best of you a few days ago.

I agree that we should expect to see Keegan in the final flight at 4CC and World's. His SP is consistently scoring in the mid 90s even with tough panels.

Top six at Worlds will depend on his getting more high BV quads in the FS...let's hope he gets that 4Lz stable in competition.

I love your brainstorming for next season...even if it's our usual off-season activity.

I'll throw Mission Impossible and Risky Business into the mix. I think Keegan could take on Tom Cruise :)

And for Nam (who has great programs this season), I would love to see more Fred Astaire. His long, leggy non-chalant style really evokes Astaire for me.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Good to hear an upbeat assessment from you Skater Boy...it sounded as though your 'glass half fully' view got the best of you a few days ago.

I agree that we should expect to see Keegan in the final flight at 4CC and World's. His SP is consistently scoring in the mid 90s even with tough panels.

Top six at Worlds will depend on his getting more high BV quads in the FS...let's hope he gets that 4Lz stable in competition.

I love your brainstorming for next season...even if it's our usual off-season activity.

I'll throw Mission Impossible and Risky Business into the mix. I think Keegan could take on Tom Cruise :)

And for Nam (who has great programs this season), I would love to see more Fred Astaire. His long, leggy non-chalant style really evokes Astaire for me.

I really wish the Canadian men well; they so deserve an oly gold; they are the Susan Lucci' of figure skating. I am not sure what happened but I would love to see Nam to go back to Brian and hang with his brothers - Javier, Hanyu et al. Maybe spend a month with Patrick Chan stroking and getting super strong skating and edges. Really the quad toe and sal should be stable .

mrrice

Record Breaker
I think Keegan IS kind of dorky. Though, I think "Quirky" is a better word. Scott Hamilton was very dorky in his day and that's why he was so good in shows. I think Kurt was kind of dorky too. They were both World Champions so, Keegan is in good company.

jersey1302

On the Ice
Country
Canada
i was there... and standing ovations were given based on merit... for instance the biggest was for mako and zhenya in LPs while Tukt got hers in SP..

Piper and Paul have the most exquisite free dance... i wouldn't count them out just yet.

MTM should have been 2nd here... i am wondering if they should change their combo... it's hard to synch with the euler.

I think they need to keep as much difficulty as possible because they dont have the PCS scores of lets say the german or french teams etc. 11 Points seperated them and James/Cipres. The jump sequence was just off time from the beginning which is why you cant get it back mid jump. They'll have it on time this season.

jersey1302

On the Ice
Country
Canada
So here is my run down of Canadian skating this year.

Pairs:
Obviously with Meghan and Eric retiring from competitive skating, Dube/Davison and Dylan and Lubov not skating anymore the pairs title will be going to Kirsten and Michael barring some major injury or disastrous skates. Do they have a chance for a world medal? Never say never but .. Id be surprised if they did it. If they find a way to boost up their PCS scores another 5-10 points, they'll be right in there.

Women:
This year will be Gabby's year to get her title again since we know Kaitlyn is not skating this season, assuming she comes back and skates at nationals. Alaine isn't a lock for second place. Alicia Pinneault looks strong. Shes very new to the GP circuit but she looks like a fighter and she looks technically solid at times. Larkyn Austman is battling injury aswell so we'll see what she has to offer later on.

Men:
This is a very interesting category. This year I think its a bit short on talent to come up and medal at worlds however looking at 2022, I think the Canadian men could possibly inline to make some big statements again. This year I feel the title is going to Keegan or Nam ( my pick is Keegan). Third place is really up in the air. Honestly there's like 5 or 6 men who could take the bronze at nationals in January. Dont count out Kevin Reynolds but IMO he aint going to be on that podium. He needs a new coach whos going to teach him how to jump and skate properly. Roman Sadovsky has some nice quads up his sleeve, hes super young. Also still in the Canadian ranks who many arn't familiar with yet is Stephen Gogolev. The kid is only 13 years old and hes already had a total score of 226 infront of ISU judges this year at the JR gp in Slovakia. I'm so pumped to see him.. come 2022 the kid will only be 16. Insane. Joseph Phan is coming up, he is 17 and has some nice skating. We'll see what he does this year. Then of coarse we have Nic Nadeau who is always super fun to watch, his problem is inconsistency. There is a few other skaters but I am not 100% familiar with them

Ice Dance-
What an insane battle it will be this year between Weaver/Poje and Gilles/Poirier. We have yet to see Kaitlyn and Andrew's skates because they are with the Thank You Canada Tour right now but man.. look our to G/P their FD is off the charts good this year.
I also really like Soucisse and Firus aswell. I LOVED their FD. It was so sexy and original and un traditional. The look really suited them. Canada may just have 2 Ice dance teams that could fight for a medal this year at worlds with Hubbell/ Donohue and the P/C.

Koatterce

On the Ice
Country
Canada
Since we've gotten to see most of our skaters skate after SCI, here are some thoughts as to how this season and nats could shape up (seniors). Apologies for the super long post.

Ladies:
Major contenders for worlds/4CC assignments: Alaine Chartrand, Alicia Pineault, Gabrielle Daleman, Larkyn Austman, Michelle Long, Veronik Mallet
Other competitors (seniors): Emy Decelles, Kim Decelles, Kim DeGuise-Leveille
Other competitors (juniors internationally): Alison Schumacher, Aurora Cotop, Olivia Gran, Sarah Tamura, Sarah-Maude Blanchard, Victoria Bocknek

Current SB ranking (seniors only)Last year SB ranking (seniors only)
43 Alaine Chartrand (172.17)
45 Veronik Mallet (170.68)
48 Gabrielle Daleman (169.15)
60 Alicia Pineault (159.70)
20 Gabrielle Daleman (196.83)
54 Alaine Chartrand (172.41)
88 Alicia Pineault (152.61)
102 Michelle Long (147.50)
125 Larkyn Austman (136.82)

Alaine, Gabby, Veronik, and Alicia already have their TES mins for worlds. Larkyn and Michelle have enough for 4CC but not for worlds.

The national title is Gabby's to lose, she should win it if she's mostly clean. Alaine should be on the podium if she goes mostly clean, as she seems to be regaining form and is doing a lot better recently. Veronik had good results at Finlandia and if healthy, will likely be on the podium as well. Alicia has been solid-ish, not always clean, but has potential and room to improve and place better this year than in previous years. If she skates clean (or at least mostly clean), I think she'll place 4th. Larkyn has yet to skate this year due to injury, so we'll see how she does. But based on the trajectory of Alaine, Veronik, and Alicia, plus previous results, I think Larkyn will place behind them. Michelle had a good result at 4CC last year and also had a better SB than Larkyn, so I would not be surprised if Michelle places higher at nats.
With 3 spots at worlds, I think they will go to Gabby, Alaine, and Veronik, with Alicia as the first alternate. Gabby is the only one that has a chance to podium, but I think it’s quite unlikely with many strong competitors from other countries.

Men:
Major contenders for worlds/4CC assignments: Keegan Messing, Kevin Reynolds, Nam Nguyen, Nicolas Nadeau, Roman Sadovsky
Other competitors (seniors): Bennet Toman
Other competitors (juniors internationally): Brian Le, Conrad Orzel, Eric Liu, Iliya Kovler, Joseph Phan, Matthew Markell, Stephen Gogolev

4 Keegan Messing (265.17)
10 Nam Nguyen (240.94)
14 Roman Sadovsky (233.86)
18 Nicolas Nadeau (227.76)
38 Bennet Toman (208.19)
52 Kevin Reynolds (198.83)
18 Keegan Messing (255.43)
28 Nam Nguyen (245.21)
29 Kevin Reynolds (241.50)
40 Nicolas Nadeau (229.43)
73 Roman Sadovsky (200.10)
93 Bennet Toman (188.31)

All senior men (Bennet, Keegan, Kevin, Nam, Nicolas, Roman) have their TES mins for worlds.

The title will most likely go to Keegan, who is doing very well this season and is consistent as well. Silver will likely be Nam’s, assuming he goes mostly clean. He’s getting back to form which is great to see. 3rd will likely go to Roman or Nicolas if either skate clean, but Stephen could get it if he goes clean (might need Roman/Nicolas to make small errors though). Roman did great at ACI (though not as well at SCI), so cleanliness is key for him. Stephen has a high BV, but will have lower PCS. He has plenty of time to keep improving though. Next few spots are a toss up, could be Conrad, Joseph, Bennet, Iliya, or Kevin. Kevin has been doing quite poorly this season, especially in the FS, so I wouldn’t be surprised to see him place a lot lower at nats than usual, especially with the up and coming juniors competing in seniors.
With 2 spots for worlds, they most likely will go to Keegan and Nam, with Roman as the first alternate. Keegan will be competitive for a world medal, but he will have to be clean and may need others to make errors (if only small ones).

Pairs:
Major contenders for worlds/4CC assignments: Camille Ruest / Andrew Wolfe, Evelyn Walsh / Trennt Michaud, Kirsten Moore-Towers / Michael Marinaro
Other competitors (seniors): Lori-Ann Matte / Thierry Ferland, Mariah McCaw / Steven Adcock, Justine Brasseur / Mark Bardei

4 Kirsten Moore-Towers / Michael Marinaro (200.93)
19 Evelyn Walsh / Trennt Michaud (172.53)
24 Camille Ruest / Andrew Wolfe (162.16)
50 Lori-Ann Matte / Thierry Ferland (121.44)
11 Kirsten Moore-Towers / Michael Marinaro (204.33)
33 Camille Ruest / Andrew Wolfe (169.11)
42 Evelyn Walsh / Trennt Michaud (158.96)
57 Lori-Ann Matte / Thierry Ferland (142.51)

Camille / Drew, Evelyn / Trennt, and Kirsten / Michael all have their TES minimums.

Pairs podium is super predictable, barring some disaster. MT/M first, then W/M, then R/W, just like the results from SCI. All three pairs have improved from last year which is great to see.
The 2 spots for worlds will most likely go to MT/M and W/M. MT/M are definitely competitive for a world medal if they skate clean. Their PCS has room to grow so increasing that would help their chances for sure.

Dance:
Major contenders for worlds/4CC assignments: Carolane Soucisse / Shane Firus, Haley Sales / Nikolas Wamsteeker, Kaitlyn Weaver / Andrew Poje, Laurence Fournier Beaudry / Nikolaj Sorensen , Piper Gilles / Paul Poirier
Other competitors (seniors): Molly Lanaghan / Dmitre Razgulajevs

3 Kaitlyn Weaver / Andrew Poje (197.27)
5 Piper Gilles / Paul Poirier (194.12)
14 Carolane Soucisse / Shane Firus (172.27)
38 Haley Sales / Nikolas Wamsteeker (150.23)
54 Molly Lanaghan / Dmitre Razgulajevs (138.97)
5 Kaitlyn Weaver / Andrew Poje (192.35)
9 Piper Gilles / Paul Poirier (186.10)
18 Carolane Soucisse / Shane Firus (164.96)
19 Laurence Fournier Beaudry / Nikolaj Sorensen (164.90)
55 Haley Sales / Nikolas Wamsteeker (139.48)
95 Molly Lanaghan / Dmitre Razgulajevs (117.42)

Carolane / Shane, Haley / Nikolas, Kaitlyn / Andrew, Laurence / Nikolaj, and Piper / Paul all have their TES mins for worlds. Molly / Dmitre have theirs for 4CC only.

I think there’ll be a bit of a battle between W/P and G/P for gold, but barring significant errors, I think W/P will still come out on top (though by a smaller margin than in previous years). Both teams have great programs this year, especially their FD’s which are both so emotional but in different ways. S/F and FB/S will be battling it out for bronze. I don’t really know who will come out on top here, but it might be clearer once we see FB/S’s programs (which won’t be for a while). I do really like S/F’s programs as well.
With 3 spots at worlds, W/P and G/P are basically locks. The third spot will be between S/F and FB/S. W/P and G/P are both competitive for a world medal, though it is extremely unlikely that both will get it. There are many strong competitors at the top though, so it won't be easy.
Note: FB/S are eligible to compete internationally beginning from 4CC

BillNeal

You Know I'm a FS Fan...
Record Breaker
Ice Dance-
What an insane battle it will be this year between Weaver/Poje and Gilles/Poirier. We have yet to see Kaitlyn and Andrew's skates because they are with the Thank You Canada Tour right now but man.. look our to G/P their FD is off the charts good this year.
I also really like Soucisse and Firus aswell. I LOVED their FD. It was so sexy and original and un traditional. The look really suited them. Canada may just have 2 Ice dance teams that could fight for a medal this year at worlds with Hubbell/ Donohue and the P/C.

I agree that it will be an insane battle for that Canadian title and that we have 2 ice dance teams to contend for the World podium this year. In my opinion, they both have their best free dances of their careers so far, this season, both mesmerizing and so beautiful that you can find yourself welling up. Kaitlyn and Andrew have actually demonstrated their programs to the judges at ACI and they were well-received. Here are their dances from that competition :):

RD: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=soRyLw_MhjM
FD: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0SPt4B5RtcQ

Dance:
Major contenders for worlds/4CC assignments: Carolane Soucisse / Shane Firus, Haley Sales / Nikolas Wamsteeker, Kaitlyn Weaver / Andrew Poje, Laurence Fournier Beaudry / Nikolaj Sorensen , Piper Gilles / Paul Poirier
Other competitors (seniors): Molly Lanaghan / Dmitre Razgulajevs

3 Kaitlyn Weaver / Andrew Poje (197.27)
5 Piper Gilles / Paul Poirier (194.12)
14 Carolane Soucisse / Shane Firus (172.27)
38 Haley Sales / Nikolas Wamsteeker (150.23)
54 Molly Lanaghan / Dmitre Razgulajevs (138.97)
5 Kaitlyn Weaver / Andrew Poje (192.35)
9 Piper Gilles / Paul Poirier (192.35)
18 Carolane Soucisse / Shane Firus (164.96)
19 Laurence Fournier Beaudry / Nikolaj Sorensen (164.90)
55 Haley Sales / Nikolas Wamsteeker (139.48)
95 Molly Lanaghan / Dmitre Razgulajevs (117.42)

Thanks for taking the time to compile your post, Koatterce, much appreciated :clap:

I bolded Piper/Paul's SB from last season because I think it might be a typo and 186.10 is the correct number. Again, thanks for the extensive work you put into this post :).