2018-19 Canadian figure skating | Page 72 | Golden Skate

2018-19 Canadian figure skating

TGee

Record Breaker
I think if both are relatively clean Kolyada will definitely win. But I think Keegan has a great shot of getting on the podium!
I agree with the assessment.

It's interesting to speculate how the SP dynamic will play out, and what tactics Keegan and his coach will use in the final layout for the FS.

I don't see Mikhail Kolyada beating Keegan's solid 95ish SP. So, I expect that Yuzuru will be first after the SP, Keegan second and Mikhail third going into the FS.

At Skate Canada, the FS layout was much lower in BV than at SCI... no 4Lz etc.

Do they plan other quads..?

If the rest of the pack is super far back after the FS, will they have the marge de manoeuvre to risk the 4Lz to place ahead of Kolyada?

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
If the rest of the pack is super far back after the FS, will they have the marge de manoeuvre to risk the 4Lz to place ahead of Kolyada?
At SCI he made I think three runs at the 4Lz in the warmup. None of them went well, so he didn't attempt it in competition. I'm guessing he'll take the same approach at Rostelecom, make the decision going into the free.

siberia82

Addicted to Canadian men's singles skating
Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I've been extremely busy for the past several days, so now I can do some catch up on skating, but has anyone found the link to the Skate Ontario Sectionals archived livestream of the Senior Men Short Program? :scratch2: The Senior Men Free Skate is here https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x6wnw32 , but I haven't had any luck locating the SP.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
i haven't found the SP senior men from Skate ontario nor the LP fo junior men... anyone?

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
It is possible that Canada may have zero representatives at the senior Grand Prix Finals to be held in Canada this year. What devastation.

In pairs they usually have two possible contenders and MtM / M just werent able to get it together. And there isn't much more than them.

IN men, well all hope lies with Keegan who many feel does not have the skating jumps or quads to really compete. He hangs on by a thread as a contender/pretender.

In dance, another prearious thread ofhope with Giles and Porier after their devastating error at Skate Canada.

And in ladies they lost their two hopefuls Daleman and Osmond and now are left with skaters who will be lucky to make the freeskate come worlds. In fact Canada's top tree are out right now and the third has not made it to the free skate at a major international yet where you have to qualify.

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I know he's basically a troll, so I'm not going to bother responding to most of that, but:

IN men, well all hope lies with Keegan who many feel does not have the skating jumps or quads to really compete.
Who are these "many", and are they aware that he currently has the second-best short program score and fourth-highest free/total score of any man on the Grand Prix circuit?

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I know I shouldn't feed the animals but I am just giving a critical analysis not just someone in love or hate of a skater. In watching and hearing the review of Keegan from for example TSL it is apparent he needs to ensure he gets the quads and improve his skating skills. However, he does the best with what he has and if he is consistent could still be a top 8 even top six skater with all the competitors jumping all over the place.

TGee

Record Breaker
It is possible that Canada may have zero representatives at the senior Grand Prix Finals to be held in Canada this year. What devastation.

In pairs they usually have two possible contenders and MtM / M just werent able to get it together. And there isn't much more than them.

IN men, well all hope lies with Keegan who many feel does not have the skating jumps or quads to really compete. He hangs on by a thread as a contender/pretender.

In dance, another prearious thread ofhope with Giles and Porier after their devastating error at Skate Canada.

And in ladies they lost their two hopefuls Daleman and Osmond and now are left with skaters who will be lucky to make the freeskate come worlds. In fact Canada's top tree are out right now and the third has not made it to the free skate at a major international yet where you have to qualify.
Sorry to hear that you're in 'glass half fully' / seeing the negative space SkaterBoy. Have courage!

Yes, the worse case is always a possibly. But not highly likely.

Certainly, many of the Canadians drew some of the tougher GPs once all the withdrawals have changed the balance of the entries.

I do think that Keegan is in an excellent position to get a second silver at Rostelecom. 26 points is enough to gain a GPF berth, and even a bronze there with 24 points is likely sufficient.

Otherwise, let's keep in mind that this is a season of rebuilding for Canada. The long view is key.

Noxchild

Medalist
Country
Canada
Plus, in this janky season where many men are struggling or not yet there, Keegan is flourishing - won a Challenger gold and silver at SC, and very good chance of podiuming next week. He is by far the least I am worried about, Canadian-wise.

jlmart

On the Ice
Country
Canada
Not sure if it is posted somewhere else but Brasseur/Bardei are listed for Golden Spin 2018 - presumably to get their levels.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique

well lajoie and lagha and gogolev will be good representation.... keep in mind that it's not over until it's over... another dance or pair team could withdraw... there is only one sure thing : Canada will NOT have a lady this year. The rest is speculation .....

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
LAJOIE / LAGHA and GOGOLEV are in the JGPF, not SENIOR Grand Prix Finals.

The only possible contender for the GPF is GILLES / POIRIER, and only if they win silver at IDF.

There is no possibility in Pairs, even if there is a withdrawal, unless at Rostelecom, Ziegler / Kiefer with 9 points somehow beats the two teams with 13 points.

siberia82

Addicted to Canadian men's singles skating
Record Breaker
Country
Canada
The only possible contender for the GPF is GILLES / POIRIER, and only if they win silver at IDF.

So in your opinion, it's absolutely impossible for Keegan to qualify for the GPF. :rolleye:

Noxchild

Medalist
Country
Canada
Barring a complete disaster imo, Keegan is in the GPF. He has the goods. He's worked over his nerves. He's final flight material. He can do it!

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
Barring a complete disaster imo, Keegan is in the GPF. He has the goods. He's worked over his nerves. He's final flight material. He can do it!

Oh, do not say things like that. These are the men. And if Javier can miss the GPF after two world titles, then missing it is plausible.

But Keegan is in a good position and a good competitive place right now. He looks prepared and so much stronger for the experience he has gained over the past couple seasons. He is certainly in the game.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
LAJOIE / LAGHA and GOGOLEV are in the JGPF, not SENIOR Grand Prix Finals.

There is no possibility in Pairs, even if there is a withdrawal, unless at Rostelecom, Ziegler / Kiefer with 9 points somehow beats the two teams with 13 points.

my reply to skater boy is about looking at things positively.... GOGOLEV was out until he wasn't ;)

Gilles and Poirier have a shot...

Keegan certainly has a shot.

Pairs... i am not really thinking MTM will qualify... they were so close to get silver and bronze but got 3-4 ... that happens... but the point i was making is that it's not over until it's over... there could be more than ONE withdrawal.... not wishing anyone any harm.... but weirder things have happened this season.

BillNeal

You Know I'm a FS Fan...
Record Breaker