2018-19 Canadian figure skating | Page 85 | Golden Skate

2018-19 Canadian figure skating

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
As a reporting aside, since this is a bit of information/gossip that isn't relevant to the Nationals coverage I'm doing, multiple other people in the media room have heard the same thing that a lot of us have, namely, that Charlie's new partner is indeed Liubov.

kenboy123

On the Ice
URGH!!!!...we have officially dropped back to just 1 spot for the Ladies next year...we NEED Osmond back immediately...are they even going to send Daleman to the Worlds???...

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
URGH!!!!...we have officially dropped back to just 1 spot for the Ladies next year...we NEED Osmond back immediately...are they even going to send Daleman to the Worlds???...

That was a shocker but a fair result. If Skate Canada is smart, they will send Gabby to Worlds. If Gabby hadn’t received an edge call on her flip, she’d have been 2nd. But the biggest thing I noticed is that she just wasn’t into her performances as much as she usually is. Must be tough coming back and with the issues she’s faced.

One saving grace for her is that she’s only one of 3 skaters to meet the minimums for Worlds this year, so if Austman is unable to achieve those in upcoming competitions, then clearly she has to go to Worlds then.

bennorii

On the Ice

I think they have to because Aurora and Larkyn don't have the mins, and they're probably not gonna send someone who finished 6th or below. So I'm guessing it's Daleman, Chartrand, and Mallet.

fzztsimmons

On the Ice
Oh Gabby Gabby Gabby! When she cried, I cried.
I do think though that with more time to train, and get back into the swing of competition she can get back to form. It isn't like she has regressed to a Gracie Gold-level of jumps or fitness, I think it's confidence more than anything. She seemed so hesitant and just nervous. I just hope this doesn't destroy her belief too much and she keeps going.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Gabby should be in better competitive shape in two months. She had only 6 weeks on the ice before Nationals after a 3-month break with no ice time at all.

I'd hate to have to depend on Alaine for saving at least two spots, as she tends to perform her best in the first half of the season, peaking at Nationals. Alaine won 2016 Nationals with a fantastic performance, then finished 17th at Worlds 2016. And Veronik is a bit musty after being out with injury for more than a year.

kresslia

Medalist
They interviewed Slipchuk after the women's FS and he was stressing how they have all kinds of different criteria to consider in addition to Nationals results.

My read on that: Gabby goes to Worlds.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I wonder if they'll decide on Worlds after 4CC. That would be tough on Gabby, as 4CC starts in just a little more than two weeks and she clearly needs more time than that to get back her stamina. But it does give Larkyn the opportunity to get her TES minimums for Worlds.

kenboy123

On the Ice
I wonder if they'll decide on Worlds after 4CC. That would be tough on Gabby, as 4CC starts in just a little more than two weeks and she clearly needs more time than that to get back her stamina. But it does give Larkyn the opportunity to get her TES minimums for Worlds.

As much as like Austman, I really hope Daleman goes instead of Austman...it’s the only chance we have of keeping 2 spots next season...Chantrand is not going to place top 10 at worlds and Mallet is only there for the experience...

rachno2

Record Breaker
Does Aurora have her minimums for 4CCs? Honestly, I think they should try to send her to Worlds. Gabby probably shouldn't do 4CCs, so Aurora and Veronik can battle it out for the third Worlds spot. Besides Gabby, I think Alaine, based on her Skate America performance and her win here, should have her spots at 4CCs and Worlds assured. Larkyn I don't really see as part of the conversation.

DanseMacabre

Final Flight
Country
Iceland
As a reporting aside, since this is a bit of information/gossip that isn't relevant to the Nationals coverage I'm doing, multiple other people in the media room have heard the same thing that a lot of us have, namely, that Charlie's new partner is indeed Liubov.

Interesting!

BillNeal

You Know I'm a FS Fan...
Record Breaker
Does Aurora have her minimums for 4CCs? Honestly, I think they should try to send her to Worlds. Gabby probably shouldn't do 4CCs, so Aurora and Veronik can battle it out for the third Worlds spot. Besides Gabby, I think Alaine, based on her Skate America performance and her win here, should have her spots at 4CCs and Worlds assured. Larkyn I don't really see as part of the conversation.

Aurora doesn't. She will likely be sent to WJC, after beating Alison here. I think it's likely that Alaine, Veronik, and Larkyn go to 4CC. Larkyn needs to get her minimums for Worlds.

rachno2

Record Breaker
Aurora doesn't. She will likely be on the WJC team, after beating Alison here. I think it's likely that Alaine, Veronik, and Larkyn goes to 4CC. Larkyn needs to get her minimums for Worlds.

Which makes sense, but I think she (Aurora) should at least have the option to go to 4CCs and try to get a spot on the Senior World team after winning the silver medal. Aurora and Alison had comparable results on the JGP, so I think Alison would be a fine choice for JWC.

But that, of course, would entail Aurora doing another competition to get her 4CC minimums, and Skate Canada would probably prefer to just send the ladies who already have them.

ETA she could do Bavarian Open? Three comps is a lot, though, when she could just focus on JWC.

nadster

Final Flight
This mess is what happens when we don't send our old enough JGP ladies who plan to compete senior at nationals to senior B events.

I would send Aurora Cotop to JW. Her skates show she is gradually getting her jumping feet under her. Hopefully the 3-3 is back by JW. But her flip is back though.

Very important to maximize JGP spots as much as possible especially given the high quality of the top novices.

Koatterce

On the Ice
Country
Canada
the only ladies who currently have worlds mins are Alaine, Gabby, Veronik, and Alicia
Larkyn and Michelle are good for 4CC

I think they'll send Alaine, Gabby, and Veronik to worlds.

nationals results: Alaine > Veronik > Larkyn > Gabby
PCS at nationals: Alaine > Gabby (with a poor skate) > Veronik > Larkyn
body of work over the past few seasons: Gabby > Alaine > Veronik/Larkyn
body of work this season: Alaine > Veronik > Gabby/Larkyn (technically Gabby > Larkyn by virtue of the one competition she did, but it's insignificant)

Gabby didn't have a great free here, but she was still only ~2 points off the podium. We all know she can do much better than this, so I'm excited to see how she continues to improve!
As much as I appreciate Larkyn's improvements, I don't know if I can make a good argument to send her over any of the other three. She might get a 4CC assignment to see if she can get worlds minimums though (not sure at whose expense, but that doesn't matter much).
Alicia is in the same boat as Larkyn except she has the minimums but is injured - assuming she heals, I doubt she'll be sent unless someone WDs and Larkyn still doesn't have the mins

I think Aurora is going to get the JWC spot again - she did really well here. I dunno if they'd send her to a senior comp to see if she can get the mins, but it's probably better for her to go to junior worlds regardless.

natsulian

Final Flight
For Gabby to have gone out despite the lingering personal struggles and perform that well is a testament to just how talented and hardworking she is. Hopefully Gabby will use her performance here as a stepping stone to leverage herself and really put herself back on the map once more! Congrats to all the other skaters as well for putting out such great performances. As they always, it only goes up from here.

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
As much as I appreciate Larkyn's improvements, I don't know if I can make a good argument to send her over any of the other three. She might get a 4CC assignment to see if she can get worlds minimums though (not sure at whose expense, but that doesn't matter much).
I could see the case for giving Larkyn 4CC instead of Veronik, if they'd prefer not to risk overtaxing her. Worlds is where Veronik really wants to go, since she's never been. And letting Larkyn go to 4CC and get the minimums would mean that Skate Canada had more options later, since both Gabby and Veronik have question marks lingering over them to varying degrees.

They should probably try to get Aurora the minimums too, to play it safe.

Shani

On the Ice
Aurora is the 2019 Canadian Silver Medalist with deserved scores. It doesn't matter the what ifs. They need to give her a short term senior competition to get the minimums and send her to worlds. She earned silver not bronze and Canada has 3 World spots. She earned hers. Let the 3rd spot be for contention.