2018-19 Canadian figure skating | Page 87 | Golden Skate

2018-19 Canadian figure skating

Ziotic

Medalist
to me, the only way she cannot get the minimums is if she is not ready 100% to compete... then, she wouldn't be a great asset for JWC either where the responsibility is even greater with only one lady going and having to place high enough to get JGP spots.

What If she’s sick, food poisoning or the flu. They’d clear up before JW, but her minimums would be gone.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Interesting. So Gabby passed on 4CCs, but I assume she is still in the mix for Worlds.

Aurora not assigned to JWC is the big surprise. Is she still recovering from injury? Or are they sending her out to get minimums and possibly compete at Worlds?

If they do want Aurora and Gabby at Worlds, then is 4CCs really just a battle for first alternate?

No surprises in the men.

I imagine this was done to determine the 3rd spot for Worlds, and to give Austman an opportunity to get the technical minimums. If she doesn’t get the minimums, then there’s no choice but to send Gabby for Worlds since only 3 women will have the minimums (Chartrand, Daleman, Mallet).

Koatterce

On the Ice
Country
Canada
I imagine this was done to determine the 3rd spot for Worlds, and to give Austman an opportunity to get the technical minimums. If she doesn’t get the minimums, then there’s no choice but to send Gabby for Worlds since only 3 women will have the minimums (Chartrand, Daleman, Mallet).

Alicia has her minimums too. Her injury seems minor enough that she should be able to go to worlds if necessary, but they'd definitely send Alaine/Gabby/Veronik over her if they can

Osmond4gold

Record Breaker
TGee and SarahSynchro, so that you know, I missed you and your contributions this weekend. I hope you enjoyed Nationals and I look forward to seeing you back on a more regular basis.

mrrice

Record Breaker
Can I just say how happy I am for Alaine. To say that I am surprised to see her regain her title would be an understatement. So proud of her.

Ziotic

Medalist
Why wouldn’t they also send Conrad to Bavarian Open?? It couldn’t hurt really and then he could at least be first alt for Sr worlds.

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
I think if Aurora gets the minimums, they should send Alaine, Aurora and Veronik to Worlds. Gabby does not look worlds-ready.

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I think if Aurora gets the minimums, they should send Alaine, Aurora and Veronik to Worlds. Gabby does not look worlds-ready.
Gabrielle is simply in another class, technically and reputationally, compared to the others (Alaine is the closest). If she wants to go, and the people around don't feel it would imperil her mental and/or physical health, it would be foolish not to send her.

Even with her terrible free skate at Nationals, she was only barely behind Aurora and Veronik's scores.

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Gabrielle is simply in another class, technically and reputationally, compared to the others (Alaine is the closest). If she wants to go, and the people around don't feel it would imperil her mental and/or physical health, it would be foolish not to send her.

Even with her terrible free skate at Nationals, she was only barely behind Aurora and Veronik's scores.

Agree. And I believe she's only been back training for 3 weeks.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
If the Canadian Fed is smart they'll send Aurora to Worlds if she gets the minimums. The 3rd spot is pretty much lost for next season but they need to start looking to the future for the Canadian ladies because after Kaetlyn and Gabby retire it's going to be a few rough years before the the next generation to carry on and better to start now before they are both gone. This situation reminds me a bit of the US Ladies in 2008 when the US fed knew the 3rd spot was most likely going to be lost and they had a defending national champion who was struggling and didn't make the podium and a 16 year old with limited experience go to Worlds.

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
If the Canadian Fed is smart they'll send Aurora to Worlds if she gets the minimums. The 3rd spot is pretty much lost for next season but they need to start looking to the future for the Canadian ladies because after Kaetlyn and Gabby retire it's going to be a few rough years before the the next generation to carry on and better to start now before they are both gone. This situation reminds me a bit of the US Ladies in 2008 when the US fed knew the 3rd spot was most likely going to be lost and they had a defending national champion who was struggling and didn't make the podium and a 16 year old with limited experience go to Worlds.

I think they will send her. If they were just planning to have her as an alternate, they would have named her to JW instead of Alison.

BillNeal

You Know I'm a FS Fan...
Record Breaker
So with the all the 4CC entries announced, I'm predicting gold and bronze for dance and gold in pairs, with a decent shot at a bronze for men's and a top 5 finish for ladies.

skatenewbie

Medalist
So with the all the 4CC entries announced, I'm predicting gold and bronze for dance and gold in pairs, with a decent shot at a bronze for men's and a top 5 finish for ladies.
gold in dance is not really secured, H/D SB is 4 points higher, we can definitely get into podium though. also gold in pairs is kind of impossible with S/H in the entries. Men except gold is unpredictable so its possible, and for top 5 finish in ladies is also not easy, top 10 is more plausible with team japan, america, s.korea, etc...

BillNeal

You Know I'm a FS Fan...
Record Breaker
gold in dance is not really secured, H/D SB is 4 points higher, we can definitely get into podium though. also gold in pairs is kind of impossible with S/H in the entries. Men except gold is unpredictable so its possible, and for top 5 finish in ladies is also not easy, top 10 is more plausible with team japan, america, s.korea, etc...

Oops, I forgot S/H were returning at this comp rather than Worlds. I do think W/P have a real shot at that title, looking at the Nationals performances of C/B, H/D, G/P.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Wow, those are rose-colored predictions!

LADIES: Here are the SBs of some top 4CC contenders:

233.12 KIHIRA
213.90 SAKAMOTO
209.22 MIHARA
206.41 TENNELL
200.74 TURSYNBAEVA
199.79 CUI
198.96 BELL
196.34 Y KIM
196.31 E LIM
177.22 LEUNG

Canadian Ladies?
172.17 Chartrand
170.68 Mallet
------- Austman has no SB because she hasn't competed internationally this season.

Sorry, I can't see a top 5 finish for the Canadian ladies. If Gabby was fit and competing, yes, of course. But not with these 3.

The Japanese are sending a powerhouse, and a sweep is very possible. Tennell, who won two Challenger golds (Autumn Classic, Golden Spin) and GP bronze, has a medal shot if one of the Japanese ladies crumbles. Other high performers this season: Lim, Asian Challenge gold, US International silver, CoR bronze. Bell, Golden Spin bronze. Ting Cui, Philadelphia International gold, Tallinn Challenge silver.

In PAIRS, the return of SUI / HAN and CHENG / PING with a SB of 216.90 (behind only JAMES / CIPRES and TARASOVA / MOROZOV) is pretty stiff competition for the rest of the field.

DANCE remains to be seen. H/D is the GPF winner, but this is only C/B's third competition after Madi's return from surgery. W/P haven't competed against top competition this year, and G/P didn't make the final. The Canadanes have no international results since Euros 2018. We'll just have to see how things pan out.

MEN - with Chan not competing (has to go back to Yale), the top competition seems to be Shoma UNO, who won both GP events and GPF silver. MESSING started off the year with Nebelhorn gold and SC silver, but was 5th in the GPF before claiming Canadian Nationals bronze. Junhwan CHA has been consistent this season with 2 bronze GP medals and GPF bronze. Jason BROWN got off to a slow start after his move to Orser, but then he won silver at his second GP event, gold at Golden Spin and US Nationals bronze. NAM won the US International, but struggled in the GP; he may be on the upswing after his Nationals win. We don't know the current status of the frequently injured Boyang JIN, but if he's back in shape, look out. Vincent ZHOU has been working on his UR problem; he won a silver medal at the Tallinn Trophy before claiming US Nationals silver.

The only thing I'd predict in Men is that Shoma UNO will win---he was 5th in 2015, 4th in 2016, 3rd in 2017 and 2nd in 2018 (he lost to JIN).