2018-19 Canadian figure skating | Page 90 | Golden Skate

2018-19 Canadian figure skating

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Yes, Alaine is in 21st out of 22. Larkyn failed to get her basic minimum for worlds but still placed the best of the three Canadians, in 11th with 54.99
Which, incidentally, I don't agree with. I thought Veronik was a smidge undermarked there, though admittedly she has the double disadvantage of skating second and having been basically absent from international competition for two years. She had a lovely performance.

It just finished. Larkyn got 28.something.
28.99, literally 0.01 away from the minimum.

Basically her entire career after booking that Olympic ticket has been a series of extreme near-misses.

Ziotic

Medalist
Realistically, at best Larkyn would have been an alternate for worlds.

Alaine, Aurora (if she gets minimum), Veronik and Gabby are ahead.

She would need Gabby to decline worlds and Aurora to not get her minimums to go.

Tbh, if both those things happen I’ll be happy Alicia gets to go since she’s been doing well this season and had a minor injury at nationals. Had she skated, even remotely well I think she would have also placed ahead of Larkyn.

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
She would need Gabby to decline worlds and Aurora to not get her minimums to go.
I think it’s quite realistic for that to happen, though — especially, Aurora’s base value is quite low, so she needs to be more or less clean to get the minimums, which is a high bar.

mrrice

Record Breaker
There is no free skate cut off here, right? Alaine wouldn't make it. I hope she can redeem herself in the free.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Larkyn is an extremely beautiful woman. It's a shame her skating isn't anywhere near as good as her looks.

Koatterce

On the Ice
Country
Canada
I personally would have had Veronik a bit higher with the PCS, and therefore above Larkyn, but oh well, they're essentially tied anyways and I'm probably biased. Veronik's scores are limited by her tech content, but I expect that they will improve as she continues to work her way back from injury.

Larkyn had an unfortunate miss for the worlds TES there, but I don't think she had much of a chance to go anyways.

Poor Alaine, she posted on twitter and sounds like she's ready to fight tomorrow, hopefully she does well. https://twitter.com/AlaineChartrand/status/1093678882375397378

Osmond4gold

Record Breaker
Yes, Alaine is in 21st out of 22. Larkyn failed to get her basic minimum for worlds but still placed the best of the three Canadians, in 11th with 54.99

And 2 Canadian women on the verge of top 10 placements which some said was next to impossible ;) Not to worry as this would not be the first time a poster underestimated Canadian women only to be left :scratch2: Insert the past quad...here, or Canadian women owning 50% of World podium placements the past 2 seasons which leaves some, bitter still.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I think it’s quite realistic for that to happen, though — especially, Aurora’s base value is quite low, so she needs to be more or less clean to get the minimums, which is a high bar.

Aurora was squeaky clean at Nationals, usually the highest-pressure event for a skater.
And she may possibly have a bit more content by Worlds.

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Aurora was squeaky clean at Nationals, usually the highest-pressure event for a skater.
And she may possibly have a bit more content by Worlds.
I don't disagree that she can do it, I just also think that it has at least a decent prospect of not happening, since it's necessarily harder when your base value gives you little margin for error.

Now, if by chance she's confident enough in the flip to put that in the short (she did it in the free at Nationals), that would be a big help.

bobbob

Medalist
And 2 Canadian women on the verge of top 10 placements which some said was next to impossible ;) Not to worry as this would not be the first time a poster underestimated Canadian women only to be left :scratch2: Insert the past quad...here, or Canadian women owning 50% of World podium placements the past 2 seasons which leaves some, bitter.

Maybe there are such individuals (like there are individuals who strongly predicted top 5 for Alaine)...but certainly not me. I highly doubt anyone underestimated Canada's performance (11th, 12th, 21st) today. I predicted the top Canadian woman as 11th (see earlier in this thread)...we will see but looks like I was quite accurate, at least for the short. Where my prediction was inaccurate was I was a little bit too generous with Alaine's abilities. This is not the first time a poster overestimated Alaine, unfortunately, so I take full blame for that. I will be more considerate in future predictions with Alaine, though I won't generalize her issues to other Canadian skaters.

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Oh come on guys. People aren't required to be endlessly positive about Canadian ladies. This isn't a fan fest. We have to be okay with some critiques, even if we disagree. It's a rebuilding period right now. That's okay. Some will see things more positively than others, which is fine. That's true of lots of fields in different countries.

Compared to last season, our ladies field isn't nearly as strong. That's the reality. It is what it is. I tend to look on the positive side, but everyone can have their own perspective on the situation.

I don't think it does any good to brag about the results today - they weren't very good. Larkyn and Veronik are placed a little better than I would have guesses, but Larkyn missed the TES minimums and Alaine had an unfortunate skate. It's okay to say that. Nothing here today said that people were underestimating them. Being realistic about the results is okay.

Of them, Veronik did the best to her abilities and where she's at right now, so I'm happy for her being back competing. Larkyn skated pretty well - about as good as I expected. But when your tech is low, then it really hurts to make mistakes, and so she misses the TES and isn't an option for Worlds. I hope she tries to up it for next season a bit. Alaine is obviously capable of much better than that, so it's disappointing for her. I hope she has a bounce back FS.

And I hope Aurora skates well on the weekend in Germany. I really like her.

BillNeal

You Know I'm a FS Fan...
Record Breaker
Well, there's the free program still to go, another chance for the ladies to shine. As mentioned earlier, Alaine is ready to fight in the FS. Even though Larkyn just barely missed the SP TES minimum (a difference in ISU's method of rounding in their scoring algorithm would have resulted in a different outcome), it's promising to see the international judges willing to reward decent GOE when she hits her jumps; mostly +3's and +4's. Nice to see Veronik put out a good performance.

The men deserve some recognition. Keegan is only a few points away from the podium and fought with cat-like landings on both his 3A and 3Lz. A commendable performance from Nam, despite injuring his ankle in practice earlier in the week and as a result, had to revise his layouts. A respectable 4CC debut as well for Nic.

Looking forward to seeing our pairs and dance teams today :).

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
And 2 Canadian women on the verge of top 10 placements which some said was next to impossible ;)

The problem for Larkyn and Veronik is that both have low BV free skates so moving up from 11th and 12th in the rankings to top 10 is a tough proposition. The skaters ranked above them have 3f, 3z and 3/3s and a sizable point cushion. OTOH, there are two skaters just tenths of a point below them who also have better BV and could potentially pass them.

We'll just have to wait and see how the FS falls out tonight.

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Marjorie/Zach and Alicia/Paul are comfortably #1-2 after the rhythm dance at the Bavarian Open, with 67.35 and 58.54, respectively (the third-place team got 53.63).

In the advanced novice competition after the two pattern dances, Sophia/Kagolovskaya/Kieran MacDonald are in first (68.47), about four points ahead of the second-place French team. Keira Kam/Matthew Carter are in third, but second through fourth are all effectively tied with around 64 points.

BillNeal

You Know I'm a FS Fan...
Record Breaker
First small :medal"of 4CC. Woohoo! K-MT/M skating with the confidence of National Champs.

kenboy123

On the Ice
This isn't looking good for Canadian women in worlds, one of them staying in the top 10 is going to be a very tough ask unless they send Daleman and she surprisingly hits, we all know Osmond isn't coming back....anyways, i wonder if Moore-Towers/Mannarino is actually going to be a contender at Worlds, they never seem to be, they are usually the pair just outside of it like always...same thing for Gilles/Poirier in dance, they never seem to be real contenders, just pairs that will inevitable end up at 5th or 6th....for the men, obviously none of them will medal, but they will probably be able to keep at least 2 spots for worlds next year...