2018-19 Canadian figure skating | Page 92 | Golden Skate

2018-19 Canadian figure skating

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Should Chantrand even go to Worlds now???...she completely blew Four Continents....

She's already been named to the team. I would understand your desire to replace her if we only had one or two entries, but there are 3 entries and only 4 realistic candidates in total. She deserves it for winning Nationals.

Ziotic

Medalist
She's already been named to the team. I would understand your desire to replace her if we only had one or two entries, but there are 3 entries and only 4 realistic candidates in total. She deserves it for winning Nationals.

I would say 5 candidates; Alicia was injured but her season was pretty good. No worse than Veroniks.

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I would say 5 candidates; Alicia was injured but her season was pretty good. No worse than Veroniks.

They wouldn't send her over Veronik, who delivered at Nats and 4CCs. Or Aurora, who won silver at Nats. Or Gabby, if she's ready. And Alaine was already named for winning Nationals. It's unfortunate that she was hurt, but Alicia didn't do anything this season to justify sending her without a Nationals result, especially since her SB is ~11 points behind Veronik's. They would have sent Alicia if Aurora didn't get her minimums and Gabby isn't ready.

As of now the team should be either Alaine, Aurora and Veronik or Alaine, Aurora and Gabby.

kenboy123

On the Ice

I know she's already been named...that doesn't mean she actually should go...

Scout

Final Flight
I know she's already been named...that doesn't mean she actually should go...

But the spot was given to her. If they wanted to make it contingent on 4cc results, then that should have been done upfront.

What you're suggesting would encourage skaters to skip 4cc, so as not to tarnish the accomplishment from Canadians.

Koatterce

On the Ice
Country
Canada
Should Chantrand even go to Worlds now???...she completely blew Four Continents....

Every skater has bad competitions sometimes... Why should this one be treated any differently? Its not like there's someone right behind her ready to take her spot with higher scoring potential or better tech content. And either way, she's earned her spot, and rherefore should go unless she gets injured or something

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Alaine is always on and off and off and on this season... She messes up a program, nails the next, skates badly a weekend, does better the next one.... I think this was a reality check for her that Nationals are behind and that she needs to find her zone again, like in the LP at Nationals. So let's just hope that good and rotating Alaine shows up for worlds, with an in form Aurora and a rested and eager to compete Gabby.

trains

On the Ice
Sorry I am out of the loop. When did Veronik get her short program minimum tech score? Also what was the long program tech score that Conrad needed?

BillNeal

You Know I'm a FS Fan...
Record Breaker
Sorry I am out of the loop. When did Veronik get her short program minimum tech score? Also what was the long program tech score that Conrad needed?

Veronik obtained the tech minimums for both short and free programs at Finlandia earlier this season. Conrad needed 64 TES for the long program.

Here's Communication 2205 (see page 4), where you can find the tech minimums for this season's ISU Championships :).

Roo87

Medalist

Alaine is the only one besides Gabby capable of a 3-3, she has the tech content and has delivered in the past. Only she (+ Gabby) have a chance at keeping 2 spots for Canada. She won the nationals, she deserves to go. People have bad days, look at poor Kolyada, he's disastrous 50% of the time, but Russia knows what he's capable of so they continue to send I'm to competitions.

Ziotic

Medalist
They wouldn't send her over Veronik, who delivered at Nats and 4CCs. Or Aurora, who won silver at Nats. Or Gabby, if she's ready. And Alaine was already named for winning Nationals. It's unfortunate that she was hurt, but Alicia didn't do anything this season to justify sending her without a Nationals result, especially since her SB is ~11 points behind Veronik's. They would have sent Alicia if Aurora didn't get her minimums and Gabby isn't ready.

As of now the team should be either Alaine, Aurora and Veronik or Alaine, Aurora and Gabby.

I agree they would only send Alicia is Aurora hadn’t got her minimums and Gabby wasn’t ready.

I was just pointing out that someone else does have the minimums.

BillNeal

You Know I'm a FS Fan...
Record Breaker
Congrats to Weaver/Poje and Gilles/Poirer for winning the silver and bronze at 4CC! Stunning performances that both teams gave back to back:

Weaver/Poje: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OsYTLgg8HN0
Gilles/Poirer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wA87UlZp3ls

And a superb 4CC debut by Fournier-Beaudry/Sorensen. We're lucky to have these strong dance teams pushing each other this quad.

What a fantastic showing for the Canadians at 4CC, with a silver and bronze in dance, a silver (0.06 from gold) in pairs, a 4th place finish in men's (that should really have been a bronze), and 2 Top 10 finishes for the ladies. Exceeding expectations and #CreatingHistory :).

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Alaine is the only one besides Gabby capable of a 3-3, she has the tech content and has delivered in the past. Only she (+ Gabby) have a chance at keeping 2 spots for Canada. She won the nationals, she deserves to go. People have bad days, look at poor Kolyada, he's disastrous 50% of the time, but Russia knows what he's capable of so they continue to send I'm to competitions.

When in recent history has Alaine landed a 3/3? She has a planned tech content, but so far this season she really hasn't delivered it. Even at Nationals, she fell on the lutz in the SP and had to do 3lo+2t. In the FS, her 3t was UR in the 3/3 attempt, and she got two additional URs.

At 4CC, Aliane looked uncomfortable and insecure, and her skating showed that, especially in the FS, where she landed just one clean triple (all the others were UR or a fall). Alaine tends to skate best on home ice, where she is respected as a champion and has an enthusiastic audience cheering her on. Worlds is in Japan, where audiences cheer all the skaters, but never as loudly as they do for their own. There, she is just another competitor, and that seems to eat at her confidence.

One can only hope that Alaine won't dwell on what happened at 4CC, but will be determined to do better at Worlds. I just further hope that Gabby will be at Worlds so we don't have to worry so much about Alaine.

Roo87

Medalist
When in recent history has Alaine landed a 3/3? She has a planned tech content, but so far this season she really hasn't delivered it. Even at Nationals, she fell on the lutz in the SP and had to do 3lo+2t. In the FS, her 3t was UR in the 3/3 attempt, and she got two additional URs.

At 4CC, Aliane looked uncomfortable and insecure, and her skating showed that, especially in the FS, where she landed just one clean triple (all the others were UR or a fall). Alaine tends to skate best on home ice, where she is respected as a champion and has an enthusiastic audience cheering her on. Worlds is in Japan, where audiences cheer all the skaters, but never as loudly as they do for their own. There, she is just another competitor, and that seems to eat at her confidence.

One can only hope that Alaine won't dwell on what happened at 4CC, but will be determined to do better at Worlds. I just further hope that Gabby will be at Worlds so we don't have to worry so much about Alaine.

Yes but even with all those mistakes at nationals, she still beat the other ladies who were clean. I’m not saying she’s delivering her tech, but she will still score higher internationally, which is what Canada needs at worlds.

xox

On the Ice
Congrats to all our Canadians!!! Checking is Fournier-Beaudry turning 30 this year?? Interesting age to reboot career in a new country. Older than Paul? Closer in age to Andrew?

Scout

Final Flight
Congrats to all our Canadians!!! Checking is Fournier-Beaudry turning 30 this year?? Interesting age to reboot career in a new country. Older than Paul? Closer in age to Andrew?

Fournier-Beaudry is 26, but her partner, Nikolaj, is turning 30 in a few days. Given that they've already skated together for awhile, it's not really a reboot, so much as a continuation, with the aim of achieving their Olympic dream.

bunnybarista

If I risk it all, could you break my fall?~
On the Ice
Congrats to Weaver/Poje and Gilles/Poirer for winning the silver and bronze at 4CC! Stunning performances that both teams gave back to back:

Weaver/Poje: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OsYTLgg8HN0
Gilles/Poirer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wA87UlZp3ls

And a superb 4CC debut by Fournier-Beaudry/Sorensen. We're lucky to have these strong dance teams pushing each other this quad.

What a fantastic showing for the Canadians at 4CC, with a silver and bronze in dance, a silver (0.06 from gold) in pairs, a 4th place finish in men's (that should really have been a bronze), and 2 Top 10 finishes for the ladies. Exceeding expectations and #CreatingHistory :).

Yes I am thrilled for all 3 dance teams!! Not quite Virtue/Moir levels (sorry, I'm a little biased ;)), but they are strong, beautiful teams with so much potential. I love, love, love Weaver/Poje's FD - those lifts take away my breath every time. I also loved the stationary lifts from both G/P and FB/S. And FB/S sold me on their flamenco dance even though that can easily be cliche.

I so wish that Moore-Towers / Marinaro had made it to Gold - how awful to be so close and yet so far. But nonetheless, a lovely medal. Both of their programs were breathtaking!

xox

On the Ice
Yes I see moving towards the Olympics to represent Canada at 33 with better oddds in Canada! Thanks for clearing that up. :)