2018-19 Canadian figure skating | Page 98 | Golden Skate

2018-19 Canadian figure skating

Balloon

On the Ice
Canada seems to have a strong younger field in novice and junior ladies. So I am hopeful we will see some great up and comings this season.
They’ll just need to keep focus through growth and pressure.

Orlov

Medalist
So my point is the following : Skate Canada gambled on getting great skating skills, basic technique for the girls.

Does this provide any real benefits on competition? From my noob point of view, Larkyn’s programs, for example, are very simple and will never get a good PCS (her program, you know, this is how to open a video in YouTube with FS-program of 20 years ago).

So, do you think that a lady can learn to perform the (7+2)-program and jump on difficult jumps and combo at a later age? And that this is a working, stable, scheme for everyone, and not for individual uniques (Osmond)? In Russia, there is another point of view - that jumps need to be learned before puberty.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Does this provide any real benefits on competition? From my noob point of view, Larkyn’s programs, for example, are very simple and will never get a good PCS (her program, you know, this is how to open a video in YouTube with FS-program of 20 years ago).

So, do you think that a lady can learn to perform the (7+2)-program and jump on difficult jumps and combo at a later age? And that this is a working, stable, scheme for everyone, and not for individual uniques (Osmond)? In Russia, there is another point of view - that jumps need to be learned before puberty.

Skate Canada agrees that jumps should be learned earlier. It's part of the new orientation that just started a couple years ago.

Where I disagree with you is on Larkyn's programs for instance. You have to see the speed and flow of many of the Canadian ladies, including Larkyn. Yes, a lot of the Russian girls do lots of turns and transitions, but their movements are not always finished or refined and the flow is not maintained while doing those. I guess, it's a question of taste. I prefer less but better to more but not so refined. Of course, some Russian skaters have quality as well... but that's not the norm... so I could compare them to what you say about Osmond... that she is unique in the sense that she has both the skills promoted by the federation and the jumps needed to win medals.

What is interesting to note though is that with a smaller field, good basic skating will bring you a long way : there are Canadian girls who have jumps without basic skating skills... they are far away from the podium. In fact, the junior girl who have joined the elite is Cotop, and she is a beautiful skater. You can watch Emily Bausback and Olivia Gran : fine they may not always be consistent but they have their jumps... though they will not do well in seniors until they refine their skating.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States

Agreed that Larkyn's programs are simple. But at Cup of Tyrol, where she was skating against seasoned skaters, she had the third highest PCS in both SP and FS. It is her TES that is holding her back, because of her lack of consistency with the higher value elements.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Despite falling on an underrotated 3f and popping 3 jumps, Larkyn got high PCS and finished 5th overall, which means she gets World Ranking list points. Unfortunately, she won't get a new SB because only ISU championship and Challenger events count for SB.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Sigh. Why all the snarking? I think it's a shame for all of us that this is happening at all. Why don't we try to learn from each other? Russia has a great depth in ladies today, but this was not the case in the past. One may like it or not, but their system seems to work in producing champions. If getting champions is the aim: good for them! However, my main personal problem would be that I like to root for specific skaters and I just didn't get the chance with them quite recently, but I am now. Zagitova may encounter some mishaps, but she's continuing and still winning medals, the same for Medvedeva and Liza makes it all even better! Isn't it just great that we get to follow these young ladies, even after big successes? With the Canadians, it's slightly different. I love Kaetlyn's skating and I've been able to follow her for quite some time. That was nice, and now hopefully Gaby's back (if not medalling). The Canadian ladies programme did well too, though in a different way. Both systems have brought us beautiful skates and programmes. It depends a bit on what you like as a fan (and I'm not in favour of any specific country, just love certain skaters). With the pairs (my favourite always) there's more similarity in programmes I think: both systems produce more longevity. I think it's wonderful that after following D/B for many years, MT/M are now showing great promise...while T/M have been on the scene for quite a while and are still developping. Both systems have young talents coming up, and don't I love them all. While in the end I'm rooting for Loena in ladies, and J/C in pairs. Haha...no development programme present at all. But I hope both Russians and Canadians score well at Worlds! Whatever the system behind it.

Who is D/B? Sorry brain freeze.

Osmond4gold

Record Breaker
Your best hope Cotop has never performed the program 7 + 2. How is Canada going to respond to the quad's and trixel's revolution in ladies skating? "Holy puberty", as we say?

Can you explain specifically and clearly how are you going to withstand the insane competition in ladies's skating? Without (1.Collect underpants/2.???/3.PROFIT!)-argument.

We will respond in time just as we have after Karen, Liz, Joannie, Gabby and Kaetlyn, all mature women who became either World Champions, Olympic and World medalists, not to mention that 50% of total World podiums currently, have been claimed by Canadian women the past 2 seasons. :) For a country with less citizens than the Ukraine, Poland or the state of California, is remarkable.

Aurora Cotop has possibly the best coach as Ravi knows how to take raw ingredients and a strong work ethic, to make a skater extraordinary, especially post puberty. There are reasons why Medvedeva chose Canada to train, as she wanted a career after 17. "Holy puberty" indeed, Orlov!

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
We will respond in time just as we have after Karen, Liz, Joannie, Gabby and Kaetlyn, all mature women who became either World Champions, Olympic and World medalists, not to mention that 50% of total World podiums currently, have been claimed by Canadian women the past 2 seasons. :)

You've forgotten a few:

1947-48 Barbara Ann Scott - Olympic gold, 2 World Championships
1964-65 Petra Burka - Olympic bronze, World Championship
1972-73 Karen Magnussen - Olympic silver, World Championship
1988 Elizabeth Manley - Olympic silver, World silver
2009-10 Joannie Rochette - World silver, Olympic bronze
2017-18 Kaetlyn Osmond - World silver, Olympic bronze, World Championship

There are some huge gaps in between outstanding skaters.

If Kaetlyn doesn't return to competition, there may be another gap coming, hence "respond in time".

Aurora Cotop has possibly the best coach as Ravi knows how to take raw ingredients and a strong work ethic, to make a skater extraordinary, especially post puberty. There are reasons why Medvedeva chose Canada to train, as she wanted a career after 17. "Holy puberty" indeed, Orlov!

Evgenia Medvedeva chose BRIAN ORSER, an outstanding coach known for guiding top elite international skaters (Yuzuru Hanyu, Javier Fernandez, Junhwan Cha, to name a few); Orser just happens to live and work in Canada.

Ravi Walia is best known as Osmond's coach.

Osmond4gold

Record Breaker
Evgenia Medvedeva chose BRIAN ORSER

Yes chuckm, we are well aware of this fact. My point is she chose to come to Canada as our coaching strategies, training techniques as in the need for speed and strong basic skating skills, as well as having short term and long term career goals and overall coaching methods are different than what she had experienced previously. Being 16 and done, cannot be fun.

Balloon

On the Ice
Despite falling on an underrotated 3f and popping 3 jumps, Larkyn got high PCS and finished 5th overall, which means she gets World Ranking list points. Unfortunately, she won't get a new SB because only ISU championship and Challenger events count for SB.

PCS were high in both programs but considering she isn’t trying harder jumping passes this does not surprise me.

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
Can you explain specifically and clearly how are you going to withstand the insane competition in ladies' skating?

I know I'm not the person you were asking, but as a casual observer--one who is not Canadian and has not seen the young munchkins coming up in Canada below the junior level but who has watched a lot of skating over the years--I'll take a stab at your question. First, I'll preface it by saying that for anyone who has watched the ebb & flow of Canadian women's senior skating over the past 3 decades, I personally view the results from the 2017 World Championships as a miracle. To have not one but two Canadian ladies on the podium, it was really a surprising result even at the time. Nationals was very well skated, but even so I don't think this result would have matched most people's predictions for the event and didn't really seem likely until the actual week of Worlds when it became clear that both Gabby & Kaetlyn were at the top of their game during the practice sessions. It would not be much of an understatement, IMO, to say that two medals at Worlds for Canadian women is about as astonishing as two medals at Worlds might be for U.S. pairs. Really it was quite phenomenal and can be appreciated for how unique that moment was over the decades.

Now, as far as the rebuilding is concerned, my guess is that it could take a while. I haven't watched the Canadian ladies at the lower levels so I don't know how long a while. But I do know about two fairly common phenomenon . . .

1. Canada tends to "hang on" to their top athletes longer than the U.S. & Russia. They tend to bring back athletes out of retirement/the professional ranks or maintain incentive for skating even after top athletes have passed their peak. (I honestly don't know how the Canadian Fed does this, but my guess is that it is a combination of funding/sponsorships/tradition/limited internal competition). Often skaters will do an "extra" quad. Similar to how Romanian gymnastics always used to keep a former top athlete on the team to serve as a leader. I look at athletes like Kaetlyn & Gabby, and I think in the U.S. or Russia, they would be done or at least the odds would be very low that they would be at the Olympics in a couple years. But I find with Canada, athletes of this caliber tend to show back up when the next Olympic season rolls around. So while the odds do not look particularly good that these ladies will be there in Beijing, because we are talking about Canada, there is probably a decent chance that at least one of them will be there.

2. When you have an Olympic or World Champion, you inspire a new generation. One that is at the "right" age for getting into a sport. There's quite a delay. These kids are usually @6 years (4-8) years old. (We are seeing that post-Yuna generation coming up now in Korea. We've been seeing the post-Mao one come up in Japan for quite a while). My guess would be that there will be a post-Kaetlyn one in Canada. But it will take a while. Usually takes 2 quadrenniums for the first wave to show up & three to hit its peak.

(Re. Evgenia Medvedeva). Being 16 and done, cannot be fun.

:rock: for the poetry.

16 and done -- that's no fun.
19 and free -- going for 3.

Or --

Off to Saitama, there she will seek a
'Nother world title, but has to beat Rika!

Last edited:

Skater Boy

Record Breaker

Oh my - that doesn't sound very impressive for an olympian and national medallist. Yikes.

Balloon

On the Ice
Good that Canada sent Larkyn out but moving forward I would think it’s maybe better to give others a shot, atleast until we see more triples coming from Larkyn. I have to agree that they gave her opportunities and she was not able to deliver.
Canada does have Junior and even some Novice Ladies with multiple triples-I hope the Novice can keep up with their growth spurts.
I do like Cotop, Schumacher and others headed out in senior this year, but think these upcoming juniors will keep me intrigued-more then one seem to be the ‘whole package’ technical side, performance, grace and presence.

Noxchild

Medalist
Country
Canada
Is it really the end of the world if Canada happens to be in a drought for women's skating right now? :think: Every country has its weaknesses, and we've been incredibly lucky to have had the Pyeongchang powerhouse team roster for such a long time. People retire, go on break, move on, and there aren't always hungry birds pecking at the wing to fill the vacuum just yet. The next World champion probably, erm, won't be Canadian :p (GO RIKA! :hap10:) But in a few more years...? Give it time, people. It's skating, not a war ;)

kenboy123

On the Ice
Is it really the end of the world if Canada happens to be in a drought for women's skating right now? :think: Every country has its weaknesses, and we've been incredibly lucky to have had the Pyeongchang powerhouse team roster for such a long time. People retire, go on break, move on, and there aren't always hungry birds pecking at the wing to fill the vacuum just yet. The next World champion probably, erm, won't be Canadian :p (GO RIKA! :hap10:) But in a few more years...? Give it time, people. It's skating, not a war ;)

For some people....it's always war...

kenboy123

On the Ice

Btw, if your definition of a few years is the amount of time between Karen Magnussen and Kaetlyn Osmond, then....:eeking: