2018-19 Canadian figure skating | Page 15 | Golden Skate

2018-19 Canadian figure skating

BillNeal

You Know I'm a FS Fan...
Record Breaker
500th post!

To my Canadian friends, happy Victoria Day long weekend!

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
500th post!

To my Canadian friends, happy Victoria Day long weekend!

happy that you shared your 500th with us!!!!

long weekend for me = tax weekend... i know i am late... it's the case every year for me LOL

Mango

Royal Chinet 👑🍽️
Record Breaker
BillNeal congrats on 500!

ECB thanks for recapping day 1. This year it seems like people were less prepared than usual. :( Spin issues were common so I get those low levels.

Sarah Tamura's skating her FS to Miss Saigon.

Olivia Gran improved from her disastrous SP to put in a decent FS. Video: http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x6jw5ws/?start=774

She should be getting a JGP assignment.

Though why is it that Olivia appears to be a female Conrad? Jump potential is great but artistry... :slink:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
BillNeal congrats on 500!

ECB thanks for recapping day 1. This year it seems like people were less prepared than usual. :( Spin issues were common so I get those low levels.

Sarah Tamura's skating her FS to Miss Saigon.

Olivia Gran improved from her disastrous SP to put in a decent FS. Video: http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x6jw5ws/?start=774

She should be getting a JGP assignment.

Though why is it that Olivia appears to be a female Conrad? Jump potential is great but artistry... :slink:

i see what you mean : but the comparison to Conrad is limited to jumping.. Olivia and Conrad have very "soft' beautiful jumps when landed... or popped LOL... there is this natural ability in both of them to do well in the air... but on the ice, at least Conrad tries... this was to me, a very disappointing program. I will wait to make a judgment until later because right now, it may be just too new... but if i were to judge now : i disliked it

Scout

Final Flight
i see what you mean : but the comparison to Conrad is limited to jumping.. Olivia and Conrad have very "soft' beautiful jumps when landed... or popped LOL... there is this natural ability in both of them to do well in the air... but on the ice, at least Conrad tries... this was to me, a very disappointing program. I will wait to make a judgment until later because right now, it may be just too new... but if i were to judge now : i disliked it

Agree, was disappointed. There was no commitment to the program, just the jumps. Hoping this program will grow with the season. And Olivia's young, her artistry and presentation will develop as she matures. She also looks a lot taller than what I remember from last year.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Agree, was disappointed. There was no commitment to the program, just the jumps. Hoping this program will grow with the season. And Olivia's young, her artistry and presentation will develop as she matures. She also looks a lot taller than what I remember from last year.

yup the taller slender body... like Conrad.. i think that's where Mango was going.. it seems Canadians are developing a new "race" of taller skaters who can jump ...

Gran has a beautiful lift in her jump.. I can see why she has so many fans.

Mango

Royal Chinet 👑🍽️
Record Breaker
yup the taller slender body... like Conrad.. i think that's where Mango was going.. it seems Canadians are developing a new "race" of taller skaters who can jump ...

Gran has a beautiful lift in her jump.. I can see why she has so many fans.

It was the jumps and lack of artistry that made me think of Conrad, not her figure, but you're right, they do have similar figures.

I noticed she does do spread eagles. Does Conrad do them? Actually, does Conrad do any special moves? I don't think I've seen a cantilever, hydroblade, or Ina Bauer from him. 4ec you watch your son more closely than I do so I hope you can answer this.

I admire the fact that Olivia has all her triples. It's such a rare thing amongst girls in Canada. She's just lacking polish. I have hope for her though. After seeing how much Emily Bausback improved after her comeback I definitely have hope for Olivia as well. She just needs to commit to it.

Also hoping Conrad takes the skating skills drills at CC seriously and comes out new and improved.

The exciting thing about this upcoming season is that all of Canada's top NextGen is going to be skating junior. I don't think anyone will benefit from the North American series because no one's left in novice. The next-Next Gen can enjoy it. :)

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
It was the jumps and lack of artistry that made me think of Conrad, not her figure, but you're right, they do have similar figures.

I noticed she does do spread eagles. Does Conrad do them? Actually, does Conrad do any special moves? I don't think I've seen a cantilever, hydroblade, or Ina Bauer from him. 4ec you watch your son more closely than I do so I hope you can answer this.

I admire the fact that Olivia has all her triples. It's such a rare thing amongst girls in Canada. She's just lacking polish. I have hope for her though. After seeing how much Emily Bausback improved after her comeback I definitely have hope for Olivia as well. She just needs to commit to it.

Also hoping Conrad takes the skating skills drills at CC seriously and comes out new and improved.

The exciting thing about this upcoming season is that all of Canada's top NextGen is going to be skating junior. I don't think anyone will benefit from the North American series because no one's left in novice. The next-Next Gen can enjoy it. :)
you need to scroll back ;) the figures is an afterthought.. i mentioned the jumps and lack of artistry in the previous post about this... though I think Conrad tries harder...

conrad's special move : miming... :devil:

Mango

Royal Chinet 👑🍽️
Record Breaker
you need to scroll back ;) the figures is an afterthought.. i mentioned the jumps and lack of artistry in the previous post about this... though I think Conrad tries harder...

conrad's special move : miming... :devil:

Conrad when he gets music he can get into definitely performs.

Well now with Evgenia and him becoming training mates maybe she can explain to him that miming was not a choice and should not be embraced except in specific circumstances.

He needs some 'wow' elements in his programs. It's a long wait until the summer competitions so he's got plenty of time to get it together.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Conrad when he gets music he can get into definitely performs.

Well now with Evgenia and him becoming training mates maybe she can explain to him that miming was not a choice and should not be embraced except in specific circumstances.

He needs some 'wow' elements in his programs. It's a long wait until the summer competitions so he's got plenty of time to get it together.

honestly, if it's going to be a gimmicky hydro blade, he doesn't need a wow element... does Patrick do wow elements? no... he is the wow element.

Mango

Royal Chinet 👑🍽️
Record Breaker
honestly, if it's going to be a gimmicky hydro blade, he doesn't need a wow element... does Patrick do wow elements? no... he is the wow element.

Patrick has spread eagles, no? Well all of Patrick's blade work is 'wow' so he doesn't need to do anything extra. But most skaters who don't have Patrick's skills do incorporate something that gets the audience to sit up. A split jump, consecutive spread eagles, a cantilever, etc. Some put in interesting spins, like Alaine. But spins aren't Conrad's strong point either so... Anyways, this is for him, his coaches, and choreographers to consider.

---

Hat tip to a QC friend for sharing the 2018-19 QC teams info with me.

Équipes Excellence-A-NextGen
Équipe B
Criteria

That criteria is not on par with what Skate Canada has set out.

New teams
Alicia Fabbri/Paul Ayer
Chloe Panetta/Benjamin Mimar
Shalena Rau /Steven Lapointe

Paul Ayer's birthday is April 6, 1998 so he's got one season of junior left. Rau/Lapointe are both seniors now. I don't know Benjamin's age but I am guessing Panetta/Mimar will be skating junior next season.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Patrick has spread eagles, no? Well all of Patrick's blade work is 'wow' so he doesn't need to do anything extra. But most skaters who don't have Patrick's skills do incorporate something that gets the audience to sit up. A split jump, consecutive spread eagles, a cantilever, etc. Some put in interesting spins, like Alaine. But spins aren't Conrad's strong point either so... Anyways, this is for him, his coaches, and choreographers to consider.

---

Hat tip to a QC friend for sharing the 2018-19 QC teams info with me.

Équipes Excellence-A-NextGen
Équipe B
Criteria

That criteria is not on par with what Skate Canada has set out.

New teams
Alicia Fabbri/Paul Ayer
Chloe Panetta/Benjamin Mimar
Shalena Rau /Steven Lapointe

Paul Ayer's birthday is April 6, 1998 so he's got one season of junior left. Rau/Lapointe are both seniors now. I don't know Benjamin's age but I am guessing Panetta/Mimar will be skating junior next season.

i don't remember patrick doing spread eagles.... he does a besti squat... that's really the only move i think about... you need to have a good turn out to do spread eagles... patrick is not super flexible as he is quite muscular.

i am sure conrad will have to work a lot on basics upon arriving to tcc.. i would focus on that and spins if i were his coach... his spins are subpar.

Patinage Québec....

UGH... many names are missing :( Veronik Mallet, Edrian Paul Celestino, Kim Deguise, Jérémie Creveaux...(naming some of the ones I truly enjoyed watching and are no longer on the list)... you will be missed guys...

Krunchii

Record Breaker
Patrick last did some outside edge spreadeagles in about 2012, he doesn't really have the hip flexibility to keep practicing such an element and he doesn't need it I guess.

The problem with Conrad is that he's practicing all these crazy jumps, had a big growth spurt, and the rest of his skating hasn't caught up. Hopefully his basics and posture will improve at TCC, he's very tall with long limbs, should take some dance classes to learn how to use them better.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics

Every stroke of his blade is a "wow element." ;)

Osmond4gold

Record Breaker

BillNeal

You Know I'm a FS Fan...
Record Breaker
I'm not sure why Toronto, but Toronto will be the site of the selections for GP assignments.

https://twitter.com/_David_Molina/status/1000323183738843141

Thanks. So would this be like a 3 day meeting where the draws and invites are decided by the hosts of the 6 Grand Prixes? I remember in the past, there would be an announcement posted on the ISU page with the PDF. Are they perhaps holding a press conference now to announce the entries, in addition to publishing the PDF?