2018-19 Canadian figure skating | Page 55 | Golden Skate

2018-19 Canadian figure skating

Osmond4gold

Record Breaker
My use of $ was a replacement for the letter S, and I have used this previously when discussing the TdF, which has had challenge$ over the years, to the point that it has been suggested on GS that this event be moved to a new location for multiple reasons. Regular visitors to this Thread would know that, others may not be aware of this nor my celtic sense of humour. Once a year visitors to this Thread, ...not so much.

The events of Bratislava reminded me of TdF in terms of circumstances affecting the event and the overall experience for some, Stephen and his fans mainly.

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
The Czech JGP assignments just came out. Among other things, Fisher/Malette-Paquette have now surfaced and are scheduled to compete there. So whatever was keeping them off the circuit, it has apparently resolved (or will be by this time next month).

And Bronsard/Bouaraguia get their first international assignment.

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
And now, the Nebelhorn entries are out.

We already knew who Canada was sending, of course. Piper and Paul will cruise to victory there, but I was more surprised to see that Keegan probably has a legitimate shot at winning his discipline.

TGee

Record Breaker
And now, the Nebelhorn entries are out.

We already knew who Canada was sending, of course. Piper and Paul will cruise to victory there, but I was more surprised to see that Keegan probably has a legitimate shot at winning his discipline.
It would be great to see Keegan as the Nebelhorn winner.

I know that the event is also a qualifier for the extra country spots.

Would it be possible for Canada to earn another men's berth for World's if Keegan places well?

ice coverage

Record Breaker
It would be great to see Keegan as the Nebelhorn winner.

I know that the event is also a qualifier for the extra country spots.

Would it be possible for Canada to earn another men's berth for World's if Keegan places well?

In Olympic seasons, some countries have qualified for OWG spots via Nebelhorn placements.

Nebelhorn is not a path to qualification for Worlds spots.

A win or high placement for Keegan would be great, but it would not increase Canada's spots for Worlds.

TGee

Record Breaker
In Olympic seasons, some countries have qualified for OWG spots via Nebelhorn placements.

Nebelhorn is not a path to qualification for Worlds spots.

A win or high placement for Keegan would be great, but it would not increase Canada's spots for Worlds.
Thanks for the explanation, the special status of Nebelhorn among the Challenger Series events was always a puzzle to me.

Some small country posters felt the Olympic qualifier status was something everyone should be aware of, so I was wondering if Nebelhorn conferred any special benefits outside of Olympic seasons

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Thanks for the explanation, the special status of Nebelhorn among the Challenger Series events was always a puzzle to me.

Some small country posters felt the Olympic qualifier status was something everyone should be aware of, so I was wondering if Nebelhorn conferred any special benefits outside of Olympic seasons

i think the confusion comes the new rules suggestion about world spots that left me confused... not sure they were adopted though...

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
i think the confusion comes the new rules suggestion about world spots that left me confused... not sure they were adopted though...

I think those new rules (initially limiting the number of spots to the number of skaters who qualified for the free/long program) apply to the Olympics only. Countries who lost spots because of the limitation would be able to compete for a single additional spot at "the Olympic qualifier" (Nebelhorn), but only using a skater who didn't make the free in the previous Worlds.

I think that they were adopted. We'll probably hear a lot more about it in the next Olympic season!

And we'll probably be able to tell whether they apply to Worlds based on what happens this year.

ice coverage

Record Breaker

Worlds spots and Olympic spots are different kettles of fish -- in the sense that every ISU member automatically gets one Worlds spot (as long as it has an entry who meets TES minimums), whereas the total number of OWG spots per discipline cannot exceed a certain quota.

Through 2018 OWG, the only countries allowed to earn OWG spots at Nebelhorn were those attempting to get their first and only OWG spot in a discipline.

(For multiple reasons ;), I will stay out of the discussion of the complexities of the changes for 2022 OWG.)

ETA:
I am not a historian, but before the Challenger Series was established, Nebelhorn already had the status of being the Olympic qualifying comp (other than Worlds). Theoretically, the ISU could change to another senior international for the Olympic qualifying comp.​

This year Selena Zhao once again will skate in An Evening With Champions.

Elladj also is a cast member this year.

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Re anthem: I don't know exactly what happened either, but my best guess is that it was the sound system in the arena that gave out. In the morning that day they already couldn't play that melody that's supposed to be played before introducing the officials and stuff (what's that even called?). They ended up playing it from a laptop and holding a microphone to it, lol. Then later that day the whole system went down again for the warm-up of group 3 of men IIRC. So I guess they had trouble with the CD player/whatever was plugged into the speakers to play MP3s. (Sorry, a bit off topic here.)

It was also a problem with music for one of the skaters (Luke Digby, IIRC) who had to start his performance twice. Hope Stephen hears the anthem soon :)

Thank you for your informative posts.

I can picture Lee Barkel traveling to competitions from now on with multiple copies of Oh Canada in every format.

It was especially unfortunate that the national anthem glitch happened at Stephen's very first official (junior/senior) international competition win.

So, what other skaters' coaches should "load up" on copies of Oh Canada? As far as I know, Keegan Messing has not won an international gold medal for Canada. What other coaches should be sure to be over-prepared for a first international gold medal? Lajoie/Lagha's? Who else?

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
So, what other skaters' coaches should "load up" on copies of Oh Canada? As far as I know, Keegan Messing has not won an international gold medal for Canada. What other coaches should be sure to be over-prepared for a first international gold medal? Lajoie/Lagha's? Who else?
Marjorie and Zach won gold at JGP Croatia last season, so whatever technical glitches may occur will only affect a hypothetical second win.

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Marjorie and Zach won gold at JGP Croatia last season, so whatever technical glitches may occur will only affect a hypothetical second win.

Thank you. They don't have a Wikipedia page, so I used the ISU results page and forgot that I had to click through to the second page to get all their results.

Of course they want Oh Canada for all wins, but the first is special!

I just checked the video, and they got both Oh Canada and a FLAG. Good work, JGP Croatia organizers!

GS Forum Staff

Record Breaker
Competition chat: Update

This is a blanket post for all national threads as JGP Linz kicks off.

Just a reminder:pray:

Please keep all competition chat in the Competition forums. This includes scores, starting orders, elements, etc. Last week, we tried to encourage folks to post using their best judgement, however, some posters inevitably used various other threads as a replacement for the competition threads, and that is what we want to avoid.

Once the event is over, feel free to discuss in other Fan Fest, national threads, etc.

Should we find that folks are still discussing competition info in these threads, said threads will be closed until after the competition.

Thanks for you understanding and for supporting Golden Skate!

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
[FONT=&quot]Emotional, Weaver and Poje explain their choice of FD music to the Kazakh piece [/FONT]S.O.S d'un terrien en détresse[FONT=&quot] as a tribute to Denis Ten [/FONT]#HPcamp18

I. Love. This. Team.