2018-19 Canadian figure skating | Page 57 | Golden Skate

2018-19 Canadian figure skating

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
So in terms of juniors who make the video, I see Marjorie/Zach, Stephen, Conrad, and Aurora. No Joseph, unless I missed him somewhere.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Is there a promising Canadian junior competing this week for the ladies? Or same type of results as the previous 2 events?

emily bausback is the one competing this weekend and it will be same type of results as the previous 2 events which is in my opinion very good and promising. YMMV

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Is there a promising Canadian junior competing this week for the ladies? Or same type of results as the previous 2 events?
There were promising Canadian junior ladies at both of the previous events.

If you're asking whether somebody is going to contend for a medal, then no, there isn't anybody like that in the junior ranks. But that's nothing new. Watching the junior ladies is more about seeing who's on track to be a credible senior in a couple of years, and by that standard I think both Schumacher and Bulawka acquitted themselves pretty decently.

TGee

Record Breaker
I'm looking forward to seeing Aurora Cotop progress.

Although a podium would be a stretch, it's not out of reach.

She is a level above in development compared to the other Canadian Junior women.

She had a bit of a rough season last year as she adjusted to her growth, but Aurora's magic seemed back in the two national summer series events. Spending a summer with Ravi Wallia seems to have really helped.

I'm also hoping to see Amelia Orzel, Conrad's younger sister, get her first JGP. She was Novice champion last year.

nadster

Final Flight
There were promising Canadian junior ladies at both of the previous events.

If you're asking whether somebody is going to contend for a medal, then no, there isn't anybody like that in the junior ranks. But that's nothing new. Watching the junior ladies is more about seeing who's on track to be a credible senior in a couple of years, and by that standard I think both Schumacher and Bulawka acquitted themselves pretty decently.

Generally I tend to look for a general sense of power ( not necessarily having all the jumps or even the best jump technique at the time. Our best senior ladies have noticeably more power in their skating than the Russian or Japanese wonderkid seniors who just land all their triples and 3-3s at 13. In that regard we are doing OK.

I'm looking forward to seeing Aurora Cotop progress.

Although a podium would be a stretch, it's not out of reach.

She is a level above in development compared to the other Canadian Junior women.

She had a bit of a rough season last year as she adjusted to her growth, but Aurora's magic seemed back in the two national summer series events. Spending a summer with Ravi Wallia seems to have really helped.

I'm also hoping to see Amelia Orzel, Conrad's younger sister, get her first JGP. She was Novice champion last year.

I would love to see Cotop medal on the JGP this year but I expect with Ravi reworking her technique to take one step backwards ( jumpwise at least ) to go 2 steps forward. He already has her skating with more power.

I hope that as many ladies as possible get JGP experience so that we have the longest possible shortlist for JW. I would also like to see our top junior ladies ( who are old enough and competing senior at nationals this year ) get a senior B.

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
So who’s getting the TBD man slot?

Nam or Nic
It’s possible that Skate Canada was hoping Nam would get a second spot via the replacement list, but assuming that doesn’t happen I think the summer competition results strongly favour him getting the TBD slot.

Ziotic

Medalist
It’s possible that Skate Canada was hoping Nam would get a second spot via the replacement list, but assuming that doesn’t happen I think the summer competition results strongly favour him getting the TBD slot.

I agree, I’m sure that was the hope, but time is slowly running out. Also it puts him b2b.

What place will it leave Nic on the replacement list once Nam has 2 spots.

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
The JGP Slovenia assignments are out. Conrad is going, which we already knew, as well as Eric Liu to round out the men’s roster.

Aurora, after vanishing from the early event listings, returns to take what I understand is our final ladies’ spot in the JGP.

In dance, the similarly-returned Fisher/Malette-Paquette take one spot, while D’Alessandro/Waddell become the third team to get a second event, after L/L (obviously) and McIsaac/Circelli (who somehow got two events right off the bat, despite no track record; I’d be interested to know the reasoning there).

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
McIsaac/Circelli (who somehow got two events right off the bat, despite no track record; I’d be interested to know the reasoning there).

McIsaac & Circelli are probably just place holders. I doubt Skate Canada has decided who will get that second spot in Slovenia yet. They have to name someone, and they are probably waiting to see how a number of the junior dance teams score before deciding officially.

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Strangely, to follow up, D'Alessandro/Waddell are now listed for JGP Canada too, even though they were also just listed for the just-announced JGP Slovenia. Since Canada is closer, I guess they're being shifted forward?

At present, the ice dance listings are:

Slovakia - Fabbri/Ayer (1), Bashynska/Beaumont (1)
Austria - Lajoie/Lagha (1), D'Alessandro/Waddell (1)
Lithuania - Galiyanova/Lochhead (1), Stairs/Graham (1)
Canada - Lajoie/Lagha (2), D'Alessandro/Waddell (2), Makita/Gunara (1)
Czech Republic - Bronsard/Bouaraguia (1), McIsaac/Circelli (1)
Slovenia - D'Alessandro/Waddell (3?), Fisher/Malette-Paquette (1)

Ice Dance's placeholder theory would seem to apply to the impossible third placement in Slovenia, so if so there are three slots left to be allotted, between the Slovene one and the two in Armenia.

BillNeal

You Know I'm a FS Fan...
Record Breaker
Amelia BOONE / Malcolm KOWAN are listed as substitutes in the three later events but have no JGP assignments yet. The thing is they have gotten lower scores at Minto and BC Summerskate than dancers that are not listed. I'm wondering why the Behiels, for example, who beat them at both events are not listed as substitutes.