2018-19 Canadian figure skating | Page 58 | Golden Skate

2018-19 Canadian figure skating

Haleth

On the Ice
Strangely, to follow up, D'Alessandro/Waddell are now listed for JGP Canada too, even though they were also just listed for the just-announced JGP Slovenia. Since Canada is closer, I guess they're being shifted forward?

At present, the ice dance listings are:

Slovakia - Fabbri/Ayer (1), Bashynska/Beaumont (1)
Austria - Lajoie/Lagha (1), D'Alessandro/Waddell (1)
Lithuania - Galiyanova/Lochhead (1), Stairs/Graham (1)
Canada - Lajoie/Lagha (2), D'Alessandro/Waddell (2), Makita/Gunara (1)
Czech Republic - Bronsard/Bouaraguia (1), McIsaac/Circelli (1)
Slovenia - D'Alessandro/Waddell (3?), Fisher/Malette-Paquette (1)

Ice Dance's placeholder theory would seem to apply to the impossible third placement in Slovenia, so if so there are three slots left to be allotted, between the Slovene one and the two in Armenia.

I don't know how bad Corey's injury is, but once it was clear he could not do Canada, I can see why they moved Nat and Bruce to that spot. It isn't clear if Corey is out both in singles and ice dance for the rest of the JGP, or if he and Olivia might make it to at least one later event.

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Amelia BOONE / Malcolm KOWAN are listed as substitutes in the three later events but have no JGP assignments yet. The thing is they have gotten lower scores at Minto and BC Summerskate than dancers that are not listed. I'm wondering why the Behiels, for example, who beat them at both events are not listed as substitutes.
Boone/Kowan are NextGen, for whatever reason (their summer performances really don't warrant such a designation, from what I've seen), so I'm guessing that's why they're on the substitute list. At this point, though, I suspect they aren't in line for any assignments.

TGee

Record Breaker
Boone/Kowan are NextGen, for whatever reason (their summer performances really don't warrant such a designation, from what I've seen), so I'm guessing that's why they're on the substitute list. At this point, though, I suspect they aren't in line for any assignments.
Boone/Kowan must have met the NextGen total score and element requirements last season.

Many of the teams are new (even if they were with other partners last season). As new teams, they had to meet the NextGen / international assignment criteria this summer, but it's not a general requirement.

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
I don't know how bad Corey's injury is, but once it was clear he could not do Canada, I can see why they moved Nat and Bruce to that spot. It isn't clear if Corey is out both in singles and ice dance for the rest of the JGP, or if he and Olivia might make it to at least one later event.

Yes, I don't think it's clear either. If I remember correctly, he competed this summer in dance when not competing in singles so that might imply he could be fine for dance. But then McIsaac & Circelli withdrew from a later summer event. I don't know when the injury occurred. Anyway, if it was this summer, the evidence could point either way.

In any case, Stairs & Graham, Makita & Gunara, Galiyanova & Lochhead, Bronsard & Bouaraguia, McIsaac & Circelli, Fabbri & Ayer--all new to the JGP in their current form this season. (Bashynska & Beaumont could have been in the mix as well, but I think too many points left on the table in their first JGP for them to make the second-event argument). There's been quite a bit of turnover at the top internationally--with three JGP medalists moving up to seniors, another two of the top ten not competing, three other JGP medalists having split--so this is a good year for teams to get their names in the mix. And there are also a bunch of teams with credentials--Lagouge & Rahier, The Greens, Kazakova & Reviya, Fisher & Mallette-Paquette--who seem to have been pushed back as late as possible on the JGP in the hope of being ready. It's possible some of those teams don't make it back. And it's possible they do. Either way, there's quite a bit of opportunity for some of these less experienced Canadian teams to make a splash during the first half of the season. And they've very little competitive record against each other. So it will be interesting to see who comes out ahead with the higher placements/scores in international competition here during the first half of the JGP. It's also quite possible those final few events could be quite deep.

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Fabbri/Ayer have taken the Slovenia slot that D’Alessandro/Waddell obviously weren’t going to be using.

Happy for them, as it would have been demoralizing not to get another assignment after the fall in Bratislava.

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
ermmmm let's have the canadian team leave lithuania asap
Hey, the ice dancers performed solidly, and I don't think Emily could be said to have underperformed relative to whatever expectations people had.

Whatever setup the TCC has with Joseph is clearly not working, and this is especially jarring because he wasn't a skater who came to them with any particularly glaring issues that needed to be fixed -- rather, this was about building on a solid foundation.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Hey, the ice dancers performed solidly, and I don't think Emily could be said to have underperformed relative to whatever expectations people had.

Whatever setup the TCC has with Joseph is clearly not working, and this is especially jarring because he wasn't a skater who came to them with any particularly glaring issues that needed to be fixed -- rather, this was about building on a solid foundation.

our ice dancers were a bit neglected score wise....

emily reminds me of mira leung... so i cannot watch her.

and i have said enough about my mini-chiddy....

this is why i had vowed not to get invested in junior...now with conrad and mini-chiddy, lala and d'awa... i am screwed....

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Maybe they weren't give the most generous scoring compared to some other events, but nothing I'd complain about. In terms of ordinals I was fine with where they were placed.

i will agree with that... i am just a bit blown away by one team's score in particular because it is higher than winners from previous events.... anyways.. who cares about what i think :) we all know who was on the TP

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
i will agree with that... i am just a bit blown away by one team's score in particular because it is higher than winners from previous events.... anyways.. who cares about what i think :) we all know who was on the TP
The scoring for the top teams in Kaunas definitely did seem huge compared to other events, otherwise Sofia/Igor and Marjorie/Zach are no doubt wondering how such a huge march got stolen on them over the summer.

BillNeal

You Know I'm a FS Fan...
Record Breaker

On the bright side Irina got a level 4 on her part of the one foot step sequence. I don't think they gave out level 4s on that element in the other events. I wasn't particularly fond of the team who got the highest PCS (not sure if you are referring to the same team). The second team I loved their FD and I think was relatively underscored versus the first team. Scores shouldn't be compared across competitions. When the winners face off at JGPF, those scores would be relatively more accurate.

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
On the bright side Irina got a level 4 on her part of the one foot step sequence. I don't think they gave out level 4s on that element in the other events. I wasn't particularly fond of the team who got the highest PCS (not sure if you are referring to the same team). The second team I loved their FD and I think was relatively underscored versus the first team. Scores shouldn't be compared across competitions.
I mean, in theory you should be able to, but in practice it's of limited use, particularly under the new rules when judges are still getting used to the system.

That's why I'm going to be looking at the next competitions with interest, because most of the heavies have already gone at least once, and now we're going to see matchups between teams that placed on the podium in different events. JGP Slovenia, especially, will feature the Austria gold medalists and the silver medalists from Slovakia and Lithuania.

mrrice

Record Breaker
I was shocked to see how low Joseph Phan finished in his JGP event. Is he injured, or did he just have a bad day?

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I was shocked to see how low Joseph Phan finished in his JGP event. Is he injured, or did he just have a bad day?
He’s not injured. “Bad day” would be the optimistic conclusion. He’s frankly been looking off his game ever since he moved to the TCC, bar a good short program at Championnats where he still looked nervous as hell during it. Which is why some of us have been saying that however Orser is structuring his current training setup, it’s not working, because he’s performing well below even his iffier skates from last year.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States

If you are referring to Technical Controller Shawn Rettstatt (USA), he wouldn't have much influence on the scoring unless the TS (Grincova-SVK) and ATS (Chait-Moracci-ISR) disagreed on an issue. Both are very experienced callers (Grincova was the TS at the Olympics and we all know who Chait is) and are known to be very stringent in their calls.

As for the judges, all of the judges placed the top two skaters 1 and 2. Both teams got the majority of their GOEs in the 3s and 4s.