2018-19 Canadian figure skating | Page 60 | Golden Skate

2018-19 Canadian figure skating

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I note that Aurora Cotop is listed, although she missed the photo.

Sounds as though she's switching to senior this winter.

And her National Team bio formalizes that Ravi Wallia is now coaching her in Edmonton, although her ISU bio does not yet reflect this.
I’m guessing they’re going to send Aurora to Golden Spin after the JGP.

Ziotic

Medalist
Slovenia, as in the jgp Ljubljana cup? Is that next week?
Did she move to Edmonton and switch coaches recently or something?

She switched this summer.

My bet is that with Keatlyn out all season this may be a golden opportunity to snag a 4CC and worlds berth while Canada has three since its highly unlikely they will keep them.

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Slovenia, as in the jgp Ljubljana cup? Is that next week?
First week of October.

She switched this summer.

My bet is that with Keatlyn out all season this may be a golden opportunity to snag a 4CC and worlds berth while Canada has three since its highly unlikely they will keep them.
From what I understand, the national team funding really helped.

Kaetlyn being absent for at least the year definitely creates an opening, and beyond that, it’s the start of a new cycle. If Aurora is envisioning herself in Beijing in four years, no time like the present to start making moves to get there. And frankly, Aurora could easily be the national silver medalist this year if she can deliver the tech she already has.

It’s interesting that between Aurora and Angela Wang there’s now a bit more of a community of ladies at the Ice Palace. Could be a nice dynamic if Kaetlyn decides to come back next season.

TGee

Record Breaker
It’s interesting that between Aurora and Angela Wang there’s now a bit more of a community of ladies at the Ice Palace. Could be a nice dynamic if Kaetlyn decides to come back next season.

Angela Wang...as in the US skater?

Her recently updated ISU bio has her with Christy Krall in Colorado Springs...

But then Aurora's was updated on Monday and still show her with Jonathan Mills in Thornhill.

It would be great if the Ice Palace became a supportive place for a few of the ladies. I can very much see Ravi making it a positive atmosphere rather than a competitive one.

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Hi folks,

Just a friendly blanket reminder :pray:

Please keep ALL competition chat in the Competition forums until the entire event is over. This includes scores, starting orders, elements, GOES, links to videos, etc.

You may discuss a skater's performance in their individual Fan Fest folder as long as you are not comparing them to other skaters or posting general event info until the competition is over.

Thanks for you understanding and for supporting Golden Skate!

believed

On the Ice
Congratulations to Nam on the gold medal at US Classic!

And to Marjorie and Zach for their gold medal at JGP Canada and for qualifying to the JGPF!

bunnybarista

If I risk it all, could you break my fall?~
On the Ice
And to Marjorie and Zach for their gold medal at JGP Canada and for qualifying to the JGPF!

YES! I nearly choked up watching their performance last night - I'm so glad they got the full technical score this time. Their free dance has the highest score of any of the JGP winners so far this season! A well-deserved win for Marjorie and Zach. :love:

TGee

Record Breaker
YES! I nearly choked up watching their performance last night - I'm so glad they got the full technical score this time. Their free dance has the highest score of any of the JGP winners so far this season! A well-deserved win for Marjorie and Zach. :love:
And I'd like to note that it was a challenging tech panel. You could see the relief while the were looking at the live scoring on the monitor.

Sounds as though ISU had to reach to some of its senior people to get this event covered given the late change of host country and venue.

siberia82

Addicted to Canadian men's singles skating
Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Our guys had a bit of a rough time today in Richmond :sad4: , but a highlight for me was Iliya Kovler's SP ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cyFNMjfxqYw ). :luv17: As I've mentioned in the competition thread, he wholly obliterated his previous Personal Best SP score by over 30 points (72.16 vs. 41.96), and he probably didn't expect that he'd finish in 3rd place in that segment. There were many who had never seen him skate before (until now, I may have been his sole fan on this forum), and his strong SP performance did garner him some notice. I hope that despite his disappointment with his FS, this competition has showed him that he has the potential to be among the best junior-level men's singles skaters in the world, and he just needs to learn how to handle the pressure better.

Speaking of pressure, I speculated that the heavy expectations of the hometown crowd may have caused Stephen and Iliya to crumble. :(

TGee

Record Breaker
I'm also a fan of Iliya's.

He's made huge strides since last season. His best placement in his first JGP season was 17th.

He really benefited from last season's experience, as I'm sure he will from this one.

And he has been assigned JGP Armenia. I'm hoping we'll see him come back strongly there.

siberia82

Addicted to Canadian men's singles skating
Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I'm also a fan of Iliya's.

It's good to know that I'm not alone! :ghug: Just like with our other "obscure" favourite, Matthew Markell, Iliya doesn't have his own Fan Fest, so it's a bit hard to tell who else is paying close attention to his career.

Btw, in case anyone was wondering why we haven't seen Matt during the National Summer Series, he had informed me in late July (so this was shortly before Minto) that he was recovering from a stress fracture, and he had only recently began training again at that point.

He's made huge strides since last season. His best placement in his first JGP season was 17th.

He really benefited from last season's experience, as I'm sure he will from this one.

There's no doubt that Iliya has improved by leaps and bounds. I made sure to bring up in the competition thread that the 3A is a new addition to his repertoire. While it's somewhat difficult to judge from a 2-dimensional screen, he looks taller and bigger compared to what I recall from seeing him compete in person at the 2017-2018 SC Challenge, and I find that he skates with more power now.

And he has been assigned JGP Armenia. I'm hoping we'll see him come back strongly there.

Me too! :hap10:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
you are so not alone Siberia.... Ilyia has many fans. They just don't all hang out here ;)

regarding fan fests for Canadian athletes, Patrick's was the only one that was very active. V/M and K.O. have a decent following but nothing like other Worlds Champions..
D/R : it's pretty much a monologue by yours truly... so Canadian juniors rarely get their own ;)

lanceupper1114

On the Ice
I see that Gabby Daleman is at it again; I don't understand why she insists on wearing those long fake nails, it only draws attention to her non-lyrical lobster-claw hands in her performances. I am glad that she's going for higher BV with her new combos.

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
As is usually the case, the weekend had some good results and some disappointing ones. Marjorie and Zach, obviously had things go about as well as they could have hoped in Richmond. While there are some other people with shots, I wouldn't be surprised if Canadian representation at the Final is one dance team apiece in senior and junior (Piper/Paul and Marjorie/Zach).

Though based on the events of this weekend, Nam, of all people, conceivably has a path to the Final, which would be coming second at Skate America and Skate Canada, both of which are within his demonstrated capacity (though hopefully for his own sake, Vincent's recovery from injury will be further along by Skate America).

Stephen, I'm sure, is feeling very disappointed right now, but there are better days ahead, and that gold from Bratislava is still a huge achievement. As I said in the competition thread, it's conceivable he'll be the first alternate for the Final, but otherwise, he's got time to focus on the second half of the season and do great things at nationals and Junior Worlds.

Sales and Wamsteeker had a really narrow miss (less than half a point) at the U.S. Classic, so good for them (though I'm sure they're also disappointed, obviously).

Gabby, rough day at the office.