2018-19 Canadian figure skating | Page 62 | Golden Skate

2018-19 Canadian figure skating

lavoix

Match Penalty
Nobody ever said anything about skipping the whole season, just the Grand Prix series

Well that's just great

Soucisse/Firrus were also fantastic, loved their rhythm dance - again very unique because I'm so sick of hearing the same stupid tango pieces.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I didn't notice anyone discussing competitions or results, only programs. Are we not allowed to discuss programs any more?

this is my own personal rule ;) i don't post in here from Thursday until Sunday after events.. that way I am sure i am not in trouble... i guess many to do the same since this thread is super quiet lately....

TGee

Record Breaker
Actually, they are skating their programs, rather than exhibition pieces during the Thank You tour.

Kaitlyn has said that they believe that doing them for an audience more than once a week will be, in its own way, an onerous preparation for Nationals, 4CC and World's.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Actually, they are skating their programs, rather than exhibition pieces during the Thank You tour.

Kaitlyn has said that they believe that doing them for an audience more than once a week will be, in its own way, an onerous preparation for Nationals, 4CC and World's.

i feel like going to quebec city now... because of course, that's the only place in the whole province they are doing the show... a few missed opportunities for sure for quebecois to see this show.. and for the crew to visit awesome along the river towns... but yeah... apparently joannie will be performing in quebec city.... gosh if i had a clone... to go to work while i enjoy figure skating

TGee

Record Breaker

BillNeal

You Know I'm a FS Fan...
Record Breaker
Back from ACI and I have collected my thoughts. I watched many good/great programs there from a diverse field of Canadian and International skaters. A summary of what stood out for me from my recollections of the performances of our CAN skaters:

Weaver/Poje: I am a big fan of them and they were the skaters that really motivated me to go to ACI to see them live. They exceeded my expectations with their tango and their FD moved me in a way that I haven't been moved by a program in years (reposting my post from their Edge thread):

I was left speechless for a bit of time after seeing W/P's free dance today. As I mentioned in the competition thread, their RD was spellbinding. However, I don't think I have felt such raw emotions from watching a program in quite a while, as I did today with their FD. I haven't watched the archived video yet(a bit too soon for me) but I suspect that the full impact of this dance especially can only be felt as a member of the audience.

Camerlango and W/P created something very special. They incorporated beautiful mirroring choreography in their one foot step sequence. The straight line lift was ethreal, as if Kaitlyn was looking up to the heavens. Great flow in the diagonal step sequence. Twizzles were somewhat slow but well synchronized and they seemed more confident doing them. I liked the sense of unity they created with their hands intertwined in the spin. Seamless choreographic elements and a fitting statuesque closing lift. The audience in the arena gave them a standing ovation and I think quite a few of us were deeply touched.

I felt privileged to get a chance to see them skate live for the first time and I'm glad that they will present these two beautiful dances to many more when they go on the Thank You Canada Tour. Overall, they looked very strong and seemed to have a renewed sense of purpose.

Soucisse/Firus: They showed good speed and command across the ice. At first, I wasn't sold on the music choice for their tango but I warmed up to it after seeing it live. They relate to each other well and she especially stood out for me in both programs. What I appreciated about them were their quick changes in hold and also their crisp entries and exits to their elements.

Matte/Ferland: They are a developing team and need a lot of improvement in many areas which will come with time skating with each other. I did enjoy their SP and he especially had a lot of fun with their program. They looked quite happy to get the international experience.

Moore-Towers/Marinaro: They put out a strong SP with good confidence. They were very shaky and looked tired in their FS. Their lifts looked laboured to me. I admired their determination to land their 3STh after the falls/mistakes on the previous 3 jump elements.

Alicia Pineault: I haven't seen Alicia before so she was a pleasant surprise for me, especially her free. She is developing her technical content but she does have a beautiful opening triple lutz with a clear outside edge and good extension on the landing. For the most part, she looked confident, especially in the first half where she nailed one jump after another. She is an engaging performer, connects with the audience, and I believe has a lot potential.

Kevin Reynolds: I enjoyed the new direction he took with his music choices. The step sequence in the SP was a highlight. However, Kevin had quite a few problems with his two-foot landings/touchdowns with his free foot. They were less noticeable in the SP (although we sat in another part of the rink for the FS). He was very disappointed once he heard his FS score and walked off almost immediately. Hopefully, he and Joanne can work out some of his jump issues before SA.

Bennet Toman: I really enjoyed his FS. He showed good ice coverage, flow, and the music compliments his program well. His opening quads needs work but I'm glad he continues to attempt them in competition to increase their potential success rates. He has a very nicely centered flying sit spin. His triple axels are a beauty, especially his 3A+3T, securely landed right in front of us. His choreo sequence is much improved in the positions held and in his projection. It really showed that he enjoyed skating for the hometown crowd. He was very happy with his score and had good support from his friends and family.

Roman Sadovsky: I haven't followed Roman much since his Les Mis FS so I was impressed with the attack and determination he showed with such a strong opening to land those two quads. He was obviously very happy to be on the podium and had some funny interactions with Hanyu when they were having their pictures taken on the ice after the victory ceremony. Congrats on the bronze!

Overall a strong showing for our Canadian skaters at ACI :)

siberia82

Addicted to Canadian men's singles skating
Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Roman is soooo tall and quite built now.

He was almost a head taller than Jun and Hanyu.

Ziotic, you've already read my comments about Roman's physique in his Fan Fest, so you can ignore this post, but I'll repeat myself here for those who don't hang out there and who don't have access to the competition thread.

Roman is 6'1" according to his National Team bio, or 6' 1/2" according to his ISU bio. He looks so much more grown-up and mature compared to last season, and you can see that in his skating at ACI. I was thinking during his SP practice that his torso seemed bigger and more muscular, and he appears to be stronger now.

Now that he looks more like a man and less like a teenager when he skates, is it just me, or does he appear more Jeff Buttle-like (albeit taller)? My mind exclaimed the whole time while he performed his SP, "Goodness gracious, he reminds me even more of Jeff than before! How is this possible?!" :jaw:

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
It's interesting how the men's discipline was kind of in hibernation in Canada in the 2014-2018 quadrennial (Patrick's too-rare flashes of late career brilliance notwithstanding) even while the other disciplines all were in full bloom, but going into the new cycle men's is back at the forefront (alongside dance, which seems to be evergreen).

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
It's interesting how the men's discipline was kind of in hibernation in Canada in the 2014-2018 quadrennial (Patrick's too-rare flashes of late career brilliance notwithstanding) even while the other disciplines all were in full bloom, but going into the new cycle men's is back at the forefront (alongside dance, which seems to be evergreen).

I find Canadian Men's field very diverse and inspiring, even with now retired skaters like Elladj or Liam Firus - and now I am happy to see quite few skaters getting more recognition and results in competition, senior and junior ones. I am happy that Kevin continues, that Nam is doing well, that Nic has Depeche Mode program, Keegan is challenging himself and has that uber-charming SP, that there is Roman, Conrad, Joseph, Stephen...

siberia82

Addicted to Canadian men's singles skating
Record Breaker
Country
Canada

As I've said before, it's definitely not doom and gloom for the Canadian guys, as others on this forum have predicted at the end of last season. While we may still be in a "drought" for some time, it's nonetheless a very exciting time to be a fan of the men's discipline, and I consider it to be a great adventure in itself just to follow their progress. :hap10:

I find Canadian Men's field very diverse and inspiring, even with now retired skaters like Elladj or Liam Firus - and now I am happy to see quite few skaters getting more recognition and results in competition, senior and junior ones. I am happy that Kevin continues, that Nam is doing well, that Nic has Depeche Mode program, Keegan is challenging himself and has that uber-charming SP, that there is Roman, Conrad, Joseph, Stephen...

NoNameFace, it's wonderful when a non-Canadian notices the talent and "eclectic" nature of our current men's field. :) You've listed eight skaters; they all have the potential to be national champions, and there are only five spots on the National Team. Bennet Toman (he finished 6th at ACI, two spots ahead of Reynolds), who normally isn't part of the "Who will be the Next One?" discussion, had said in his post-LP interview that his goal this season is to make the National Team, so he may potentially spoil someone else's chance of making the Top 5. The 2019 Nationals is going to be a blood bath... :eek:

Perhaps what will happen for the next several years is that we won't necessarily have a big super-star like Patrick was, and these eight guys (and possibly Iliya Kovler in the future) will be constantly scrambling for the Canadian crown. The unpredictability will keep me on the edge of my seat. :popcorn:

sheetz

Record Breaker
Roman is soooo tall and quite built now.

He was almost a head taller than Jun and Hanyu.

I hadn't seen Roman in awhile and he looks like a pairs skater now! Very impressed with his progress. Canada has some of the tallest men: Roman, Conrad, Nic, Nam...and then there's Keegan. LOL

TGee

Record Breaker
Iliya likely has a couple more seasons on the Junior Grand Prix to take advantage of its learning opportunities as he hits peak growth.

And with the help of NextGen funding, there are supports in place to make staying Junior viable.

But I bet he'll be competing domestically as a senior sooner than that.

Just to put that extra bit of pressure on those a bit older than him and Stephen.