2018-19 Canadian figure skating | Page 64 | Golden Skate

2018-19 Canadian figure skating

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
In a sense, the expectations are off Joseph now since his Final prospects are nil. Though conversely, there’s now pressure (mainly from himself, I expect) to do better this time.

A video clip of Piper and Paul’s practice session (their RD).

Like I had this 'luminous', elegant feel about WeaPo RD at ACI, with that subtle yet decisive touch building, this snipped makes me feel that PSquared RD will be vibrant and nuanced with different shades of movement character and expression. The way they look at each other and their frame in holds, even from this little piece, is just amazing. Cannot wait for the full thing!

siberia82

Addicted to Canadian men's singles skating
Record Breaker
Country
Canada
In case there's at least one other person besides me and TGee who follows Matthew Markell's career, I've just learned from him that he is competing as a senior this season. I know that sounds obvious because he already has the national junior title, but I hadn't received any official confirmation about this until now.

TGee

Record Breaker
In case there's at least one other person besides me and TGee who follows Matthew Markell's career, I've just learned from him that he is competing as a senior this season. I know that sounds obvious because he already has the national junior title, but I hadn't received any official confirmation about this until now.
That would be senior domestically. Matthew missed the JGPs due to injury, but we'd all welcome seeing him have a junior international assignment.

By the way, he's entered as a senior for two upcoming events in the Skate Ontario sectional series: SO Autumnskate and SO Oktoberfest.

I don't see livestream indicated for either of these unfortunately, but we should get a sense of how he's progressing.

BillNeal

You Know I'm a FS Fan...
Record Breaker
A little late to the men's conversation but I just realized that I was lucky enough to see all 5 of the top senior men live this season across two competitions: Nam, Keegan, Roman, Kevin, and Bennet (twice!). Among them, I do have my favourites for those World spots but I can now appreciate more of their unique skillsets.

And I have become a fan of Bennet this season so you are not alone, 4EC. I admire that he keeps on attempting the two quads in every competition this season and almost had it on the 4S at ACI, except he slipped on the landing edge. Spins are very well-centred especially the sit. He already showed better flow and greater feel for the music while holding the positions longer (in the ChSq especially). Great to see how satisfied he was with his total score and that he showed his best in front of his friends and family there.

siberia82

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
That would be senior domestically. Matthew missed the JGPs due to injury, but we'd all welcome seeing him have a junior international assignment.

Thanks for clarifying; he didn't specify to me that it was only at the national level. I sincerely hope he gets the chance to compete internationally later this season.

By the way, he's entered as a senior for two upcoming events in the Skate Ontario sectional series: SO Autumnskate and SO Oktoberfest.

Matt did tell me about these two competitions, but it slipped my mind to mention them, so I'm glad that you brought them up. Post-injury, he has been training for only two months now.

I don't see livestream indicated for either of these unfortunately, but we should get a sense of how he's progressing.

Bummer. :eek:hwell: I was hoping we could see his new free skate, as his new SP is exquisite. As you know, I consider his "To Build a Home" LP from last season to be one of the most beautiful :love: among junior-level male skaters: https://vimeo.com/256297993

siberia82

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
For those of you who don't watch Roman's vlogs or hang out in his Fan Fest, you may not be aware that he stars in a short film entitled Attainment; here's a 1-second clip ( https://vimeo.com/267263271 ) and a 7-second one ( https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x6ud6fo ).

To the best of my knowledge, it debuted at the 2018 edition of the Ryerson University Film Festival on May 4th ( https://www.ryersonuniversityfilmfestival.ca/attainment/ ): A haunting story of determination and fulfillment, told through the lens of a world-class figure skater's national championship skate, which recalls his life journey towards greatness.

It was also screened at the Toronto Youth Shorts Festival on Sep. 22nd ( https://www.torontoyouthshorts.ca/searching-for-belonging.html ), which is coincidentally the same day that Roman won his ACI bronze medal. The synopsis is listed as: A world-class figure skater dreams of greatness while struggling to maintain his mental and physical health.

I also found a more detailed summary for Attainment here: https://cinemaaxis.com/2018/09/20/toronto-youth-shorts-2018-sneak-peek/

A better example of the importance of trusting in the audience is Michael Boroda's Attainment. Very little is explained in the film, there is not even an ounce of dialogue, but the film manages to pack an emotional punch. The story focuses on a figure skater who dreams of being the best, but his reality tells a different story. Juxtaposing the skater's recollections of preparing for a competition with his declining physical condition, Boroda paints an intriguing portrait of a man not willing to mentally give up on his dreams even when his body makes those aspirations seemingly unattainable.

siberia82

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Sorry for the delay, but I've uploaded a few more performances from ACI that I've cut from Skate Canada's archived livestream:

Carolane Soucisse & Shane Firus ACI RD (1080p): https://vimeo.com/292042893

Carolane Soucisse & Shane Firus ACI FD (1080p): https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x6uddco

Bennet Toman ACI SP (1080p): https://vimeo.com/292040211

Bennet Toman ACI LP + Post-LP Interview (1080p): https://vimeo.com/292259631

I've also added vids of Bennet on the Minto and GTSA competition threads.

Cascade

Spectator
If any of you havent watched Bronsard and Bouaragia (sp) can.jr dance team at ostava jgp free dance you should as they are fantastic !! A little Virtue and Moir in the making shes only 13 I believe, and coached by D &L team, im going back to watch it again!!

siberia82

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
If any of you havent watched Bronsard and Bouaragia (sp) can.jr dance team at ostava jgp free dance you should as they are fantastic !! A little Virtue and Moir in the making shes only 13 I believe, and coached by D &L team, im going back to watch it again!!

We're not allowed to discuss competitions that are ongoing.

CdnSkateWatcher

On the Ice

I remember when Matthew was this little guy running around arenas with the rest of the Ottawa-area crew from Gloucester, Minto etc - makes me feel old to see him now :( I miss seeing Chris Reekie on ice,myself, from that same era!

lavoix

Match Penalty
G/P were amazing at Nebelhorn, their rhythm dance is the most authentic tango, very unique style in their FD as well.

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Keegan and Piper & Paul had a very nice opening to their international seasons (Skate Canada's press release mistakenly claimed it was Piper and Paul's first-ever international win, though they've since corrected that).

Keegan only did one of the three quads in his free, but I'm guessing that he planned not to do the 4Lz, since he had a healthy lead and there wasn't any need to risk it. The second 4T was definitely a pop, though his program is designed to be Zayak-proof, so that didn't hurt, and he came close to his personal best from the Olympics in the free.

On the JGP, seems like the TCC crew has been able to turn things around a bit for Joseph, which is encouraging. Not his best skate, by any means, but a podium finish is nothing to complain about -- though I'm sure he's thinking that but for those errors he could have had gold. Anyway, now he's got a few months before nationals to hopefully keep improving his confidence level. I also note that his program now only has one quad in it, so I'm guessing they decided to scale back the difficulty level a bit until they've got everything sorted out.

And then, of course, there's Emmy and Aissa, who had such a great international debut. The ISU's JGP Finals qualification chart now has them in Yerevan too, though the list for Yerevan doesn't reflect this, at least not yet. So they may have gotten a second assignment out of it.

Lester

Piper and Paul are made of magic dust and unicorns
Final Flight
Keegan and Piper & Paul had a very nice opening to their international seasons (Skate Canada's press release mistakenly claimed it was Piper and Paul's first-ever international win, though they've since corrected that).

I wonder if they corrected it after my comment on FB :DDD
ImeanhowcanyouforgettheybeattheShibsatNepelathisonetime!!!!

I can't wait to see their programs on the GP circuit.

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
KMT posted a training video on her Instagram Story of them doing the 2A-Eu-3S jump sequence, and it’s actually in pretty much perfect sync. So they can do it, I guess, but that always strikes me as needlessly complicated for competition.

TGee

Record Breaker
KMT posted a training video on her Instagram Story of them doing the 2A-Eu-3S jump sequence, and it’s actually in pretty much perfect sync. So they can do it, I guess, but that always strikes me as needlessly complicated for competition.
Pairs seems to be about finding what a team can excel at to up their BV.

If they can get a complex 3 jump combo down over the season, it be a needed edge.

siberia82

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
For those of you who remember these sort of details better than I do, who was the last senior-level Canadian skater/team before Roman's Schindler's List to use music from a movie about genocide for a competitive program? The only one that I can easily recall was Jeff Buttle's Ararat (for those of you who are unfamiliar with it, it's a 2002 Canadian film about the Armenian genocide), but that was over 10.5 years ago, so I may be forgetting someone in between.

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Post-Kaunas we were talking about Joseph's mindset, and I saw that he posted on Instagram about it a couple of days ago:

For me, this competition was a huge improvement from my other JGP in Lithuania, which was such a disaster 😂, and I’m so proud. I’ve got to say, moving to another city and changing coaches definitely was hard and took a toll on me, I’m starting to feel better now, but I know it’s for the best so I will be thankful and will appreciate every opportunity I will be given, so thanks @skate_canada for the opportunity and #teamcricket for your love and support. 😊❤️💪

lavoix

Match Penalty
What do people think of Soucisse/Firus prospects for this season/quad? I think they are a great pair, loved them since last season.

Who are Canada's top 3 ice dance pairs this season?

Their men/women/pairs program isn't looking as strong this season.