Can anyone beat a clean Zagitova? | Golden Skate

Can anyone beat a clean Zagitova?

Status
Not open for further replies.

russianfan

Match Penalty
So far she hasn't lost to anyone in her entire international career when she was clean. In the next season, if both she and Medvedeva will continue competing, it might be even closer between them, especially if ISU will change something with backloading. Meanwhile I hope that Alina will get better programs, better interpretation and her components may slightly grow. Your thoughts? :)

P.S. i know you like these threads :biggrin:

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
With the actual jump layouts of the top ladies, and as long as Zagitova gets 75 PCS, the answer is no.

Ziotic

Medalist
I think it really depend on the changes to the new judging system.

My guess is absolutely.

Especially a clean Kihira if she gets the same generous PCS boost that Alina received.

tomc100

Rinkside
Alexandra Trusova could beat her and has beaten her. When she completed 2 quads in her FS her score was higher than both Olympic medalists, Alina and Evgenia. There's a video on youtube where the commentators even mentioned it at the end.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Alexandra Trusova could beat her and has beaten her. When she completed 2 quads in her FS her score was higher than both Olympic medalists, Alina and Evgenia. There's a video on youtube where the commentators even mentioned it at the end.

TinyBoss !!!

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Among current seniors and with the current rules, Medvedeva could, at 100%. She almost did at the Olympics while operating at less than full strength.

bubblecherry

Final Flight
Even excluding PCS, she still beats everyone on TES alone, and by many points. At the Olympics team event in the long program, Mirai with her 3a and a clean long program only scored 73 TES while Alina scored 83 TES.

Unless someone backloaded clean programs with harder technical content, It'd be hard. Evgenia could, that's when the PCS game comes into play.

Ziotic

Medalist
Haha...so lame!! It’s like when telling on your stronger sibling to get what you want :rofl:

No, it’s more like critically evaluating the content that’s put on the ice.

Alina’s jumps are questionably rotated often and the +5 -5 GEO will HOPEFULLY better reward people with higher quality.

Also I strongly doubt she’s not going to struggle with two new programs.

Mind you she’ll probably use the same program as DQ, just different music playing in the background.

moriel

Record Breaker
So far she hasn't lost to anyone in her entire international career when she was clean. In the next season, if both she and Medvedeva will continue competing, it might be even closer between them, especially if ISU will change something with backloading. Meanwhile I hope that Alina will get better programs, better interpretation and her components may slightly grow. Your thoughts? :)

P.S. i know you like these threads :biggrin:

Once they turn seniors, my bet is on Kostornaia and Trusova.

moriel

Record Breaker
I think it really depend on the changes to the new judging system.

My guess is absolutely.

Especially a clean Kihira if she gets the same generous PCS boost that Alina received.

The main issue with Rika imho is that she is not consistent and makes much more mistakes than Alina. Don't think she will get the PCs boost.

Baron Vladimir

Record Breaker
Yeah, if she and Trusova competed head to head with that Trusova JW performance i have no doubt Trusova would beat her... Medvedeva could beat her, she already almost did... I think Caro maybe can if totally clean, im not that sure about Kaetlyn tho... From Japanese ladies only Kihira with 2 triple axels. I didnt see Wakabas 3A in competition, so...

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
I think anyone who can top her on base value can defeat her. As yume said, there isn't a lot of room above her PCS to beat her on artistry without being nearly as strong technically.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
A backloading Osmond would. Same goes for Wakaba with 3As. Trusova also has a good chance to beat her when she turns senior.

It will be interesting to see how her Worlds performance will affect her.

I think she's certainly beatable though because being clean isn't a sure thing for her.

millie

Medalist
Well, if the ISU goes ahead with the planned new changes, the playing ground would be different. They hope to bridge both the artistic sides and the technical sides of skating together which will include lowering the base value of jumps and even changing competition structures to require a technical program and an artistic program. If this happens there will be no backloading so therefore the playing field will be totally different. The answer to your question about can anyone beat a clean Zagitova, only time will tell.🙂

skatingfan200

Medalist
Yes, Medvedeva could beat her when she jumps like in the season 2016/2017 or she increases her BV.

But there are so many if for the next season (by both Alina and Zhenya)...we must wait at least for the test skate in Sochi.

For the rest of the senior ladies skaters, the answer is no.

r2d2

On the Ice
next season just Medvedeva. because difference in pcs points will be greater in Medvedeva's favor(isu wants to show that art matters not only jumps). and my wild prediction: Medvedeva and Zagitova won't skate clean. my third eye sees season without dominance.

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
I really hope that Alina will get a different sort of free program next season, so that a disaster like Worlds will be impossible. If she falls on the opening jump she still has some breathing room to get herself back into the program and won't rush into the later jumps because she has no time left. Well, and if she's clean then I think it's hard to beat her as she has the hardest combinations. A clean Rika might come close next season, but even then Alina is reigning Olympic Champion which means whatever she does, her PCS won't take that much of a hit while Rika is a newbie.

Status
Not open for further replies.