Daily Appreciation Thread | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Daily Appreciation Thread

Ballade88

On the Ice
Ha! When I watched Mao's Madame Butterfly (although introspection was not the word I used), I thought it's the most impressionist program I've seen. :

Yes! Impressionist would be the adjective I’d choose to describe many of her programs. The Chopin/Debussy music choices plus the soft, pastel colors of her costumes also enhanced that impression.

If one were to use an adjective to describe Mao’s main form of expression, it would be balletic. Her first love was ballet and she never really gave it up, as she incorporated the style and movements into her skating.

Impressionist! That's what I'm going to call Mao's style from now on.

I'm guessing Yuna would be more baroque?

lyndichee

Medalist
Yes! Impressionist would be the adjective I’d choose to describe many of her programs. The Chopin/Debussy music choices plus the soft, pastel colors of her costumes also enhanced that impression.

If one were to use an adjective to describe Mao’s main form of expression, it would be balletic. Her first love was ballet and she never really gave it up, as she incorporated the style and movements into her skating.

Ok now I'm sad because I miss her skating so much.

Daily appreciation for those who speak multiple languages and help translate news/articles/videos for everyone here.

If Mao is an impressionist, Yuna is an expressionist. Best time for being a FS fan (for me at least)!

Of course there is expressionism! I do think a few of Yuna's moments and poses in her Les Miserables reminded me more of a classical/renaissance-style painting, though, but her Kiss of the Vampire was an attempt at the avant garde.

Izabela

On the Ice
Of course there is expressionism! I do think a few of Yuna's moments and poses in her Les Miserables reminded me more of a classical/renaissance-style painting, though, but her Kiss of the Vampire was an attempt at the avant garde.

(At the expense of being off topic) I would still consider Les Mis as an expressionist dance because it focuses on the timbre of the characters’ emotion like the feeling of finally being free in Act I (for Valjean); the emotional longing of Eponine in Act II, and finally the reinvigorated emotional strength of the revolutionaries in the Final Act, which was superbly underline by Yuna’s transitional movement from sit position to rising up. Her used of upper body to demostrate the changing emotions of her characters is pretty reminder of expressionist (modern) art for me. Expressionism doesn’t necessarily have to be avant-garde, but in terms of dance and broadly of Modern Dance, there’s an emphasis on the connection between emotion and movement.

So yeah, although more knowledgeable folks can nitpick on this, we can say Mao and Yuna also follow Impressionism/ Expressionism. Another artistic side we can appreciate!

(At the expense of being off topic) I would still consider Les Mis as an expressionist dance because it focuses on the timbre of the characters’ emotion like the feeling of finally being free in Act I (for Valjean); the emotional longing of Eponine in Act II, and finally the reinvigorated emotional strength of the revolutionaries in the Final Act, which was superbly underline by Yuna’s transitional movement from sit position to rising up. Her used of upper body to demostrate the changing emotions of her characters is pretty reminder of expressionist (modern) art for me. Expressionism doesn’t necessarily have to be avant-garde, but in terms of dance and broadly of Modern Dance, there’s an emphasis on the connection between emotion and movement.

So yeah, although more knowledgeable folks can nitpick on this, we can say Mao and Yuna also follow Impressionism/ Expressionism. Another artistic side we can appreciate!

We could take it to her FF, or make a thread on "Art in Artistry".

rlopen

On the Ice
Thank you Yuna, for you artistic masterpieces Les Mis, Adios Nonino, and Nessun Dorma.
Thank you Mao, for your Bells of Moscow, Madama Butterfly, and your Olympics Rachmaninoff skate,
Thank you Angelina, for your 2016 Euros free skate. Even with bizarre music cuts you still made me fall in love with your skating.
Thank you Anastasia, for your stunning Romeo and Juliet program.
Thank you Laurine, for your original and daring programs.
Thank you Loena, for bursting onto the scene and becoming a sudden breath of fresh air.
Thank you Carolina, for many things but above all, your pure skating skills. (And your WONDERFUL Claire de Lune exhibition!)
Thank you Satoko, for your Planets skate.
Thank you Ashley, for your stunning Moulin Rouge at 2016 Worlds.
Thank you Anna, for your Scent of a Woman and Modigliani programs.

yude

Record Breaker
Thank you so much Yuzuru Hanyu, for revealing his will to compete in the next season after having long dramatic journey in his life.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I'm watching the Australian highlights package of the men's comp at Worlds, so it seems a suitable time to say thankyou, Max, for being such an incredible team player that you were able to push yourself to that height in just a week and a half of intense training. And thankyou for being a total sweetheart and the ultimate in sportsmanship for all these years, even when others weren't returning the favour.

Ravyn Rant

Totally 80s Dance Party!
Medalist
:)

Appreciation for this place and all people making it positive.

Appreciation for skaters who make us watch them, follow them and feel for them regardless of results.

Appreciation (personal) for being live at Milan Worlds which changed my perception for good and woke hunger to go frequently to skating events.

***Particular Daily Appreciation*** - for Piper Gilles and Paul Poirier, for making me fall in love with them more and more with each of character they are portraying, for making Disco SD program that brings smile on my face, for being great and original in their quirkiness, for signing my flag in Milan - for all the happiness!

I was just about to leave an appreciation post for Piper and Paul, so I thought I'd tack mine on to yours. Thank you, Piper and Paul for always being interesting to watch, and for introducing me to Yma Sumac's "Mambo" album this season. If you haven't heard it, it's available in its entirety on youtube and it's jaw-droppingly good. I'm so glad you got to meet them!

As always, thank you to Golden Skate and to all of you for making this sport so fun to watch.

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
Thanks to the innovators, creators and developers of INTERNET, I really mean it. Because of their efforts, I can freely talk about figure skating here right now and watch my favorite fs clips on YouTube any time that I want. Many of the very young fs fans (well, it makes me sound old, but I was lucky enough to get exposed with fs during my childhood) wouldn't imagine how much difficult to obtain video tapes of figure skating events once you missed before internet was widely used and its speed was fast enough to take fs clips in GREAT qualities. If you don't live in the world that figure skating was popular or your parents weren't particularly fans of the sport, your chance of watching competitions live was very slim and most kids were not allowed to watch TV more than 30 min. or 1 hour a day including Olympic seasons. ;)

I also really appreciate any individual uploader on YouTube/or any video platform whose generosity can allow viewers to enjoy and to keep up with fs events.

Fool

On the Ice
Country
South-Korea
My profound thank you to Michelle, Shizuka, Yuna and Mao (I know there were others before them but this is when I entered the sport as a fan) for showing this diaspora Korean girl that East Asian girls can be at the top of an international competition with no caveats about being "the best Asian" but simply just "the best". It sounds dramatic but I truly changed how I see the world... Up until I saw a short fluff piece on Norwegian TV about the pressure Michelle Kwan was facing as "the favorite" to win in Salt Lake City, I had never before seen an East Asian woman/girl being referred to that way. (I was like 9 or 10 at the time.)

This is just one aspect of my appreciation for them of course, it's so much more than "representation", their beauty grace power mental strength etc. too of course, but thought I would add in how they literally changed how I see myself in the world ;;;;

LadyB

Record Breaker
Today I'd like to thank the organisers of the Europeans in Moscow and all the people I met there. Three months on and I'm still thinking about it every day. Unforgettable event!!!

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
***Particular Daily Appreciation Post***

Thank You, Tessa/Scott, Patrick and Carolina for coming out of hiatus from competition, for producing few more seasons of magic to remember, for great programs to re-watch

:)