Volosozhar/Trankov or Savchenko/Massot? | Golden Skate

Volosozhar/Trankov or Savchenko/Massot?

yoloaxel

Record Breaker
V/T still hold the SP record, S/M have the other two. Who do you think was the ultimate perfect pair and why?

Personally, I prefer V/T: to me they had everything, and more chemistry than S/M. Their elements were so clean and high quality!

Yuzuruu

the silent assassin
Medalist
Oh that's a tough choice as I love both couples!
V/T have incredible chemistry and energy on ice, they always move me deeply with their performances. On the other hand there is Aljona "Perseverance" Savchenko and she is my ultimate role model and Queen :luv17:

Sorry, can't choose! :laugh:

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
Hi there. I would agree with you on the Chemistry bit if you had posted this in 2016 when S/M just started competing together, but I think they're currently very much there as well. For me S/M are the ultimate pair with their beautifully choreographed programmes which still are technically good as well. And terribly moving (well, to me). And that triple twist is to die for! I've never seen a more beautiful one than theirs. I thought they skated pretty clean at the Olympics (Free Skate) and Worlds (both short and free). I recall V/T did not in their Olympic Free (though obviously the mistakes were pretty small) although their Short was. Having said all that, I did like V/T a lot too. But you asked for the ultimate one, and that would be S/M at the moment.

Spirals for Miles

Anna Shcherbakova is my World Champion
Record Breaker
V/T I think
I haven't watched much of either as I'm more of a S/H and T/M fan but I think V/T were the ultimate pair, at least at that time

Lester

Piper and Paul are made of magic dust and unicorns
Final Flight
V/T never had amazing or iconic programs the way that S/M have.

The FS of this season has been brilliant both at Olympics and Worlds but purely as a program I think it's pretty average. It doesn't stand out as an unique piece or idea, it's more them than the program that I care about.

libecha

Rinkside
To me the chemistry thing is apples and oranges. V/T were romantically involved with each other off ice, S/M are in love with other people and seem to be firmly invested in keeping those lines separate to not damage their other relationships. There are necessarily boundaries that V/T didn’t have. They clearly get along very well but the chemistry is totally different.

Edit: Similarly the Shibutanis. Their chemistry has to examined differently because the typical romantic chemistry would be taboo and disgusting. It’s a very individualized standard.

andromache

Record Breaker
Hmmm idk, I think their SP to Masquerade is actually the pairs routine that stuck with me the most in the past 5-6 seasons!

It's a great SP, but IMO, it's not especially interesting or innovative. Just an example of really, amazingly excellent pairs skating. Kind of like T/M's Rachmaninoff SP this season. In my opinion, Aliona and Bruno were more interesting and innovative in terms of their programs.

I loved their Bollywood SP more than anything, tbh, but it was never executed to its potential.

Eh, for being in love off of the ice, I never thought V/T's on-ice chemistry was anything next-level, but I do think that was partially due to their material. Whose idea is it to take this beloved Russian pair who love each on and off of the ice and have them skate to Jesus Christ Superstar??

yoloaxel

Record Breaker
It's a great SP, but IMO, it's not especially interesting or innovative. Just an example of really, amazingly excellent pairs skating. Kind of like T/M's Rachmaninoff SP this season. In my opinion, Aliona and Bruno were more interesting and innovative in terms of their programs.

I loved their Bollywood SP more than anything, tbh, but it was never executed to its potential.

Eh, for being in love off of the ice, I never thought V/T's on-ice chemistry was anything next-level, but I do think that was partially due to their material. Whose idea is it to take this beloved Russian pair who love each on and off of the ice and have them skate to Jesus Christ Superstar??

Jesus Christ Superstar was definitely not their best program, I agree 100%. But I really liked their Swan Lake for example - I guess I'm into 'classic' programs ahah

Ares

Record Breaker
Country
Poland
Jesus Christ Superstar was definitely not their best program, I agree 100%. But I really liked their Swan Lake for example - I guess I'm into 'classic' programs ahah

Swan Like is my favourite of their Free Skate programs :)

But I used to come across criticisms towards it very often.

Baron Vladimir

Record Breaker
It's a great SP, but IMO, it's not especially interesting or innovative
Oh, but it was very innovative program tho cause its use of ice dance holds and movements in it. A lot of post Sochi pairs programmes were trying to incorporate that ("ice dance") concept too, including Savchenko/Massot.

QuadThrow

Medalist
V/T still hold the SP record, S/M have the other two.

V/T do only hold the world record 84.17 in pairs because the BV of pairs' SP was higher in 2014 than this year.

5RLi4 7.50
FiDs4 3.50
PCCoSp4 4.50

3Li4 4.50
FiDs4 3.50
PCCoSp4 4.50

The required elements change ever year. But there are only three different types of lifts but four typs of DS and two of spins.

With the BV of 2014 S/M's score would have been 85.58 in Milan last month (more GOE for the lift).

perspicuosity

Rinkside
At their best, it's a tough call. V/T 2014 were so clean and crisp and sharp. S/M 2018 were big and emotional and beautiful. If you put those two next to each other at the same time (to get rid of GOE inflation in the last quad and normalize the BVs), I honestly don't know who would win. As much as I love S/S, I thought V/T rightly trounced them in 2014.

OTOH, S/M 2016 (pre-prime) >>> V/T 2016 (post-prime). V/T 2013 > S/M 2017. It depends on the year.

joanne129

Rinkside
V/T! i found their elements cleaner than s/m in general. their twist and throws are the best i have even seen, the height and the flow! V/T also has more chemistry and more connected to each other on ice.

QuadThrow

Medalist

I honestly think that Jesus Christ Superstar was better than Black Swan. Love that music chioce. They had really tried to bring something different to the table. Black Swan looked too old fashioned.

hippomoomin

Record Breaker
I prefer S/M 's LP this season. It has very creative choreography. It is even more amazing since the performance moved me knowing that they are not a romantic couple.