Volosozhar/Trankov or Savchenko/Massot? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Volosozhar/Trankov or Savchenko/Massot?

VIETgrlTerifa

Record Breaker
I think it's an embarrassment of riches to compare these two teams and try to glean which one was better.

Merjan

On the Ice
Savchenko / Massot, because I feel something, a lot , when I watch them. With V/T I never got emotional. And I think S / M have great programs both in competitions and galas for the past couple of years.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
World records or scores are a joke. It depends on the judging o that day, vlues are different. My guess is S/M will win as they are the newer team still competing but I would pick V and T ans they have more longevity as a team.

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
I have nothing against V/T, but for me they are not comparable to S/M. So I prefer S/M and I preferred S/S. I don't think you need a romantic chemistry in pairs skating to be interesting. I don't see the difference, as it's more sport than theatre in my opinion. The need for a chemistry between partners is even less than in Ice Dance. So if I look at the Knierims or Tarasova/Morozov I don't get warm feelings of 'ah, they're a couple in love' at all. There is no difference to, say, Duhamel/Radford for me, and the same goes for V/T when they were competing. It didn't matter that they were a couple off ice.

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
Well, someday, I would definitely picture Szolkowy/Savchenko/Massot inducted in the World Hall of Fame just like Mishkutionok/Dmitriev/Kazakova. As for Volosozhar/Trankov? Nope. Their programs are so forgettable unfortunately despite their technical prowess only which I liked.

yoloaxel

Record Breaker
I think it's an embarrassment of riches to compare these two teams and try to glean which one was better.

Of course I love both and I think they both are incredible, but I thought it would be interesting to compare two couples which have achieved so much and broken so many records, just for the fun of it ;)

icedinn

wishing ksenia/kirill happiness 4ever
On the Ice
SavMass! and it's not even close for me. I knew they'd be special 4 years ago when they skated to "Happy" in ice shows. As for V/T... sorry but as technically skilled as they were, (And Tatiana was lovely on the ice) artistically they were dull dull dull. Stolbova/Klimov were and are better than them imo...

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I looked them both up on Wikipedia, and on paper their accomplishments are very similar. I really prefer Savchenko and Massot both technically and artistically.

I hope S/M know when to quit, because I don't want to see them going out the way V/T did. But I also hope that they are able to continue for a year or two more, with their hearts fully into it and Bruno's back feeling better.

mau

3Lz3Lo3Lo3Lo3Lo
On the Ice
I love V/T’s ‘Masquerade’ program, but S/M’s ‘La terre vue du ciel’ — for me — is the closest thing to art in skating.

koatcue

Medalist
Country
Russia
I loved V/T Jesus Superstar from SA (still watching it sometimes). Black Swan was quite dull in my opinion. I also loved their worlds 2013 long program. I think it's the epitome of pairs skating. I might be biased, but I prefer V/T to S/M, to put it short

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Savchenko needed 5 Olympics and a ton of luck (competitors getting mistakes) to win gold.

Another way to look at it Savchenko/Massot's record is just about equal to Volosovar/Trankov's. If you add in Savchenko's achievements with her Szolkowy, she's way, way ahead of every other pairs woman since Irina Rodnina retired 40 years ago in total number of worlds medals.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
V/T still hold the SP record, S/M have the other two. Who do you think was the ultimate perfect pair and why?

Personally, I prefer V/T: to me they had everything, and more chemistry than S/M. Their elements were so clean and high quality!

I loved the variety of programs for V/T, but S/M are more innovative in their actual skating and at least tried to attempt more difficult elements. V/T had very strong elements like their lift and twist but it was frustrating how overscored they were on some throws and how they didn't try to push the envelope technically the way S/K and T/M did (salchow/loop throw and SBS 3T/3S have been around a while). Their overall pairs skating quality though was wonderful and clean, and they had the chemistry.

I'm glad S/M though have the better total record because I truly think they're a better team. Nice elements and more creativity and when they're on they're breathtaking to watch.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Savchenko needed 5 Olympics and a ton of luck (competitors getting mistakes) to win gold.

That's a bit dismissive. I don't think you'd appreciate us trivializing V/T earning gold, only because were a sure shot since it was in Sochi... and were lucky the Germans made mistakes, and their next competitors did really low difficulty (sbs 2A). It also disregards how good S/M's Olympic FS was (which was way better and cleaner than JCS, IMO).

S/M deserved to win and yeah they were lucky in the sense that in spite of the doubled salchow in the SP they still won - but they were in a field that was way stronger than what V/T had to deal with, even with errors. The podium in PC were all above 230 and Stolbova/Klimov, silver medalists from Sochi, would have been 5th there.

Lota

Record Breaker
Love both teams and they're about equal in my book :luv17: When it comes to personal preference though, I would choose V/T.

I don't get how anyone can say that one team is vastly better than the other or that they're incomparable. I understand preferring one team to the other, people have different tastes, but both V/T and S/M are great technicians and emotional, expressive performers, and both teams had some memorable, engaging, interesting programs, so for me this is definitely a question of preference and not who is "better" :shrug:

Silvia451

Record Breaker
Country
Romania
For me it's Volosozhar/Trankov. Their Waltz masquerade SP is everything I want to see in pairs. But in 2-3 years Sui/Han may change my mind.;)

andromache

Record Breaker
Masquerade is as iconic as it can get imho.

But to be honest, I trade V/T, S/M and S/S for Kavaguti / Smirnov.

I love K/S and they had better programs than any of the other pairs by a mile, but their skating skills and element quality suffers a little in comparison. Small throws (albeit a quad) and weak twist.

Manfred though :love::love::love:.

(Other than B/S, Moskvina pairs have generally struggled with element quality/skating skills in comparison to their Russian rivals, and even B/S had a crashy twist.)