Patrick Chan Announces Retirement | Golden Skate

Patrick Chan Announces Retirement

Danny T

Medalist
CBC reports today that Patrick Chan has announced his retirement from competitive figure skating. (Link)

Chan was quoted, "It has given me memorable experiences and has taught me lessons I will carry throughout life. I have fulfilled my dreams and aspirations in competitive skating and it is now time to move on to new challenges and opportunities. I hope to have inspired many young skaters that with hard work, perseverance and dedication anything is possible."

Expected news, and looks like he will turn to coaching. I look forward to it.

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
Best of Luck to Patrick! He has been a constant joy to watch over the years with his
beautiful skating. Whatever path he chooses I am sure he will be successful.

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
CBC reports today that Patrik Chan has announced his retirement from competitive figure skating. (Link)

Chan was quoted, "It has given me memorable experiences and has taught me lessons I will carry throughout life. I have fulfilled my dreams and aspirations in competitive skating and it is now time to move on to new challenges and opportunities. I hope to have inspired many young skaters that with hard work, perseverance and dedication anything is possible."

Expected news, and looks like he will turn to coaching. I look forward to it.

And here it is. Goodbye beautiful skater... wish you all the best.

You deserve all the successes in the world and beyond... hope you make plenty of money and find happiness in what ever you do. You will always have a special place in my heart for the absolute peak of perfection you have managed to attain in this 'funny' sport of sort.

Best of Patrick Chan = Bests of men's figure skating ever.

FSLover17

On the Ice
Thank you Patrick for an amazing career filled with so many memorable moments! I wish him the best of luck in all future endeavours!

LadyB

Record Breaker
Thanks for everything, Patrick! I wouldn't call myself an outright fan, but nobody skated like him. It's been a joy to watch. He seems to be a very likeable young man. I wish him all the best with his future plans. :clapper:

Danny T

Medalist
I was under the impression he had already announced this during the Olympics.

I think it's more implied common knowledge with everyone? He strongly suggested PC will be his last event, but this would be an official announcement.

xeyra

Constant state
Record Breaker
His skating will be missed :sad21: but I wish him all the best for his future endeavours and all the happiness in the world.

rikaquegira

On the Ice
Not a surprise but still... :cry:
I hope he becomes a coach and passes on his beautiful skating to many youngsters.

noskates

Record Breaker
It makes me sad that I will probably never see this beautiful skater again. He has always embodied - to me - what a male figure skater should be. Forget the numerous quads - just smooth, beautiful stroking and music interpretation. Good luck to you Patrick.

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
A big thank you to Patrick and the best of luck to him in all his future endeavors. I am sure he will be successful in whatever field he chooses. Hopefully he will impart some of his knowledge to up and coming skaters.

likevelvet

#Bless this mess
On the Ice
Country
United-States
Thanks, Patrick. When I was at my lowest with skating, when I was at crossroads, he was always someone to watch and aspire to. He certainly did inspire this skater when she was young. His movement was always captivating. I hope he can fill his time from now on only with the stuff that's most fulfilling to him - I have no doubt he has many other interests that he's wanting to pursue. He deserves it, after all he's done for the sport.

cruzceleste

Record Breaker
Best wishes to him.

I thought he will made an announcement that he was going to open a figure skating school or something related, because there was so much expectations... but that was on me...

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Best wishes to him.

I thought he will made an announcement that he was going to open a figure skating school or something related, because there was so much expectations... but that was on me...
He said in one the articles linked above that work is underway on that.

Danibellerika

Medalist
Best of luck to Patrick in his future endeavors. I wasn't his biggest fan but I did appreciate him a lot more live. He certainly made his mark on the sport and I hope skaters value the importance of skating skills in the present and future. But this from CTV's article:

"If there are any regrets, it's that he played his cards too early before Sochi. Chan dominated men's skating for three years before those Olympics, and when he was the first to add two quadruple jumps to his long program, the rest of the world followed suit, and eventually took the quad brigade a step further. American Nathan Chen does six quads in his long program."

Correct me if I'm wrong, but weren't Plushy and Yags doing two since before 2002, and Tim Goebel was doing 3?

Sabrina

Record Breaker
This is among the most expected decisions. I think we all knew Patrick would retire. While the change of coach makes no sense now. He barely worked for a couple of months with Kaetlyn's coach, and now he quits. Whatever were his thoughts when he chose Walle to coach him, I only thought he might stay for a few competitions, nothing big. But I respect his decision, and I wish him all the best in his life. Thank you Patrick for all you did for Canada!