Patrick Chan Announces Retirement | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Patrick Chan Announces Retirement

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Sad day for the sport! Unexpected or not...he has touched so many people and will always be a shining example of what excellence on the ice looks like. A true competitor and showman. Oh that edgework! He will be missed but never forgotten.

-PChiddy 4ever :)

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
This is among the most expected decisions. I think we all knew Patrick would retire. While the change of coach makes no sense now. He barely worked for a couple of months with Kaetlyn's coach, and now he quits. Whatever were his thoughts when he chose Walle to coach him, I only thought he might stay for a few competitions, nothing big. But I respect his decision, and I wish him all the best in his life. Thank you Patrick for all you did for Canada!
It worked out for him and Ravi Walia(not Wall-E, that is an animated Disney character :palmf:) for the amount of time needed. There is no set reason that has to be given nor time period of why and when an elite skater works with a coach. Patrick was happy with his choices, and that should be respected, he has contributed more to the sport than many want to give him credit for.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Sad day for the sport! Unexpected or not...he has touched so many people and will always be a shining example of what excellence on the ice looks like. A true competitor and showman. Oh that edgework! He will be missed but never forgotten.

-PChiddy 4ever :)

yup.. my username has now reached its full meaning.

thank you Patrick for everything you have given to this sport. You will 4ever be in my heart.

CellarDweller

Ice Time
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

I'm not laughing at Patrick's announcement. I read the title too quickly, and my brain registered that it was Nathan Chen who had announced his retirement. I had to pick my jaw up off the floor.

Patrick, I wish you the best of luck on all your future endeavors! Thanks for all the great skates over the years!

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker

Jedi

On the Ice
I wish him well. I would have liked him to end on a more positive skating note and that he would refind his fire but his beautiful skating is still his legacy.
It sounds like he has multiple interests in the works - opening a skating school/coaching, real estate sales, continuing with his work in the wine industry, some schooling etc.

I hope he still will skate in shows.

Spirals for Miles

Anna Shcherbakova is my World Champion
Record Breaker
Mods, could this be merged with the other one?

Thanks for the links, LadSkater :)

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
You don't know what you got, till it's gone. I wish Patrick all the best in his future. I wasn't his biggest supporter in earlier years, but like good wine I began to appreciate him and his skating as he got older. :thank:

amberg

Rinkside
Well, it's not like we weren't expecting this (considering the vast majority, including myself, thought that he announced this during/after the Olympics), but just as bittersweet seeing it official and in words. I'm definitely glad he finally got his Olympic gold to accompany his three World golds, singles or not. The skating world will certainly miss his beautiful skating :)

apgold

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Totally expected after the Olympics but sad to hear it's official. I was late to the party being a fan of Patrick and didn't get the hype until I saw him skate live in 2016.

Nobody has flow or edging like him and I hope his influence on younger skaters will be felt for years to come.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
For those wondering about ending on a positive note : I believe P/C is that for him... the gold in the team event for which he skated to 1st place in the LP probably brings a better closure than the couple pops that caused him to lose the gold in Sochi.

Patrick had a very traumatic experience with Sochi, as after landing both his quads he lost his focus and the pressure got to him.... instead of spending a life regretting this moment, he came back, proved himself he could upgrade his level and skate to an ISU championship (4CC 2016) and even added a 4s to his arsenal... sure... the last year was rock n roll but I wasn't surprised with this as soon as it was announced that he would skip Nebelhorn... Something was up... I believe Patrick felt the pressure of the Olympics again and wasn't happy with his preparation.... with his environment.... with his life.... He considered retiring before the games.

It took a lot of courage for him to overcome this and take part to the rest of the season where he achieved all he wanted to achieve (his own words): his 10th National title and Olympic Gold.

So, to me, he ended positively and with a peace that wasn't there in Sochi. This will allow him to have a life without bitterness and resentment. Bravo Patrick for your perseverance and your courage !

**Those naysayers who are going to say that team event doesn't count, you may abstain right away because it does for the ones for which it matters, the athletes themselves.

livetoskate

On the Ice
Wishing Patrick a happy, fruitful retirement from competitive skating. He was one of the best even when the jumps failed him. I remember the excitement of seeing him skate in person at the Liberty Open in PA many years ago. Absolutely gorgeous pure skating. One of these days I'll try his ice wine. :)

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Well, it's not like we weren't expecting this (considering the vast majority, including myself, thought that he announced this during/after the Olympics), but just as bittersweet seeing it official and in words. I'm definitely glad he finally got his Olympic gold to accompany his two World golds, singles or not. The skating world will certainly miss his beautiful skating :)

Three.

Otherwise, good post!

Osmond4gold

Record Breaker
For those wondering about ending on a positive note : I believe P/C is that for him... the gold in the team event for which he skated to 1st place in the LP probably brings a better closure than the couple pops that caused him to lose the gold in Sochi.

Patrick had a very traumatic experience with Sochi, as after landing both his quads he lost his focus and the pressure got to him.... instead of spending a life regretting this moment, he came back, proved himself he could upgrade his level and skate to an ISU championship (4CC 2016) and even added a 4s to his arsenal... sure... the last year was rock n roll but I wasn't surprised with this as soon as it was announced that he would skip Nebelhorn... Something was up... I believe Patrick felt the pressure of the Olympics again and wasn't happy with his preparation.... with his environment.... with his life.... He considered retiring before the games.

It took a lot of courage for him to overcome this and take part to the rest of the season where he achieved all he wanted to achieve (his own words): his 10th National title and Olympic Gold.

So, to me, he ended positively and with a peace that wasn't there in Sochi. This will allow him to have a life without bitterness and resentment. Bravo Patrick for your perseverance and your courage !

**Those naysayers who are going to say that team event doesn't count, you may abstain right away because it does for the ones for which it matters, the athletes themselves.

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Baron Vladimir

Record Breaker

What im interested in(instead of that Patrick Chan drama you're bringing ;)) is-can you become a devoted fan of someone else in the near future?:biggrin:
About Patrick... i really dont think that skaters achievements are measured in first place by the colour of the medal he/she won, especially not for us, FS fans. So, i would say - thank you Patrick for just being there, communicating your love for figure skating with us :bow:

yude

Record Breaker
Patrick's retirement was reported in Japanese TV news, too!

Thank you Patrick for keep competing till this year, I wish him good luck in the future :)

xibsuarz

Record Breaker
We all saw it coming, but it's still a shame to see him go. Regardless, he sounds completely satisfied with what he's done and I think that's the most important thing. I wish him the best in his future projects, and that we can still see his beautiful skating in shows :)