2018-19 U.S. Men’s figure skating | Page 7 | Golden Skate

2018-19 U.S. Men’s figure skating

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Speaking of Vincent, he posted on IG that he's in Toronto. (Fueling rumors that he's joining TCC, like everyone else, lol).

Perhaps he's there getting choreography?

Does Vincent skate in Jacksons? He could be getting skates/boots.

Of course, that’s what I thought Jason was doing in Toronto a few months ago:laugh: in my defense, he had previously visited Toronto just for his skates....

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Does Vincent skate in Jacksons? He could be getting skates/boots.

Of course, that’s what I thought Jason was doing in Toronto a few months ago:laugh: in my defense, he had previously visited Toronto just for his skates....

IIRC he wears Riedell.

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Funny, this didn't seem to be a problem the Vincent fans were worried about last year when people were advocating him doing the Junior-Senior double because obviously Vincent could deliver the third spot but Jason couldn't...

All Vincent fans?

Sorry, but pitting ourselves against each other gets tiring. I'm a Vincent fan, a Jason fan, a Nathan fan, and an Adam fan.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Funny, the contents of your post doesn't really flow. Oh, wait, someone's post got deleted. Thanks for all the folks who gave it a thumbs up before someone got their feelings hurt, the bullying continues. Not even going to bother.

You had another post in this thread?

A lot goes on on GS while I sleep, it seems.

el henry

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
IIRC he wears Riedell.

Thanks for the info, I wonder if he is switching?

I hate to read too much into IG posts, but Jackson liked and commented on Vincent’s recent post. If he is switching, it makes even more sense that he would go to Toronto for fitting. Just a thought...

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Thanks for the info, I wonder if he is switching?

I hate to read too much into IG posts, but Jackson liked and commented on Vincent’s recent post. If he is switching, it makes even more sense that he would go to Toronto for fitting. Just a thought...

Vincent does wear Matrix blades which is manufactured by Jackson Ultima, so if he's going for anything it may be that, IDK. I'm sticking with choreo with Lori N as the reason.

Kelti

Rinkside
Worlds was disastrous...
And, as for the sympathy for Jin, I think it was partially because of the judges lowballing his score.

I think rather than Jin being lowballed in scoring (i think that's debatable personally), it's more likely that Vincent has much more intense competition domestically, and that when he's placed on the Worlds team he carries the burden to maintain the 3 spots for US men next year. Whereas for Jin's situation, his meltdown at Worlds resulted in China having only one spot next year, but not many fans reacted to this situation since they feel China has no one else to send anyways. Sadly most assumed Han Yan is retiring even without any official announcement from CSA.

Getting back to the topic of US Men, I do wish Vincent would cut down on the quads and focus more on the other aspect of skating. I understand what he had to do last season to get himself a shoot for the Olympic spot but his multi-quad program really took away everything else in his performance. He's young and passionate about the sport, I hope his coaching team can guide him to the direction towards a well balanced skater, instead of relying on USFS to promote that on paper through media. The new system might encourage him to focus on quality instead of quantity, I don't like how he is being hyped by having all the 'quads' when he doesn't rotate them most of the time. But I believe if he's given more time to work on finetuning one or two quads at a time he can improve on the overall quality of his jumps.

Zenchio63

Final Flight
I think rather than Jin being lowballed in scoring (i think that's debatable personally), it's more likely that Vincent has much more intense competition domestically, and that when he's placed on the Worlds team he carries the burden to maintain the 3 spots for US men next year. Whereas for Jin's situation, his meltdown at Worlds resulted in China having only one spot next year, but not many fans reacted to this situation since they feel China has no one else to send anyways. Sadly most assumed Han Yan is retiring even without any official announcement from CSA.

:yes: That is one of the best posts I have read :thumbsup:! You have inspired me to come out of lurk mode and write a response, risking the chance of receiving another warning from the GS Forum Moderators and having my post deleted ;).

Vincent has repeatedly mentioned how he felt it was his duty to represent the US well in competitions. He injured his back just before Worlds, but still went out there and valiantly gave it his all, performing a personal best SP. Unfortunately, he couldn’t sustain through the injury and wasn’t able to pull it through on the FP. Unlike Shoma, he doesn’t have the great PCS and reputation to suffer the TES deductions. But like Shoma, Vincent went out there despite his injury and performed to the best of his ability. That is the sign of a true fighter and champion. I have more respect for him than certain skaters who pull out just before the competition because they fear of not being able to deliver and beat the other skaters.

Getting back to the topic of US Men, I do wish Vincent would cut down on the quads and focus more on the other aspect of skating. I understand what he had to do last season to get himself a shoot for the Olympic spot but his multi-quad program really took away everything else in his performance. He's young and passionate about the sport, I hope his coaching team can guide him to the direction towards a well balanced skater, instead of relying on USFS to promote that on paper through media. The new system might encourage him to focus on quality instead of quantity, I don't like how he is being hyped by having all the 'quads' when he doesn't rotate them most of the time. But I believe if he's given more time to work on finetuning one or two quads at a time he can improve on the overall quality of his jumps.

Absolutely agree 100% and more :agree:. I am Vincent's biggest fan and have expressed the same sentiment many times. I did wish that he would talk with Borser when Ice Fantasia was first announced at the beginning of April and secretly hoped that he would switch teams. This was before all the other skater moves were announced. I am going to give his team the benefit of the doubt for now since Tammy is relocating to Colorado. But it was clear that TomZ pushed him way too much and wasn't able to gauge the realistic expectations of a first year International senior, having to perform under the shadow of Nathan and the other artistic veteran skaters. He had way too much pressure and expectations to handle.

In a recent NBC Bay Area interview around the time of the San Jose SOI show, Vincent said: “It’s just hard when you focus that much on the quads. So this season, I’m trying to make a huge change artistically." It sounds clear to me that he realizes the pitfalls of the quad-heavy and artistically-lacking programs. Vincent is a very smart kid and he is very grounded. Now that the Olympics is over, he should be able to take his time to work on his SS and presentation skills to improve his PCS, and hopefully TomZ and Christy Krall can focus on fine tuning his quad rotations. I am hoping Tammy's presence will help balance out TomZ's intense quad-focused training regimen. He's even having Camden try 4A's when he should be working on establishing a good solid SS and jump technique for all his skaters, first and foremost.

I have high hopes for Vincent and :pray: that Lori and Jeffrey will choreograph suitable programs for him, where he can showcase and focus on his expressive musicality, instead of just doing one jump to another.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Entries for 2018 Aerial Figure Skating Challenge in alphabetical order:

Men:
Tomoki Hiwatashi
Ben Jalovick
Max Lake
Jimmy Ma
Jordan Moeller
Camden Pulkinen
Patrick Rupp
Emmanuel Savary
Dinh Tran
Andrew Torgashev​

Ladies:
Maxine Marie Bautista
Ting Cui
Hannah Harrell
Angelina Huang
Courtney Hicks
Pooja Kalyan
Ashley Lin
Alysa Liu
Audrey Shin
Emilea Zingas​

"Livestreaming of the Aerial Challenge will begin at 12:15pm MDT on Saturday, 6/23. The Aerial Challenge is being livestreamed for free courtesy of the Broadmoor Figure Skating Club and ProEventPhoto."

To be clear: streaming only of Aerial Challenge is "for free."
Streaming of Broadmoor Open requires purchasing a pass.

Aerial Challenge is scheduled for 12:15 to 1:45 pm local time, per http://broadmoorskatingclub.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/05/Saturday-1.pdf

New branding this year: "EDEA from Skates U.S. Aerial Figure Skating Challenge"

ETA (on Jun 10):

Per today's press release, Todd Eldredge will be back on the judging panel for a third year.
https://www.facebook.com/AerialFigureSkatingChallenge/posts/921204228082010 (Jun 10)​

ETA (on Jun 15):

Belatedly occurs to me that I should have mentioned (although the FB post did not): Winners of the Broadmoor Open jump events (junior and senior levels) also qualify for Aerial Challenge.​

noskates

Record Breaker
I loved Dinh Tran at US Nats this past year. He has a great backstory and has a lot of style. Also anxious to see Camden Pulkinen again. Timoki Hawatashi is another up and comer. I think when these "kids" hit seniors it's going to be very interesting.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I am all about Dinh Tran too! Good chance for him to show off that 3A, which he just got this season. Should be good watches for both men and ladies.

Spirals for Miles

Anna Shcherbakova is my World Champion
Record Breaker

Men:
Tomoki Hiwatashi
Ben Jalovick
Max Lake
Jimmy Ma
Jordan Moeller
Camden Pulkinen
Patrick Rupp
Emmanuel Savary
Dinh Tran
Andrew Torgashev​

Ladies:
Maxine Marie Bautista
Ting Cui
Hannah Harrell
Angelina Huang
Courtney Hicks
Pooja Kalyan
Ashley Lin
Alysa Liu
Audrey Shin
Emilea Zingas​

"The Aerial Challenge on Saturday, 6/23 will be livestreamed for free courtesy of the Broadmoor Figure Skating Club and ProEventPhoto."

To be clear: streaming only of Aerial Challenge is "for free."
Streaming of Broadmoor Open requires purchasing a pass.

Aerial Challenge is scheduled for 12:15 to 1:45 pm local time, per http://broadmoorskatingclub.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/05/Saturday-1.pdf

New branding this year: "EDEA from Skates U.S. Aerial Figure Skating Challenge"

Is Aerial Challenge the artistic or technical one? And what’s the time difference between them and Eastern time?

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia

(snip)

Max Lake

Nearly had a heart attack and thought maybe Max decided still doing the jump contest even though he's retired could be fun. Then I read it again.

musicfan80

Medalist
Are the entries for the Peggy Fleming Trophy up yet? I can't find them on Broadmoor Skating Club's website. I think that entry list will be much more interesting! :biggrin:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Are the entries for the Peggy Fleming Trophy up yet? I can't find them on Broadmoor Skating Club's website. I think that entry list will be much more interesting! :biggrin:

Perhaps much more interesting, but possibly much more elusive.
Although I hope not much more elusive, I have seen no list for Peggy Fleming Trophy yet.

Came across a post about PFT from one entry, who happens not to be high profile. Wishing good luck to him and the other as-yet-unknown entries.

Nearly had a heart attack and thought maybe Max decided still doing the jump contest even though he's retired could be fun. Then I read it again.

:ghug: I too am missing Max. :sad4:

el henry

Record Breaker
Country
United-States

I’m not sure about much more interesting.

Although due to injury and change, no Jason:sad21::sad21::sad21: And Jason was always such a good sport about entering the jump challenge.

But unless it’s a matter of coaching strategy, I cannot imagine at least Andrew T., Jordan Moeller, Dinh Tran or Camden Pulkinen are not also entered in the PFT. And now that Andrew is full time in Colorado, he takes Jason’s place;):luv17: