2018-19 U.S. Men’s figure skating | Page 8 | Golden Skate

2018-19 U.S. Men’s figure skating

princessalica

Final Flight
Just saw on alex krasnozhon’s Instagram that “due to personal reasons” the Cain’s are no longer his coaches. He is with Olga and Alexey letov

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Broadmoor Open, Senior Men Combined Event SP, Jun 21 -- placements (scores are too hard to read accurately):

1. Camden Pulkinen

2. Emmanuel Savary (top two scores look quite close … 76-ish to 77-ish?)

3. Andrew Torgashev

4. Jimmy Ma

5. Dustin Sherriff-Clayton (of Canada?)

6. Timothy Dolensky

7. Jordan Moeller

8. Ben Jalovick​

andromache

Record Breaker
Broadmoor Open, Senior Men Combined Event SP, Jun 21 -- placements (scores are too hard to read accurately):

1. Camden Pulkinen

2. Emmanuel Savary (top two scores look quite close)

Camden is my favorite of the top US international juniors/new seniors, and Emmanuel was my brand new fave from Nationals, so I'm pretty excited about this. I hope there will be protocols at some point.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I get so confused by Broadmoor, combined event, aerial event, etc. etc.:biggrin:

Happy to see Andrew T. in the hunt with a (low) 70s score.

But Timmy D. and Jordan:sad21: although I know from his interview it is a braaaaaand new SP for Tim. Jordan, I don’t know. And obviously an early summer comp is where you work it out....

And sooooo strange not to see Jason at Broadmoor:eek:

mrrice

Record Breaker
Camden is my favorite of the top US international juniors/new seniors, and Emmanuel was my brand new fave from Nationals, so I'm pretty excited about this. I hope there will be protocols at some point.

Mine too. He reminds me so much of Max that I almost feel like I'm watching Max skate. It gives one more thing to look forward to this season.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I get so confused by Broadmoor, combined event, aerial event, etc. etc.:biggrin:

Happy to see Andrew T. in the hunt with a (low) 70s score.

But Timmy D. and Jordan:sad21: although I know from his interview it is a braaaaaand new SP for Tim. Jordan, I don’t know. And obviously an early summer comp is where you work it out....

And sooooo strange not to see Jason at Broadmoor:eek:

There is a new artistic competition at Broadmoor: The Peggy Fleming Trophy event. Could Jason be competing at that?

el henry

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
There is a new artistic competition at Broadmoor: The Peggy Fleming Trophy event. Could Jason be competing at that?

Sadly, no:noshake:

When I first heard of this comp, my immediate reaction was “Paging Jason Brown”. But given his recovery from injury, and the fact that he now trains in another country rather than down the road, he will not be there.

There’s always next year ;)

mrrice

Record Breaker
Did Alexei say anything more about the "Personal" issue with the Cain's? He did so well with them and I think that barring his injury, he'd be Junior World Champion right now.

princessalica

Final Flight
Did Alexei say anything more about the "Personal" issue with the Cain's? He did so well with them and I think that barring his injury, he'd be Junior World Champion right now.

I’ve been looking and nothing. He was living with them, and as a foster parent there is no telling arguments or anything that could have disrupted their relationship. Living and training together could quickly lead to too much time together.

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I’ve been looking and nothing. He was living with them, and as a foster parent there is no telling arguments or anything that could have disrupted their relationship. Living and training together could quickly lead to too much time together.

I could definitely see that, especially since he's 18 now - it might get harder to spend that much time with them since it's an age when a lot of people move out and start being more independent.

Of course it might have nothing to do with this, but it wouldn't surprise me. I know people who lived and trained with their parents (different sport), and it definitely made the relationship harder for a while at least.

el henry

Record Breaker
Country
United-States

Can you tell me where you saw that Alex was living with the Cains? I did not know that. I know that his father would come over for the summer, at least according to one interview, and that when he first arrived, he lived with a Russian host family as his English was non-existent (also, if he was living there, it might be more accurate to call the Cains a "host" family rather than a "foster" family, since Alex has an involved family)

And although Alex said "personal reasons" in his original IG post, I thought that to mean differences in approaching training, rather than a difference in temperament. But I have no idea, and like you, have seen nothing. I thought the Cains and their team did wonders in improving Alex's artistry, :agree:and I hope that continues with the Letovs.

princessalica

Final Flight
Can you tell me where you saw that Alex was living with the Cains? I did not know that. I know that his father would come over for the summer, at least according to one interview, and that when he first arrived, he lived with a Russian host family as his English was non-existent (also, if he was living there, it might be more accurate to call the Cains a "host" family rather than a "foster" family, since Alex has an involved family)

And although Alex said "personal reasons" in his original IG post, I thought that to mean differences in approaching training, rather than a difference in temperament. But I have no idea, and like you, have seen nothing. I thought the Cains and their team did wonders in improving Alex's artistry, :agree:and I hope that continues with the Letovs.

Sorry, I wasn’t clear at all. I’m a foster parent and was referring to my experience with that age range that it’s hard to get along sometimes at that age with parental figures-that’s true even for bio families I’ve had over a dozen teen girls living with me. It’s not the same, but just using that as a comparison. There were insta stories that looked like alex over on Christmas morning not just training together but appeared as he were living there. And I absolutely could be wrong.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Can you tell me where you saw that Alex was living with the Cains? I did not know that. I know that his father would come over for the summer, at least according to one interview, and that when he first arrived, he lived with a Russian host family as his English was non-existent ...

My two cents:

Although I cannot say with 100% certainty, I definitely had gotten the impression from social media accounts -- belonging to the Cains, Ashley Cain, Krasnozhon, and Dolensky -- that both Krasnozhon and Dolensky were living with the Cains on a long-term basis.

One example that sticks in my mind is that when the air conditioning was not working in part of the Cain residence upstairs, Alex and Tim D resorted to sleeping on couches in the living room on a temporary basis.

In any case, the Cains seemed to treat Alex and Tim D like family. Another thing that sticks in my mind is that on one of the Cain family's "sushi nights," either Alex or Tim D happened to be out of town. Someone posted a photo from the sushi restaurant of (IIRC) the Cains + Alex or Tim D + Ashley's then-boyfriend (now fiancé) … + an iPad propped up on the table showing ongoing video-chatting with the person who was out of town, so that he would not miss out on the fun.

My recollection re Papa Krasnozhon is that he has visited Alex in the U.S. not for full summers, but maybe a few weeks during the summer. IIRC, there have been at least two years when Papa has visited when Alex was competing at Broadmoor Open/Aerial Challenge.​

BTW, if anyone was wondering whether Sean Rabbitt will be competing this season, the answer seems to be Yes.
This past weekend, he competed at the SoCal Interclub Championship.
I wonder who is and will be coaching Sean.

oatmella

陈巍
Record Breaker
I’m not sure where Alexei was living - but from an interview from last year - about his parents visiting him:
http://figureskatersonline.com/news...ow-a-russian-born-texas-loving-figure-skater/

FSO: None of your family is here with you in the states. So how is it to have your family back in Russia and move to America at such a young age? Do you miss them and Russia?
AK: I don’t think that I miss Russia, but I do miss my family. My mom comes during the summer and stays for a few months and we rent an apartment. My dad comes for competitions. He comes for Nationals and stays with me three weeks after Nationals and we usually go on vacation and then we just live in an apartment together. I think when I first came it was hard. I think not being able to come home, talk to your parents and play with your (younger) sisters when you’re 13 is very hard. I couldn’t call them all the time. As I got older and have been here longer, I have gotten used to it. I still miss them, but I try not to think about it. I know that I am better off here. At first, I did not want to come here, but when I got here and the second I saw the rink and I met Peter, I knew it was the right decision.

andromache

Record Breaker
Camden has such a unique, lyrical quality to his skating that reminds me of Josh Farris (though more unfinished and less refined).

mrrice

Record Breaker
Camden has such a unique, lyrical quality to his skating that reminds me of Josh Farris (though more unfinished and less refined).

Which I call him Max Junior....I love his power and his masculine style of skating. Fast and exciting. We have some really good young skaters coming up this year and I'm very excited for Nationals.

andromache

Record Breaker
Which I call him Max Junior....I love his power and his masculine style of skating. Fast and exciting. We have some really good young skaters coming up this year and I'm very excited for Nationals.

I think Alexei K. gives me way more Max vibes than Camden - the speed and power and raw energy. Camden has a natural musicality and flow that I generally prefer, style-wise (if he ends up in a rivalry with Alexei, I'm rooting for Camden).

Then there's Torgashev (who I've seen hyped on here a LOT), who gives me crazy Alexei Yagudin vibes, which is obviously a good thing, but his style can feel dated.

I'm excited to see how Tomoki progresses this year, too. His skating and programs last season were stunning, but the jumps were kinda weak. I wonder if he will bounce back this season.