2018-19 U.S. Men’s figure skating | Page 10 | Golden Skate

2018-19 U.S. Men’s figure skating

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
OK, totally minor comment and observation, but USFS listed “Alex” Krasnozhon as the entry in the GPs. His IG is Alex.

I’m not one of those folks who obsesses over names (call me what you want just don’t call me late for dinner) but since he’s making strides to citizenship, last we heard, I wonder if prefers that?

Tiny observations......:scratch3:

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
OK, totally minor comment and observation, but USFS listed “Alex” Krasnozhon as the entry in the GPs. His IG is Alex.

I’m not one of those folks who obsesses over names (call me what you want just don’t call me late for dinner) but since he’s making strides to citizenship, last we heard, I wonder if prefers that?

Tiny observations......:scratch3:

Interesting point.

FWIW I looked up the names from the results on Icenetwork and copy and pasted to try to at least get names right... guess sometimes you can't trust the source.

He is still "Aleksei Krasnozhon" on the ISP but the press release type announcement http://www.usfigureskating.org/story?id=91606&type=media has him as "Alex" So it looks like it could be a transition thing as you say.

Icenetwork has him as Alex, but twitter, the ISU and Wiki all have him as Aleksei still. Will be interesting to see how things shift.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
So we have Nathan, Vincent, Jason and Alexei with two spots. Alexander Johnson has 1. That sounds about right since the those four were in the top 24 on the SB list and Alexander Johnson was just outside it (he may have been high enough on the WR). Max Aaron retired, otherwise he would have received two.

TBD Spot candidates I'm guessing = Alexander Johnson (for his 2nd spot), Timothy Dolensky and Camden Pulkinen.

omg … I am THRILLED for Alex Johnson. :bow: :yay: :dance2: :hap85: :hap93:
(He is #77 on World Standings list, but his skating takes my breath away. :luv17:)

Camden has said that his goal is to win JGPF this season.

Congratulations to Krasnozhon for getting two GPs.

I will miss Max forever, but today is a day when I am especially missing him. :sad4:

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Interesting point.

FWIW I looked up the names from the results on Icenetwork and copy and pasted to try to at least get names right... guess sometimes you can't trust the source.

He is still "Aleksei Krasnozhon" on the ISP but the press release type announcement http://www.usfigureskating.org/story?id=91606&type=media has him as "Alex" So it looks like it could be a transition thing as you say.

Icenetwork has him as Alex, but twitter, the ISU and Wiki all have him as Aleksei still. Will be interesting to see how things shift.

Actually, twitter has Aleksei, but Wiki and ISU spell it Alexei.

WestVirginia130

Rinkside
Camden is my favorite of the top US international juniors/new seniors, and Emmanuel was my brand new fave from Nationals, so I'm pretty excited about this. I hope there will be protocols at some point.

Oh yeah! Nats last year was my first in-person competition and Savary was an *immediate* fave. He worked the crowd really well. Plus his Captain America warm-up costume really caught lots of people's eyes :laugh:

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia

I will miss Max forever, but today is a day when I am especially missing him. :sad4:

Yes...I spent a good five minutes combing the list looking for his assignments before I remembered. I knew it but now it is really real.

el henry

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Interesting point.

Well, all good points, but thanks to the GS article, we have now heard from Alex himself that he prefers “Alex”.

And he was living with the Cain’s, as a previous poster indicated.

And that his FS is Grieg. This I like:)

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
So I am wondering if Jimmy Ma could slip in for the Skate America TBA. Of senior men competing he is the second highest from US Natioanls to not have an assignment. Tim Dolensky is probably the favorite right now, but he has had chances on the GP. I don't think it would take much over the summer for Jimmy to sneak in and outshine him. Especially after he caused a stir at Nationals. I would not be surprised at all.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Why is Camden Pulkinen staying Junior internationally? With all the retirements of US men there is room for a younger skater to move up fast in the US ranks now.

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
Why is Camden Pulkinen staying Junior internationally? With all the retirements of US men there is room for a younger skater to move up fast in the US ranks now.

I think a lot of US Men are hungry for the junior world title. And I think USFS also likes the junior world title.

You also have to think to next season. Even a pretty good (but not great) senior debut this season could leave whoever wins junior worlds in a much better positioned in 2019-2020 than Camden with a year as as senior and no hardware. Sticking around in juniors one more year gives him the chance to be that skater with the junior world title rather than face off against the title holder. I suspect Tomoki, Andrew and Camden are all going to be really competitive this season for that title, and whoever comes out on top will have the upper hand going forward.

Ice Dance

Record Breaker

Relax. Camden doesn't have a quad, and he wasn't ranked top 24 on either the SB or World Standing list. He has a better chance of improving his world standings by competing in juniors and earning his own GP spots for next season. He will probably get at least one senior Challenger invitation, and if he does really well could even get another senior international before Nationals. And he's competing in seniors at Nationals so if by some miracle--and as much as I enjoy Camden's skating, I do think it would take a miracle--he was to finish top three, he could compete the post season in seniors if he wished. (And if he earned his TES minimums at the early senior international event).

skatenewbie

Medalist
because he needs the score to back up for GP. Its clear that Krasnozhon was pushed to get GP because he is the JGPF gold medalist and have quads as well. If moving to senior now, Camden would be like Jason but with much less PCS and wont get GP only doing challanger which not better than doing JGP. I hope he can medal in JW and JGPF. The field is much emptier now with all JW medalist moving to senior and Krasnozhon too. Only 1 JGPF medalist stay in JGP, Mitsuki tsumoto. I also hope he can get quads too, is he practicing any beside the 4A?

RemyRose

YOLO
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
because he needs the score to back up for GP. Its clear that Krasnozhon was pushed to get GP because he is the JGPF gold medalist and have quads as well. If moving to senior now, Camden would be like Jason but with much less PCS and wont get GP only doing challanger which not better than doing JGP. I hope he can medal in JW and JGPF. The field is much emptier now with all JW medalist moving to senior and Krasnozhon too. Only 1 JGPF medalist stay in JGP, Mitsuki tsumoto. I also hope he can get quads too, is he practicing any beside the 4A?

No not all JW medalist moved up, Danielian cannot move up due to age, he is only 14. And Camden attempted a quad toe just recently, last week at Broadmoor https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=83L0Yjo6ehk

mrrice

Record Breaker
What ever happened to Joshua's Comeback? For some reason, I thought he was planning to come back this year. I guess it was just a rumor.

el henry

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
What ever happened to Joshua's Comeback? For some reason, I thought he was planning to come back this year. I guess it was just a rumor.

Josh announced a comeback *last* season. His concussion symptoms returned and he withdrew.

He has said nothing about this season and has been seen happily coaching. Presumably he is retired.

mrrice

Record Breaker
Josh announced a comeback *last* season. His concussion symptoms returned and he withdrew.

He has said nothing about this season and has been seen happily coaching. Presumably he is retired.

Any chance he'll skate in shows or would that be too much for his symptoms. I know it sounds selfish but I loved his skating so much and I could see him perform anywhere it would be a thrill.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I’m the biggest one on the Andrew T. admirer train .... choo-choo! because he deserves it for his wonderful performance chops. I don’t use the word “hype” because that sounds like he doesn’t deserve the praise;) and he does:agree:

other than my friend and debating partner @TontoK, I want to know who else “hypes” Andrew, so we can get together and commune:)

Frankly, I see Camden “hyped” a lot more than Andrew, and given the seasons they had last year, I completely understand: Camden grew into a skater with real flow and power, which I never would have guessed from his previous seasons, whereas Andrew lost jumps he had and just never seemed to gel, again, the complete opposite of previous seasons.

If Camden can keep that up on the Junior circuit for another season (and I hope he can) he will be one to watch. And if Andrew regains his form of previous seasons, he will be one to watch too. :biggrin:

Hi El!

I've been only sporadically keeping up with the boards over the summer, but wanted to take a minute to send you a shout-out.

I'm waiting on some programs. I did see a short clip of Nathan skating to something that is being touted as his new SP... some blend of gypsy and jazz. I don't know what to think of it, but I'm intrigued. (Note - is "gypsy" an approved description? I think in reference to historical stuff it's OK - sort of like "Negro Spiritual" - but, in any event: No offense intended).

I also heard Jason's music. It has me puzzled, it's "off brand" for sure. But I'm willing to be convinced.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Per Insta story of @tarahkayne, I think Krasnozhon must be on a visit to Colorado Springs at the moment?

If my eyes do not deceive me, he is sitting next to her at a group meal with Danny and some OTC friends (from a variety of other sports).

Anyway, following up on recent discussion of Krasnozhon in this thread ...

Here is a photo of him with his family at 2016 Nats:

Appreciate that the GS article gave confirmation that Krasnozhon had lived with the Cains for years.

BTW, this old IN article has verification that Dolensky was/is boarding with the Cains as well.

Dolensky and Krasnozhon both are on the entry list for Skate Detroit. :popcorn: