Page 33 of 33 FirstFirst ... 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33

Thread: 2018-19 U.S. Men’s figure skating

Tripping on the Podium

3 Not allowed!
    Yay im so happy Torgashev won! i guess he have big chance to qualify. My prediction Pulkinen, Gogolev, Torgashev, Sumoto/Shimada/ russian skater will go to JGPF.

1 Not allowed!
    Yaaaay Andrew T.

As he said in his IG, not the best skate, but he fought for it. He has always had those mad skating skillz and hopefully at some point this year the jumps will come together.

Rinkside

1 Not allowed!
    I just realized that Adam Rippon has been removed from the ISP, even though he hasn't officially said anything about the future of his career (similar to Mirai, who is in fact, still on the ISP). Thoughts?

On the Ice

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by bennorii View Post
    I just realized that Adam Rippon has been removed from the ISP, even though he hasn't officially said anything about the future of his career (similar to Mirai, who is in fact, still on the ISP). Thoughts?
    We won’t ever see Adam on competitive ice again, imo. He’s a beautiful skater and performer but just doesn’t have to quad tech to keep up. Plus he had the absolute best results he could have in this Olympic season. He’s the most famous figure skater in America in quite some time.

5 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by bennorii View Post
    We are surprised at this? C'mon, the guy's old in figure skating years and he's hot property away from the ice right now. "skipping the season" in this context is basically code for "I'm finished, but the new shiny sponsors/opportunities might dry up if I use the r-word, so let's pretend I'm just on pause". Which is fair. Limited earning opportunities in this sport so I don't begrudge it.

6 Not allowed!
    Many of us have been saying since the Olympics (well, at least me, and I’m pretty sure I was not alone).
    Adam has been skating for a very long time. Adam has achieved a level of popularity that far exceeds anything, and I mean *anything*, he could achieve as an American male skater. And by that I mean, I have friends who know who Adam Rippon is, who have never once seen an ice rink on TV, streaming, in person, otherwise. They don’t know Nathan Chen, they don’t know Vincent Zhou, if they know Jason Brown, it’s because of me. But they know Adam.

Adam would be foolish to give up all the opportunities that he now has out there in the big wide world to skate competetively again, and Adam is nobody’s fool. I don’t care if developed a quad axel tomorrow, what more could skating do for him? And he has already done everything he can for skating.

He is going out on a high note, but I remain convinced he is going out. Good for him

7 Not allowed!
    Speaking of Adam, I just started a new thread about an interview he did on NPR (though we don't have audio online yet, it will be there soon!).
    https://www.goldenskate.com/forum/sh...312#post218531

The season's fully underway with the senior competitions starting! I've started a new spreadsheet to track the men's scores, yay!

Lots of action going on this weekend. We had five U.S. men (four senior, 1 junior nationally) competing at three different competitions. Here's my summary of their performances.

Tomoki Hiwatashi (JGP Richmond, 2nd): Tomoki has almost been kind of an afterthought after the "big 3" junior men internationally last season -- Alex Krasnozhon, Camden Pulkinen and Andrew Torgashev. But he made a statement here, especially with his wonderful SP, which I felt had wonderful choreography and he show more maturity in his performance. It was my favorite performance out of all the U.S. men competing this weekend. His FS was a bit of a struggle and he dropped to 2nd after leading after the SP, but overall he kept himself in the game for a JGPF spot.

Jimmy Ma (U.S. Classic, 3rd): Perhaps the surprising top U.S. men of this competition, especially as Vincent Zhou was expected to be the runaway winner here. His skaters were not without error, but he turned in two solid skates, including very secure 3As, a jump that had been problematic for him previously. Considering this is his first season competing for Team USA internationally as a senior (he was previously on the JGP in 2013-2014), this is a great result. He definitely surprised everyone with the "Mi Gente" SP (or maybe people expected him to go out-of-the-box after last season!). I'm sad he went back to his old FS, cause I thought the Joshua Farris-choreographed program had promise, but it looks like he wants to master the quad toe loop, so it makes sense to go to a program he knows.

Vincent Zhou (U.S. Classic, 4th): Vincent was expected to win this competition, but there was a relatively late reveal that Vincent had been struggling with a back injury ever since Worlds (that was given as an explanation for his poor performance at Worlds FS) and that he only been practicing for a few weeks. Therefore his relatively poor performances here were not surprising to me for that reason. The silver lining is that Vincent shows some growth potential with his programs and skating . For me, he showed potential in his free skate -- which turned out to be the highest of the night, though not enough overall to get him a medal. There's effort to finish his movements more and not rush from jump to jump. Rotations were a problem here, but it's not clear whether that's a reflection of a lack of training time or that he hasn't fixed chronic URs we saw last season.

Timothy Dolensky (Lombardia Trophy, 6th) : First of all, Tim has two really lovely programs (SP: Spark by Amber Run and FS: Faux by Novo Amor, Ed Tullett
    Faux (Remix) by Said the Sky, which I believe he kept from last season). They are very much in his wheel house and he moves well to the music He had some technical issues here. The SP was relatively good, though he fell on his 4S<. The FS had more technical issues with another fall on his 4S<< and popping both his 3As. He was clearly in the running for the TBD, but this competition (like Jimmy at U.S. Classic) kinda showed why, unfortunately he was passed for the spot. I believe Timothy has another Challenger scheduled, so I'll be looking for some improvements there.

Peter Liu (JGP Richmond, 12th): He started out well with a 6th place SP, putting him in the final group. He then sadly fell 4 times in the FS and dropped to 12th (with a 15th place FS). He has some good musicality. The FS was unfortunate, but I'm hoping he'll use it as a a good learning experience.

So after 3 JGP competitions and 2 Challengers, our top scoring U.S. man is Camden Pulkinen at 222.95. Tomoki Hiwatashi is 2nd with 213.24 and Jimmy Ma at 206.10. Obviously there are a whole bunch of U.S. men we haven't seen yet, so obviously these rankings will change. I'll do my score tracker when we have a few more folks compete.

But to sum things up -- U.S. men look good on the JGP, we could end up with up to three U.S. men to the JGPF. And we're 1 for (Edited: 2, forgot about Asian Trophy) on medals in the Challenger series.

Next up this week: Jason Brown at Autumn Classic, Sean Rabbit at Ondrej Nepala Trophy. Jason will have the opportunity to make an early statement and show the results of the numerous changes he made off-season. A lot of folks wanted Sean to have the TBD at SkAm, but he'll have a chance to show a case for additional assignments.
    Last edited by Mrs. P; 09-17-2018 at 07:45 PM.

avatar credit: @miyan5605 ice coverage's Avatar

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. P View Post
    … Lots of action going on this weekend. We had five U.S. men (four senior, 1 junior nationally) competing at three different competitions. Here's my summary of their performances.

… So after 3 JGP competitions and 2 Challengers, our top scoring U.S. man is Camden Pulkinen at 222.95. Tomoki Hiwatashi is 2nd with 213.24 and Jimmy Ma at 206.10. Obviously there are a whole bunch of U.S. men we haven't seen yet, so obviously these rankings will change. I'll do my score tracker when we have a few more folks compete.

But to sum things up -- U.S. men look good on the JGP, we could end up with up to three U.S. men to the JGPF. And we're 1 for 1 on medals in the Challenger series.
    Thx for putting together an extensive summary, Mrs. P.

Congratulations to Tomoki and to Jimmy.

(No big deal and sorry for being the typo police, but you meant that U.S. men are 1 for 2 for medals at Challengers this season.)

As I try to increase my own awareness of non-senior men, will add below the medalists from U.S. Challenge Skate. Congratulations to all.

Junior: Dinh Tran 173.27; Lucas Altieri 152.44; Alex Wellman 149.45.

Novice: Ilia Malinin 157.17; Matthew Nielsen 152.48; Phillip Baker 141.80.

ETA, forgot to say re Challenge Skate:
    "The entire event will be available on-demand on the U.S. Figure Skating Fan Zone next week."

Good luck to Jason and to Sean this week.

Quote Originally Posted by andromache View Post
    Not necessarily relevant to the US men specifically, but man, my heart hurts just thinking about Oleg Protopopov performing without his wife.
    Quote Originally Posted by ice coverage View Post
    Although it is not clear to me whether "special guest" means Oleg will give a performance, the point about losing Ludmila remains the same.
    Off topic, but following up to say that Oleg Protopopov did perform by himself for An Evening With Champions, and received a standing O.

Oleg's performance was part of a multi-faceted EWC tribute to Ludmila, according to posts on FSU.

BTW, has anyone found video of Alex Johnson's EWC performance? He debuted his brand-new SP (“Don’t Stop the Music” by Jamie Cullum - choreo by Shae Lynn).

Rinkside

0 Not allowed!
    JGP Armenia entry lists have been updated. Peter Liu has been switched out for Nicholas Hsieh.

After Joseph Kang, the next best Junior men's score this summer was Joonsoo Kim, but I guess he was skipped over for Hsieh (who has the next best summer score).

Page 33 of 33 FirstFirst ... 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33