2018-19 U.S. Men’s figure skating | Page 56 | Golden Skate

2018-19 U.S. Men’s figure skating

mrrice

Record Breaker
Confirmed: Tim Dolensky will not be competing this year, because:

he has joined the cast of the skating show on the Symphony of the Seas:cool:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BwQkh8CFnId/. (the cast director showing around new hires, including Tim and Angela Wang and I don't recognize the third person)

As much as I love cruising, I have only been once on one of the "skating ships" and that was in the interregnum when I wasn't following skating. I may need to save up my pennies for a cruise out of Miami this year:yes:

No official word from Tim on retiring, so maybe he's planning a Tim LeDuc style return:biggrin:

I'm glad to see Angela Wang moving on. It's great that she'll still be involved with skating. I wish she, and Tim the very best.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I just said in the Camden FF that I don’t understand the set up: I thought Tom Z., Christy and Tammy were part of the same coaching team?

In any event, if Camden follows the same trajectory as a certain other skater who left Tom Z. for Damon (whose initials were Josh Farris) wouldn’t *that* be wonderful?:)

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
In any event, if Camden follows the same trajectory as a certain other skater who left Tom Z. for Damon (whose initials were Josh Farris) wouldn’t *that* be wonderful?:)

*winces* Not...not, uh, the whole trajectory. That would not be wonderful.

el henry

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
*winces* Not...not, uh, the whole trajectory. That would not be wonderful.

I’m trying to ignore that last part:sad21: I thought he and Jason would be friendly artistic skating rivals forever :sad21:

mrrice

Record Breaker
I am totally THRILLED that Camden's leaving Tom Z. His skating hasn't progressed as it should, and this is a step in the right direction.

Who knows if Camden would have become the skater he is without Tom. I believe he needs better programs but, he has always been solid technically until this season. Maybe he and Tom aren't seeing eye to eye anymore and he's ready to move on. I hope it was an amicable split.

el henry

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Sean Rabbitt (who AFAIK has not officially announced his plans for the future) posted on IG about coaching and helping the male skaters at the USFS "Athlete Acceleration Summit".

In the photo with Sean are fellow mentors and coaches:

Camden Pulkinen, Andrew Torgashev, Jimmy Ma, Doug Razzano and even John Kerr:eek:

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bw0X9m4FuWv/

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Sean Rabbitt (who AFAIK has not officially announced his plans for the future) posted on IG about coaching and helping the male skaters at the USFS "Athlete Acceleration Summit".

In the photo with Sean are fellow mentors and coaches:

Camden Pulkinen, Andrew Torgashev, Jimmy Ma, Doug Razzano and even John Kerr:eek:

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bw0X9m4FuWv/

Plus Robin Szolkowy, who ain't exactly chopped liver. Surely he too is "even"-worthy and :eek:-worthy? Maybe it was an oversight.
(Szolkowy was not a Team USA man himself, but neither was Kerr, so that can't be the explanation.)

Unrelated comment: Dinh Tran seems to be the most recognizable of the men (non-mentors) attending.

I just said in the Camden FF that I don’t understand the set up: I thought Tom Z., Christy and Tammy were part of the same coaching team? ...

Yes and No, I think.

My understanding is that as fellow coaches of World Arena Skating Academy (along with others such as Damon and Dalilah), TZ, Christy, and Tammy work together to a significant extent for the benefit of a number of skaters.

But that is not the same as a skater having all three as concurrent coaches of record. Vincent is the only one in that category, AFAIK.

cohen-esque

Final Flight
Plus Robin Szolkowy, who ain't exactly chopped liver. Surely he too is "even"-worthy and :eek:-worthy? Maybe it was an oversight.
(Szolkowy was not a Team USA man himself, but neither was Kerr, so that can't be the explanation.)
It could also be that unlike the rest of the front row, Szolkowy isn’t tagged for easy ID. Although that might just be an oversight from Sean.

My understanding is that as fellow coaches of World Arena Skating Academy (along with others such as Damon and Dalilah), TZ, Christy, and Tammy work together to a significant extent for the benefit of a number of skaters.

But that is not the same as a skater having all three as concurrent coaches of record. Vincent is the only one in that category, AFAIK.
Is it sort of a TCC type setup? Or something else?

ice coverage

Record Breaker
… Is it sort of a TCC type setup? Or something else?

Although I don't claim to be an expert on either WASA or TCC, I think the general idea of a team approach is much the same?

For example: group classes (e.g., skating skills) open to all; some individual work with coaches other than one's own.

But again, I am no expert.

It could also be that unlike the rest of the front row, Szolkowy isn’t tagged for easy ID. Although that might just be an oversight from Sean. ...

Thanks :). Maybe Robin's face did not register this once (although el henry generally seems very conversant re pairs :cool:).

Anyway, great that the young skaters at the acceleration summit had access to Szolkowy/Kerr level of experience/expertise and inspiration.

And that these giants of pairs and dance perhaps could plant a seed for some young men's single skaters that the other disciplines are gratifying too.
ETA:
I mean in just a subliminal sort of way … something to which a skater might think back -- if down the road, he were to find himself pondering his future in singles. Not suggesting that I think that Robin or John were out there actively recruiting for pairs or dance.​

el henry

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
@Cohen-esque and @IceCoverage are both right: I saw Robin, but I completely forgot he had moved to California, so I had a nagging doubt:eek:: And then by the time I posted, I only went with the tags. I don't think I would have recognized John Kerr without them:hopelessness:

But the team of mentors and coaches, both international and national, looked mighty impressive, and what a great idea for all US skaters, including the men:cheer:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
With new coaches and a new perspective, Camden Pulkinen wants to ‘show improvement in all areas’

Among many other things in this extensive interview, he discusses his coaching change at length. Excerpts:

… in this past year, I felt like things weren’t really going as I would like in my skating, and I felt like I needed a new direction. Of course, it is nothing against him (Tom). I really have the upmost respect for him and he did phenomenal things with me, so I have nothing against him. We are still on great terms. He is just a master of teaching and I just want to put that out there, first and foremost.

... I decided to make the choice of Tammy Gambill and Damon Allen because I felt that both of their personalities are somewhat different. Tammy is very strict and Damon is a little softer, and I think it is good to have that check and balance of two coaches and me in the equation when we are discussing things about the season or things about any decisions we are going to make. It has so far been working very well. I think we have a really good connection between the three of us and for this next year, I’m just really excited to work in the off-season and see what happens in the future. ...

Regarding his calendar:

I think for now that I’m going to be doing the Peggy Fleming Trophy and the jump event [Aerial Challenge, both at the Broadmoor Open in late June], but I really don’t have any other competitions set for like a short program and free program. We kind of have to wait and see for Grand Prix [selection] and see what happens with that and then decide.

No music announcements (although he has chosen his choreographer and SP music).

ETA (on May 14):
@coachtomz even retweeted Figure Skaters Online's tweet publicizing this interview, which suggests that he too feels that Camden and he remain on good terms.​

ETA:
Claire Cloutier :bow: has published a new interview with Alex Johnson :luv17::

Lots of discussion about Alex's continuing involvement in skating as choreographer and coach.
Among other topics: his new full-time job in investment banking; his recent hip surgery to repair a torn labrum.

(And he mentions being in touch with Max :ghug: by text.)​

ETA (on May 16):

Alex Wellman has formed a new pair partnership, coached by Dalilah.

I assume that means Alex is leaving the men's discipline? His skating is gorgeous :luv17:, so a loss for U.S. men. :(

But a gain for U.S. pairs. :)
I wish him/them all the best.​

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Nathan is this year's winner of the prestigious Gustave Lussi Award. :bow:

Just announced tonight at the PSA conference:

Damon Allen and Christy Krall won Developmental Coach of the Year. :bow:

Tammy Gambill won Sonja Henie Award. :bow:

Shae-Lynne Bourne won Choreographer of the Year (Paul McGrath Award). :bow:

ETA (on May 24):

Photo of Tammy, Damon, Christy with their awards:

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bx2fjY5naFn/ (May 24)​

el henry

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
How is this upping his artistic game? Did he choreograph his own routines before I mean with do respect Alex Johnson is exactly known for choreo or wel developed and planned programs.

I’m not sure I understand your question?

Alex Johnson is of course one of the more artistic skaters that the US men have produced in recent years. I believe he did choreo for one of his programs, but he has also worked with some of the best.

Now of course, there is no guarantee that Alex J. would choreo a good program simply because he himself was artistic, but I believe there are much better odds that he could infuse his sensibility into a program than not. And Alex K., by broadening himself beyond Powerful and Jumper to perhaps include more of that artistic quotient, and including fun like Pharrell. :yes:

I still here for it:biggrin:

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Jason's seems more dynamic to me.

But wait, no-one's actually trying to make the argument that there's a more artistic US man than Jason Brown at the moment, are they?