2018-19 U.S. Men’s figure skating | Page 55 | Golden Skate

2018-19 U.S. Men’s figure skating

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Maybe because he didn't want to travel back and forth to Japan from the USA so close after worlds? Nathan stayed for SOI.

I agree Vincent looked especially strong, technically and artistically, at WTT. Is there any chance he moves to Hamada full time? Obviously, it's a big move, but he's improving and it shows. It will be interesting to see him pushing Nathan now. As we saw at WTT, even one mistake from Nathan leaves the door open when Vincent is clean. US men's skating is certainly strong at the moment!

One mistake from Nathan when he's skating an "easier" layout than he did say, at worlds. His WTT layout was 9+ points lower BV than at Worlds.

truthbooth

On the Ice
One mistake from Nathan when he's skating an "easier" layout than he did say, at worlds. His WTT layout was 9+ points lower BV than at Worlds.

Certainly. I don't think Vincent is capable of beating "full strength" Nathan yet. I would assert, though, that Vincent's rate of improvement is presently higher than Nathan's and could leave Nathan vulnerable to mistakes in a way that he was not in previous seasons. Vincent also has room to add 1-2 more quads in his free skate in addition to the 3 he attempted at WC and WTT. I think it's good for Nathan to feel some pressure domestically. He hasn't, really, in several years.

discode

Final Flight
Vincent did one more quad overall, on top of doing harder quads at WTT. And Nathan is not going to do 4Tx2, 3ax2 and a 4S and a one quad SP anywhere else. He's also pretty obviously ill and was vomiting on the day of the FS, on top of being jet lagged and exhausted.

And this tech panel was rather generous to everyone. He had 3 UR jumps at worlds 2 weeks ago. He didn't just magically fix those issues. He just didn't get called on them. He did well and I'm sure there will be more pressure on Nathan now, but this is not a case of one mistake and Vincent wins. He didn't win over him with a massively watered down skate and a mistake with Vincent skating the best he's ever skated in his life. But Vincent has pretty firmly established himself as the US's #2 man though, if there was ever any question about that.

As for adding quads, well I'm pretty sure Nathan can do that too :laugh:

alexaa

Final Flight
Nathan was vomiting after FP run through yesterday. He was visibly pressing his chest after the fp. He was suffering upper respiratory issues probably due to the cold/flu before the worlds. He didn’t even go to the exhibition practice today. He managed to come to the rink to cheer for teammates anyway while studying for exams in the meantime.

It is good to see Vincent doing well and motivate Nathan to push himself even harder, it would also help to relieve some pressure off him. It is just that as a fan, knowing what Nathan has been through these days, it is kinda hard to read about his performances at WTT.

Nathan commented on US men’s future in one of his press conferences or interviews. He is very positive about it mentioning Vincent, Jason and Tomoki doing very well.

century2009

On the Ice
I think Vincent has definitely improved. I would like to see what happens next year. It feels like he is a late boomer.

But lets see if Vincent can have a good run throughout a full season.

Nathan is firmly the #1 US men without question. If he continues his growth and dont take things for granted, he will sit there for a while. He is very very very strong.

I do think it is Nathan vs. Hanyu mens figure skating World (which is very very exciting for this sport. It is great to see such wonderful competitions).

With #3 a mix bag of who does well.

Vincent has grown but he still has a lot of work and reputation points to make a difference. But he is firmly the #2 US man.

The next year is very exciting for US men as they have great Juniors coming up. So can Vincent and Jason maintain?

snowflake

I enjoy what I like
Record Breaker
I think Vincent has definitely improved. I would like to see what happens next year. It feels like he is a late boomer.

Did you mean late bloomer? Or late boomer which is fine if it’s a word :)

But I’m mostly wondering about late. He’s 18 years old. He has lots of time to progress overall.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Nathan was vomiting after FP run through yesterday. He was visibly pressing his chest after the fp. He was suffering upper respiratory issues probably due to the cold/flu before the worlds. He didn’t even go to the exhibition practice today. He managed to come to the rink to cheer for teammates anyway while studying for exams in the meantime.

It is good to see Vincent doing well and motivate Nathan to push himself even harder, it would also help to relieve some pressure off him. It is just that as a fan, knowing what Nathan has been through these days, it is kinda hard to read about his performances at WTT.

Nathan commented on US men’s future in one of his press conferences or interviews. He is very positive about it mentioning Vincent, Jason and Tomoki doing very well.

He might be doing too much. When I used to work a bunch of double shifts at work, my immune system would eventually crash and I would get sick. My body could only take so much. Of course he's a highly trained athlete, but studying for exams at Yale AND skating in a competition? That's a LOT.

snowflake

I enjoy what I like
Record Breaker
After watching the exhibition, I sincerely hope that Team Vincent gives more than a passing thought to having Joshua do one or both of Vincent's competitive programs for the coming season. He seems to bring out something more than I have seen previously; something that could actually deserve the higher PCS for him.

Has Joshua done competitive programs for anyone? I would think it's harder than doing exhibition programs with a skater. Joshua is precious and I would love him as a choreographer if that what he is aiming for.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Has Joshua done competitive programs for anyone? I would think it's harder than doing exhibition programs with a skater. Joshua is precious and I would love him as a choreographer if that what he is aiming for.

Josh choreographed a competitive SP for Jimmy Ma that Jimmy loved.

After using it in competition at least once and still loving it, Jimmy reluctantly went back to an old SP. I hope karne will chime in to explain more.

It also would not surprise me if Josh has choreographed other competitive programs -- for "unseen" skaters (to borrow terminology from Sylvia :bow:) who are not on Jimmy's level in terms of recognizability.

I am really glad to see that Vincent's jumps are getting better and better and he is gaining physical strength. Does anyone know why he worked with Mie Hamada recently?

I can't tell whether you are aware that Vincent already had been working with Hamada in Colorado. (As well as continuing to work with his team of Colorado-based coaches.)

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
It was a free skate Joshua choreographed for Jimmy - and it was wonderful. There is video from Philly, I think.

However, at Champs Camp, the idiots at USFS decried it as "too modern" or "too popular music" and told him to change it, thus he went back to the Rach FS.

My not so secret dream would be to have Joshua choreograph something for Jason...but to have his choreography recognised for its brilliance would be a step forward in any case.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Did you mean late bloomer? Or late boomer which is fine if it’s a word :)

But I’m mostly wondering about late. He’s 18 years old. He has lots of time to progress overall.

Agreed. I think some of his jumps got lenience but in general he has improved. He just laid down two great competitions... in Japan. USFSA should push Vincent onto Chen's level (even if there is still a disparity) because they will only make each other that much stronger and give them greater ability to dominate the field. Great confidence building season for these two and way to put the skeptics on blast and show they are the real deal.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
It was a free skate Joshua choreographed for Jimmy - and it was wonderful. There is video from Philly, I think.

However, at Champs Camp, the idiots at USFS decried it as "too modern" or "too popular music" and told him to change it, thus he went back to the Rach FS.

My not so secret dream would be to have Joshua choreograph something for Jason...but to have his choreography recognised for its brilliance would be a step forward in any case.

Memory dims with age, so I don't recall everything about that LP that Josh choreographed... but I do remember it was far more interesting and attention-holding than Rach was for Jimmy.

I have, at best, a neutral opinion about Jimmy Ma, but it seemed to me that Josh's program was a much better fit. I'd have liked to see him grow into that program.

*Edit: I should have written "I have a neutral opinion about Jimmy's skating." I don't know him (I don't know any skaters), and I wouldn't want anyone to think I was judgmental about Jimmy personally.

Last edited:

hippomoomin

Record Breaker
Vincent is only 18, so I wouldn't call him a late boomer. He also placed 6th at the Olympics at 17, not to mention he won junior world title the year before.
His struggle with under rotation was probably related to his growth spurt. He is quite tall among the top male skaters.

But lets see if Vincent can have a good run throughout a full season.

Nathan is firmly the #1 US men without question. If he continues his growth and dont take things for granted, he will sit there for a while. He is very very very strong.

I do think it is Nathan vs. Hanyu mens figure skating World (which is very very exciting for this sport. It is great to see such wonderful competitions).

With #3 a mix bag of who does well.

Vincent has grown but he still has a lot of work and reputation points to make a difference. But he is firmly the #2 US man.

The next year is very exciting for US men as they have great Juniors coming up. So can Vincent and Jason maintain?

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
The future is looking very good for US men and Oly gold in 2022. The Dance is solid, Pairs is moving up and they should be able to surpass Canada. They have talent left and right in men and ladies. Nathan, Vincent and whoever for third are a tough team for men. I would say Jason but honestly if they are giving Nathan such hig pcs and Jason can't do a quad still I am fine with Jason staying home and giving someone else a chance.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Confirmed: Tim Dolensky will not be competing this year, because:

he has joined the cast of the skating show on the Symphony of the Seas:cool:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BwQkh8CFnId/. (the cast director showing around new hires, including Tim and Angela Wang and I don't recognize the third person)

As much as I love cruising, I have only been once on one of the "skating ships" and that was in the interregnum when I wasn't following skating. I may need to save up my pennies for a cruise out of Miami this year:yes:

No official word from Tim on retiring, so maybe he's planning a Tim LeDuc style return:biggrin:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
... (the cast director showing around new hires, including Tim and Angela Wang and I don't recognize the third person) ...

Third person is a U.S. singles skater who used to train in Colorado Springs (with Tom Z, iirc).

She has been posting stuff re Symphony of the Seas (including Timothy and Angela) for quite a few days now.

It was a free skate Joshua choreographed for Jimmy - and it was wonderful. ...

Ooooops :hopelessness:, sorry that I misremembered it as an SP.

Thanks for the informative post, karne. :thank:

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I've said all along that Vincent's biggest weakness in his skating was his speed and skating skills and it sounds like Hamada specializes in those things. No wonder why he has improved so much.