2018-19 U.S. Men’s figure skating | Page 49 | Golden Skate

2018-19 U.S. Men’s figure skating

Similarly, I’m curious about the apparent discrepancy in the 4CC tech panel’s calling of under rotations between the men’s short and long programs.

I have often wondered if the tech panels are deliberately more lenient for short programs than for long. The idea would be that you don't want to knock someone so far down in the SP that the LP becomes a foregone conclusion.

That seemed to be the case under 6.0 judging, too. A star skater who is a favorite for the podium but skated a bad short was often (so it seemed to me) held up to no worse than 4th or 5th in order to give him at least the possibility of redeeming himself in the long.

Last edited:

Tavi...

Record Breaker
I have often wondered if the tech panels are deliberately more lenient for short programs than for long. The idea would be that you don't want to knock someone so far down in the SP that the LP becomes a foregone conclusion.

That seemed to be the case under 6.0 judging, too. A star skater who is a favorite for the podium but skated a bad short was often (so it seemed to me) held up to no worse than 4th or 5th in order to give him at least the possibility of redeeming himself in the long.

That’s definitely plausible here. :)

gkelly

Record Breaker
I don't know if individual tech panel members ever take it on themselves to adjust their severity down or up depending whether they're calling short or long programs.

But the system itself is designed to be more punitive in the short program.

For example, if the ISU decision makers really wanted to keep more skaters in play for medals after the SP, they wouldn't have introduced the rule a few years ago that jumps with too few rotations in the SP get no value at all, as opposed to just -3 (now -5) GOE.

^ Yes, the rules are definite about mistakes on elements. There is nothing the tech panel or judges can do if the skater pops, falls, omits a requirement, etc.

But I still wonder about judgement calls on unclear edges and under-rotations. It seems possible that skaters get the benefit of the doubt more often in the short program? I think if I were an official I might have a subconscious feeling of, "OK, here we go. Let's get everybody off to a good start. On with the show!" Whereas the long, maybe I would be thinking, "Now its time to separate the men from the boys."

(Reason #5381 why I am not a figure skating judge.)

mrrice

Record Breaker
Does anyone know if Junior Worlds SP's will be televised? Thanks in advance.

mrrice

Record Breaker
I'm incredibly proud of the US Junior Men......They ALL made the final flight and Camden is sitting in first place after the Short. Bravo!

sheetz

Record Breaker
Junior men's is by far the most volatile discipline so I'd caution not to read too much into the SP standings. Anyone in the top 10 is still very much capable of making the podium.

mrrice

Record Breaker
Junior men's is by far the most volatile discipline so I'd caution not to read too much into the SP standings. Anyone in the top 10 is still very much capable of making the podium.

Let me be excited for 1 day. When was the last time we had 3 Men in the final flight?

Ross74

Medalist
Let me be excited for 1 day. When was the last time we had 3 Men in the final flight?

I don't know about final flight, but this make me think of 2013 when the U.S finished 1,2,3 in Jr Worlds with Josh, Jason, and Shotaro, and I don't think we've had even 2 on the podium since.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Do all 3 US Men age out of Juniors after this season? It might be slim pickings for the US Juniors for a couple of years until the younger guys improve and make a move.

mrrice

Record Breaker
Do all 3 US Men age out of Juniors after this season? It might be slim pickings for the US Juniors for a couple of years until the younger guys improve and make a move.

Good question. I know that Alexei will but, I don't know about the other men.

Koatterce

On the Ice
Country
Canada

Good question. I know that Alexei will but, I don't know about the other men.

Alexei is actually the youngest of the 3 (born in April, Camden in March and Tomoki in January)

So yes they will all age out

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Andrew T. does not age out:luv17: Although what he plans to do, I do not know.

I would not count out Dinh Tran or Ryan Dunk, they may not be world beaters next year, but they certainly have potential.