2018-19 U.S. Men’s figure skating | Page 52 | Golden Skate

2018-19 U.S. Men’s figure skating

Erin9

On the Ice
Congrats to Vincent on his first world medal! And congrats to Nathan on defending his title!! First time two Americans were on the podium since 1996!!!

Yep! And the first time an American male has won back to back world titles since Scott Hamilton in the early 1980s. (1981-84, I think.)

Erin9

On the Ice
Nathan has truly revolutionized US men's from a group of skaters know for great programs and skating but no quads to a powerhouse. Vincent is the result of Nathan's pushing the younger US men and it's now paid off with another US man on the podium who's even younger then him. :clap:

He really has. It’s incredible. It’s still amazing to me to see the state of US dance (which has been great for awhile now) and men’s skating. It’s really turned around.

The US ladies need a phenom to push them forward it seems.

Noxchild

Medalist
Country
Canada
Despite Jason's eventual placement he fought well, and with Nathan and Vincent medalling the competition for international spots is only going to get wilder next season as the junior men all rank up :drama: They ALL need to train like **** over the summer. Pretty exciting ;)

mrrice

Record Breaker
Despite Jason's eventual placement he fought well, and with Nathan and Vincent medalling the competition for international spots is only going to get wilder next season as the junior men all rank up :drama: They ALL need to train like **** over the summer. Pretty exciting ;)

I agree. This was such an exciting event for our Men. I haven't been this excited in quite a while. Congratulations to Nathan on your back to back Championships. Congratulations to Vincent on your first Senior World Medal. Both skaters are quite young and this really bodes well for the future of our Men. I'm so incredibly proud.

Seren

Wakabond Forever
Record Breaker
I think all 3 US men have a lot of positives to take away from the event. Even though Jason did not skate the free program he wanted- there is still so much improvement in his skating. While the axel wasn’t there today it looks so much stronger overall. I think he exceeded expectations this year. I’m looking forward to what another off season of training in Toronto will bring.

Casual

On the Ice
I agree. This was such an exciting event for our Men. I haven't been this excited in quite a while. Congratulations to Nathan on your back to back Championships. Congratulations to Vincent on your first Senior World Medal. Both skaters are quite young and this really bodes well for the future of our Men. I'm so incredibly proud.

I don't feel proud (as I had nothing to do with it), but I feel incredibly pleased. Because I always loved how Nathan pushed Vincent in particular, and the US men in general, to improve and strive for brilliance.

If it weren't for intense national competition with quad dominance, I don't think Jason would have upped his game either. So here's to team USA - great job by all, and keep improving! :thumbsup:

CellarDweller

Ice Time
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Congrats to all three of our American men!

I hope Jason is able to get a quad down pat soon. He's an amazing artist. I'd love to see the technical side match it!

century2009

On the Ice
Nathan has truly revolutionized US men's from a group of skaters know for great programs and skating but no quads to a powerhouse. Vincent is the result of Nathan's pushing the younger US men and it's now paid off with another US man on the podium who's even younger then him. :clap:

I agree. Nathan has really transformed the US to this powerhouse.

These Worlds has shown how Nathan has push his teammates to challenge and be more difficult.

Vincent pushing for quads and artistry is trying to compete for that top spot. And improve his UR and artistry (to be far, he is).

Jason is really trying for those quads to close that gap he lacks to be a podium contender.

Tomoki as the World Junior Champ now knows as Senior he needs to push for clean execution and more quads.

Camden knows to add the quads if he is even to make any noise with the Top guys.

Alex knows that he will need to work hard to bring back the quads and improve artistically.

Nathan has really shown that the US is a force and making his teammate push further now that they have a leader to lead them in the sports.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Nathan is super humble praising both Jason and Yuzu at the SP press conference, so I think Nathan feels Jason provides something to the men’s field too, both to the U.S. and internationally.
A champion and leader still learns from others, even those are “below” them.

Nathan definitely is a leader and I credit him for pushing the us men technically. Nathan really did amazing and he indeed made the U.S. proud.

Overall a good championship for our men! Great job to all!

Last edited:

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
nathan is a very gifted/talented skater no question. Great disciplne to do so well, improve artisitcally (though a lot overarked pc wise). He is classy though a bit boring with his Blaock costuems still unbeatable. With Vincent, Brown and up and comers men's skating is amazing in the US

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
After watching the exhibition, I sincerely hope that Team Vincent gives more than a passing thought to having Joshua do one or both of Vincent's competitive programs for the coming season. He seems to bring out something more than I have seen previously; something that could actually deserve the higher PCS for him.

But there is still no universe in which Vincent is only a point lower than Jason in PCS; and no universe in which a perfect Jason is bested by Chen in PCS. The GOE change may have corrected some things but as long as PCS remains tied to repuation/TES then actually wonderful skaters like Jason - or like Joshua would have been - will always be disadvantaged.

century2009

On the Ice
After watching the exhibition, I sincerely hope that Team Vincent gives more than a passing thought to having Joshua do one or both of Vincent's competitive programs for the coming season. He seems to bring out something more than I have seen previously; something that could actually deserve the higher PCS for him.

But there is still no universe in which Vincent is only a point lower than Jason in PCS; and no universe in which a perfect Jason is bested by Chen in PCS. The GOE change may have corrected some things but as long as PCS remains tied to repuation/TES then actually wonderful skaters like Jason - or like Joshua would have been - will always be disadvantaged.

Jason did make major errors in the FS so no surprised because his PCs is limited now under the new rule. No more Patrick Chan problem.

Chen deserved his lead over Jason in PCs as it has been because Jason's program is very easy. He is not challenging anyone, while Chen is risking it and landing them well. And Chen deserved his PCs. He worked hard and his skating skills have grown a lot.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
But we have a new problem. TES beign worth probably more than they ever were. And the pcs do not have much distinguishment. Chen has improved ut should not be near Brown even on a bad day for Brown. But the pcs difference is not much now. And Tes are tied so much so ifyou are a jumper for example well you really can benefit fromt he tie to pcs and GOEs which favors Nathan and not so much a Brown. Jason is a lovely skater but he is not the quaity of Chan and then you have to count we are all hoping he lands a quad but a single quad is not much. This is not 2010.

Tavi...

Record Breaker
Jason did make major errors in the FS so no surprised because his PCs is limited now under the new rule. No more Patrick Chan problem.

Chen deserved his lead over Jason in PCs as it has been because Jason's program is very easy. He is not challenging anyone, while Chen is risking it and landing them well. And Chen deserved his PCs. He worked hard and his skating skills have grown a lot.

I think Nathan absolutely deserved to win and I agree that Jason’s errors and the shakiness of his program overall impacted his PCS. But no skater deserves high PCS solely because he’s doing difficult jumps. The amount of risk/reward is already reflected in the base value of the jumps and the higher GOE they can earn. For example, Nathan earned 16+ points for a solo 4Lz with +4 GOE. PCS tries to measure and reward something entirely different. The rules don’t provide for a bump for technical difficulty, nor should they.

By the way, I’m not sure where you get the idea that Jason’s programs are “very easy” simply because his jump difficulty is lower. Jumps aren’t the only thing that makes a program difficult.

Casual

On the Ice

Vincent is naturally musical, he has raw artistic talent - and that was obvious way back when everyone was dismissing him as "purely technician but boring". His natural musicality was mostly overlooked because his technical content was so high, and he wasn't flashy; but it was there.

His artistry will blossom with experience. Just as it happened with Nathan. Nathan was also reserved (while brilliant technically), but the natural talent for musicality was obvious from the get go.

So I wouldn't dismiss Vincent (vs. Jason) just yet. :biggrin: A young un' will catch up with an oldy, give it time.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Just a word about Vincent: after he won the US Junior Championship in 2013 at age 12, he was missing from competition for two years due to an injury that required surgery. For a time, there was doubt that he would be able to return to figure skating at all. He finally returned in the 2015-2016 JGP and made the JGPF that year, then placed 5th at 2016 JW. He competed as a Senior at 2016 Nationals and placed 8th. In the next season, he worked hard to acquire a quad, and won silver at 2017 Senior Nationals, then won the 2017 JW Championship.

After being away from figure skating for two years, he made a remarkable recovery and gained back and added to his skills in an incredibly short time. In the past months, he has turned his determination and effort to fixing his URs, and his skating was much improved at Worlds this year. At 18, his future seems brighter than ever.