2018-19 U.S. Men’s figure skating | Golden Skate

2018-19 U.S. Men’s figure skating

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
This OP will be filled out later, but here's a quick update including that USFS has released it's International Selection Pool for 2018-2019
http://usfigureskating.org/story?id=84156&menu=TeamUSA

Jason Brown (S6)
Nathan Chen (S1)
Timothy Dolensky (S7)
Ryan Dunk (J4)
Goku Endo (N1)
Patrick Frohling (J10)
Tomoki Hiwatashi (S12)
Grant Hochstein (S5)
Nicholas Hsieh (N3)
Alexander Johnson (S8)
Joseph Kang (N2 in 2017, didn't compete in 2018)
Aleksei Krasnozhon (S10)
Max Lake (N2)
Tony Lu (J5)
Ross Miner (S2)
Maxim Naumov (J3)
Camden Pulkinen (J1)
Adam Rippon (S4)
Eric Sjoberg (WD from juniors, IIRC)
Andrew Torgashev (S13)
Dinh Tran (J2)
Alex Wellman (J6)
Jonathan Yang (N8)
Paul Yeung (J7)
Vincent Zhou (S3)

With his name not being in the ISP, it does appear that Max Aaron is moving on, though no formal announcement has been made. However Grant Hochstein and Ross Miner, who were presumed to be retiring, are still on the list, though their names could be removed later.

Last edited:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
... With his name not being in the ISP, it does appear that Max Aaron is moving on, though no formal announcement has been made. ...

Ohhhhhh. :sad4:

My consolation is that Max's skating career has been only one of the successful chapters in his life. :bow:
With many additional accomplishments and adventures to come -- outside of skating.

But I will miss Skater Max terribly. :sad4: :ghug:

ETA:

If anyone would like to catch Skater Max :luv17: in his upcoming club shows:

ETA:

Random mention (unrelated to Max) that USFS Jump On It! Camp is coming up this week.

This year's dates: Apr 19 to 21.​

ETA (on Apr 18):

Turns out that Max *is* involved in the 2018 edition of Jump On It! :yay: (as he was in both previous years of the camp).

Details below (in post #13).​

mrrice

Record Breaker
Do you guys think that Aleksei Krasnozhon will make a mark in Seniors this year? I still think Nathan and Vincent are locks to stay on top but, the third position is up for grabs. It should belong to Jason but, unless he gets a solid quad, I see him being passed over.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Do you guys think that Aleksei Krasnozhon will make a mark on the Senior Podium? I still think Nathan and Vincent are locks to stay on top but, the third position is up for grabs. It should belong to Jason but, unless he gets a solid quad, I see him being passed over.

It's never too early to talk about 2019 Nats.;)

I am not so sure (and I think this is a good thing) that the USFS ignores superior artistry for quads. They put Adam Rippon on the Olympic team, and Adam's quads in competition are about as consistent than Jason's, as in not. Jason simply had a horrid, no-good, very bad FS at Nats that took him out of consideration for the podium.

I think Vincent will need to "earn" the podium, I do not see him as a lock. I love my wild jumper Alexei, but I certainly don't see him as a lock either.

We all know there is one lock, and his initials are Nathan Chen:biggrin:

What exactly is the significance of this list? Does it mean that these are the skaters that are eligible for assignments to international competitions? Are these the skaters that will receive USFSA funding?

Question for speakers of Chinese. How is Nickolas Hsieh pronounced?

Go Ross Miner. I will be surprised if w he competes next season, but you never know.

Koatterce

On the Ice
Country
Canada

Hsieh is an alternate anglicized spelling of the last name Xie (Mandarin), which would be pronounced like a mix of See-eh and Shee-eh (not as strong of a "sh" sound as used in english usually). But I'm not exactly sure if that's how you'd pronounce it in English since sometimes it's pretty different

el henry

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
What exactly is the significance of this list? Does it mean that these are the skaters that are eligible for assignments to international competitions? Are these the skaters that will receive USFSA funding?

Go Ross Miner. I will be surprised if w he competes next season, but you never know.

I am not a speaker of Chinese. But according to this article from the Wilmington News Journal, Nicholas pronounces his last name "Shay", or at least I am assuming that is where the author got the pronunication.

Delaware still prime training ground for skaters with Olympic dreams

littlesnow

Rinkside
I am Chinese American and I think the pronounciation is more like “shee-eh” but more subtle than that. My friend is named Xie and she tells non-Chinese to pronounce it “sheh.” Hsieh is Taiwanese or Hong Kong version of Xie I think.

Koatterce

On the Ice
Country
Canada
I am Chinese American and I think the pronounciation is more like “shee-eh” but more subtle than that. My friend is named Xie and she tells non-Chinese to pronounce it “sheh.” Hsieh is Taiwanese or Hong Kong version of Xie I think.

It's Taiwanese. Hong Kong uses the Cantonese anglicization which is Tse.

shine

Record Breaker
I just hope Andrew Torgashev somehow gets his jumps together (including a couple of quads) so he can rise to the top in the next year or two. Him and Nathan as US number 1 and 2 would be my dream.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Wait ... 2018 Jump On It! Camp *is* related to Max. :yay:

(I have updated/corrected my post above ;).)

Max will be on Facebook Live tomorrow night (Apr 19) with Mariah Bell.

My guess is that they are giving the keynote speech?

Max gave the keynote speech for the very first year of the camp in 2016.
Plus he was a team leader for the 2016 and 2017 camps.

@USFigureSkating

We're kicking off Jump On It! Camp tomorrow at 9:30 p.m. ET with a Facebook Live with birthday girl @MariahSk8rBell and @MaxTAaron! ...

10:47 AM - 18 Apr 2018
https://twitter.com/USFigureSkating/status/986662558168838144

(Nathan and Karen gave the keynote in 2017.)

el henry

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I just hope Andrew Torgashev somehow gets his jumps together (including a couple of quads) so he can rise to the top in the next year or two. Him and Nathan as US number 1 and 2 would be my dream.

Me either....

Well, I'm not Nathan's biggest fan, but I have absolutely no doubt he'll be No. 1 on the USA podium absent a Skating Apocalypse...

But so much Andrew T love :clap::hap10:

Let's hope Andrew' smove to full time training in Colorado sets him up for bigger things this upcoming season:luv17:

Well, I'm not Nathan's biggest fan, but I have absolutely no doubt he'll be No. 1 on the USA podium absent a Skating Apocalypse...

Nathan has rubbed the ISU's nose in its own deficiencies. He has shown that the only thing that counts is doing six quads. No one at the ISU thought that this was possible; I think they were caught off guard the same as us and now face a dilemma that will have them scrambling for the next couple of years. JMO.

noskates

Record Breaker
After watching Camden Pulkinen win Jr. Nationals last year I predict we're going to see a lot of him on podiums in the years to come. He has style and isn't all just about the jumps. He has musicality and he's fun to watch. Don't know if he's going up to Srs this year or not.

shine

Record Breaker

But so much Andrew T love :clap::hap10:

Let's hope Andrew' smove to full time training in Colorado sets him up for bigger things this upcoming season:luv17:
But I must say I'm not particularly happy with the fact he's appears to have enlisted Scott Brown to choreograph again. His programs have been quite sub par up to this point and I've been underwhelmed with the music choices. I was hoping it would be Tom Dickson.

frida80

Record Breaker
Nathan has rubbed the ISU's nose in its own deficiencies. He has shown that the only thing that counts is doing six quads. No one at the ISU thought that this was possible; I think they were caught off guard the same as us and now face a dilemma that will have them scrambling for the next couple of years. JMO.

This is amusing, actually. When they first designed IJS and found that Tim Goebel would win because of his quads, they lowered the value. Then after Evan won over Plushy who actually had a quad, they increased the value. Now Nathan has learned how to take advantage of that, al the system must be changed again.

Now I don't think Nathan is he only reason they are devaluing quads. All season long people have wondered why skaters that fell won over skaters that were clean. But I do find it amusing that three US skaters have somehow forced ISU into changing their scoring system.

^ I know, right?

I actually feel for the ISU's dilemma. Figure skating is a sport. Sports means jumping. Jumping up and spinning four times is better than jumping up and spinning three times. Therefore, the ISU doesn't have any choice but to give out the highest point values for quads.

But as soon as you do that, someone will come along and say, "Hey, I get it. If you want points, do quads." Then the ISU has to backtrack and say, "No, no, that's not what we meant."

I guess that's what makes this crazy sport so wonderful. :)

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
But I must say I'm not particularly happy with the fact he's appears to have enlisted Scott Brown to choreograph again. His programs have been quite sub par up to this point and I've not been overwhelmed with the music choices. I was hoping it would be Tom Dickson.

Or Phillip Mills.