Hawayek and Baker to Train in Montreal | Golden Skate

Hawayek and Baker to Train in Montreal

ximianK

Rinkside
Official release from USFS

COLORADO SPRINGS, Colorado (April 20, 2018) – Kaitlin Hawayek and Jean-Luc Baker announced today they will begin training with Marie France Dubreuil and Patrice Lauzon this summer in Montreal, Canada. The team had trained under Pasquale Camerlengo and Angelika Krylova in Bloomfield Hills, Michigan since 2012.

“We are incredibly grateful for everything that Pasquale and Angelika and the rest of our team in Detroit have done for us over the past six years,” Hawayek said. “They’ve given us invaluable lessons and helped us grow as skaters immensely.”

“As this new season begins, we are incredibly excited to be joining Marie France and Patrice and their team at Gadbois and starting this next chapter of our careers in Montreal,” Baker continued.

In 2018, Hawayek and Baker won the U.S. pewter medal, won gold at Four Continents and finished 10th at the World Championships.

They will be training alongside fellow Americans Madison Hubbell and Zachary Donohue.

Anyasnake

Record Breaker
Already expected. Great for them.

Montreal coaches have half of the top Canadian teams, one half of the top Spanish teams, 2/3 of the Japanese Ice Dance podiums and now 2/3 of the best US teams (not counting Shibs because they'll sit out this season) and the top 2 French teams.
I suspect they are not taking anyone else this quad.

ximianK

Rinkside
My head hurts trying to imagine how they be able to manage all these teams and keep them all in top competitive form. Let alone come up with programs and choreographs distinct and customized to take advantage of each team's strength

Anyasnake

Record Breaker
My head hurts trying to imagine how they be able to manage all these teams and keep them all in top competitive form. Let alone come up with programs and choreographs distinct and customized to take advantage of each team's strength

They have the same number of teams as this year (and last year) : 2 left (R/F from Spain and V/M), 2 joined (H/B and K/K from JPN). I think they won't add anymore team, but want a full set of teams from 2018 to 2022 from the beginning to the end of the quad. I think it's 17 teams total (and at least 4 or 5 different coaches).

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
Not surprised, but...disappointed to be honest. Maybe it will change.

Hope they will find what they are expecting/hoping for though. If there will be an interesting material given highlighting THEM, not the school style AND they will gain more competitive confidence (Kaitlin especially), then the move has potential. And hopefully their great basics developed under Krylova/Camerlengo won't be lost, but explored under various music types/aesthetics.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I see H/B making a big push for the 2022 Olympics. To be honest it would be boring if the same 3 US Ice Dance teams went to Beijing that were in Pyeongchang. I see H/B passing up C/B sometime in the next couple years they now have the coaching and youth on their side if Kaitlin can stop being a nervous competitor.

Lester

Piper and Paul are made of magic dust and unicorns
Final Flight
I am a little tired of the Gadboisation of dance already. I really hoped Hawayek and Baker will finally find their own style but with this move I am concerned "generically lovely" will continue to be what they do.

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I am a little tired of the Gadboisation of dance already. I really hoped Hawayek and Baker will finally find their own style but with this move I am concerned "generically lovely" will continue to be what they do.

But, like, aren't they already doing that style? Nothing would be changing in that respect. They've done Liebesträume the past two seasons, The Theory of Everything, and Romeo and Juliet before that. That seems to be what they like. And most people seemed to love their FD. It's not "Gadboisation" if it's already their style.

And besides, this past season, their teams almost all had quite different FDs. Moulin Rouge! (V/M), Moonlight Sonata (P/C), Blues (H/D), Jazzy/Cheek to Cheek (S/F), the Queen medley (L/LG), the flamenco (FB/S), etc. And all the top teams brought their own ideas for their FDs this season. So if H/B want to explore another style, they can.

Lester

Piper and Paul are made of magic dust and unicorns
Final Flight
But, like, aren't they already doing that style? Nothing would be changing in that respect. They've done Liebesträume the past two seasons, The Theory of Everything, and Romeo and Juliet before that. That seems to be what they like. And most people seemed to love their FD. It's not "Gadboisation" if it's already their style.

And besides, this past season, their teams almost all had quite different FDs. Moulin Rouge! (V/M), Moonlight Sonata (P/C), Blues (H/D), Jazzy/Cheek to Cheek (S/F), the Queen medley (L/LG), the flamenco (FB/S), etc. And all the top teams brought their own ideas for their FDs this season. So if H/B want to explore another style, they can.

Yes, exactly, it's the style they are going nowhere with.

They all had nominally different FDs: in reality most of them were a total edgeless snooze, excluding the two top teams. I don't know if style is the correct term, maybe it's the approach, but in any case, there is a fog of uninspired sameness around that camp [and sublime skating skills, of course, but still].

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker

They all had nominally different FDs: in reality most of them were a total edgeless snooze, excluding the two top teams. I don't know if style is the correct term, maybe it's the approach, but in any case, there is a fog of uninspired sameness around that camp [and sublime skating skills, of course, but still].

:agree:

What people tend to forget is that the top two programs out of Montreal last year were primarily choreographed NOT by Marie-France and Patrick. The ones that were all tend to blur together in a haze of mushy soft-focus.

Slow death by mush.

Doris, we're gonna need that Nasty Divorce Program more than ever...

Disappointing news.

keasus

On the Ice
:agree:

What people tend to forget is that the top two programs out of Montreal last year were primarily choreographed NOT by Marie-France and Patrick. The ones that were all tend to blur together in a haze of mushy soft-focus.

Slow death by mush.

Doris, we're gonna need that Nasty Divorce Program more than ever...

Disappointing news.

I hope Jean-Luc is more adventurous than the current male dancers at Gadbois (he certainly has the talent and versatility).

apgold

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The "official" word about their move is on the USFS site.

KAITLIN HAWAYEK AND JEAN-LUC BAKER TO TRAIN IN MONTREAL
(4/20/18) – Kaitlin Hawayek and Jean-Luc Baker announced today they will begin training with Marie France Dubreuil and Patrice Lauzon this summer in Montreal, Canada. The team trained had under Pasquale Camerlengo and Angelika Krylova in Bloomfield Hills, Michigan since 2012.

“We are incredibly grateful for everything that Pasquale and Angelika and the rest of our team in Detroit have done for us over the past six years,” Hawayek said. “They’ve given us invaluable lessons and helped us grow as skaters immensely.”

“As this new season begins, we are incredibly excited to be joining Marie France and Patrice and their team at Gadbois and starting this next chapter of our careers in Montreal,” Baker continued.

In 2018, Hawayek and Baker won the U.S. pewter medal, won gold at Four Continents and finished 10th at the World Championships.

lauravvv

Medalist
Country
Latvia

I disagree. Yes, the FDs done in Montreal are not particularly "edgy", voidy or/and original, but that doesn't automatically mean that they are all the same. There are many possible styles non of which are "edgy". All of the FDs mentioned by SnowWhite had different moods and choreographic nuances appropriate for the used music. Also, to me, none of them were "mush", the term that I personally associate with sweet, vanilla love themed programs to soft music and with soft, airy and flowing choreography - which is actually not a bad thing when done well. Gadbois have definitely done quite a lot of that. The teams mentioned have either done that before or have some of those qualities in general.

For instance, Papadakis/Cizeron always have that airy and flowing quality, but their themes and overall performance, especially in the last two seasons, don't allow me to call them mushy. Hubbell/Donohue did a "mushy" FD in the 2016/2017 season, but their last one to blues was sultry and stylish. Fournier-Beaudry/Sorensen had a distinctly flamenco themed FD, also in choreography, even though it was not completely traditional. Their rare elegance, detailed choreography and the way how they used their arms/hands, upper bodies and her skirt + their music choices for a flamenco themed program made them stand out to me and made their FD quite unforgettable. They definitely were not "mushy" in my eyes. The first half of Virtue/Moir's FD was even somewhat edgy and really far from mushy. The second half was, in turn, somewhat mushy, but more similar to what they had done before, rather than to the Gadbois style - it was all them. As for Soucisse/Firus - yes, it could even be called vanilla, but it was a real dance program, again with a rich and distinct choreo corresponding to the music, and a totally different mood from all the other FDs mentioned. I think one has to be either very biased or blind/totally not paying attention to say that this FD in particular was in any way similar to any other FD choreographed in Gadbois for this past season. Finally, as for Lauriault/Le Gack, their FD was a bit lacking in that distinctive choreo that would make it stand out more, but the music, their elements and performance which, despite them being a couple off the ice, was not very lovey-dovey, still created a different mood/feeling from the rest.

I think Smart/Diaz were the closest to mush from the more visible Gadbois senior teams this past season. Their FD was somewhat similar to H/D's, but, yes, definitely more "mushy" instead of sultry and stylish.

Not to even mention the SDs all of which were different.

Also, you are right about the approach. There are similarities in the skating of the majority of Gadbois teams - that flow is almost always used and emphasized to the max. The Gadbois team also really love choreo and elements where everything flows from one thing into the next. That may make everything feel a bit more samey. Still, it's not to the point were it doesn't allow to create distinct choreo for each FD according to the music used.

xox

On the Ice
Another penny may drop. Word is Chock and Bates are joing Gadbois as well....!!!!