Eating problems? | Golden Skate

Eating problems?

GracieGoldIsBAE

Rinkside
So um i have a problem with eating and skating. If i eat in less than few hours before i go to the ice, i can barely hold it "down" when i start skating. Its kinda annoying, because if i dont eat like 2 hours before i start skating, i get super hungry during the 3-4 hour sessions.

Am i the only one facing this problem?._.

treesprite

Final Flight
Sounds like a question for a nutritionist.

Your definition of hunger makes a difference in the answering of the question. I know I'm hungry when I'm having symptoms of low blood sugar. Cravings or impulses to eat at certain times out of habit or associations with activities, are not necessarily the body saying it needs fuel. If I didn't stay aware of this, I'd be eating all the time.

Mussique

On the Ice
My brother had a problem like this with doing intense cardio. Now he usually doesn't do exercise until 1,30 or something like that after his meals, and keeps small high-calorie pieces for when he gets hungry in the middle of the activity (for example a protein bar or macadamia nuts)
But definitely consult a nutritionist!

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Please talk to your parents and a medical professional.

vlaurend

Final Flight
Most people can't eat right before skating. I eat 2 hours before skating and I make sure it's something that is not spicy or greasy, usually oatmeal or yogurt. I can also get away with eating a banana just half an hour before skating, since it's easy on the stomach. To keep hydrated and keep my blood sugar from dropping, I sip diluted Gatorade during and after skating (I buy the powder and make it half as strong as suggested. You can also buy bottled Gatorade and dilute it 50-50 with water).

concorde

Medalist
Diluting Gatorade is an outdated approach.
The new recommendation is to bring both a bottle of water and Gatorade and then alternate between the two. Whether or not that is practical is something else.

likevelvet

#Bless this mess
On the Ice
Country
United-States
I wonder if you're not eating the right things?

Eating heavy (i.e. a full meal) pre-workout never works out too well. I second the water, oatmeal, fruit thing; that's what I usually go with. I also like granola and trail mix and those are easy things to keep in my skate bag. Eat really light before and during practice and drink lots of water, in short bursts.

I used to have this problem because I bus to my rink and it's a good 45 minutes. If I ate immediately before leaving, I'd be too weighed down to focus. If I ate, say, two hours before I got on the bus (early afternoon on the weekends, so I'd eat around lunchtime) I'd be hungry by the time I got there. It was all balance and trial and error to get it right for me. And yes, asking a nutritionist can't hurt.

Sk8DSmom

Rinkside
If you're doing 3 - 4 hour sessions, I hope you are taking at least a nutrition break 1/2 way through and a physical break out of your skates for 10-15 min's.

I've learned with my DS is :
- Foods that you want to finish eating 3 hrs or more before going on the ice should include carbs and proteins that will keep you fuller longer which can include meat, eggs, oatmeal, etc.
- nothing heavy in the 1 -2 hours before going on the ice
- Your nutrition break should include proteins, carbs and maybe something for a quick energy boost ie. fruits, banana, if possible something like a tuna wrap, PBJ, soft/hard boiled egg, etc.
- eat something every 2 - 3 hours (minimum) during training

Good luck on finding something that works for you.

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
The new recommendation is to bring both a bottle of water and Gatorade and then alternate between the two. Whether or not that is practical is something else.

I don't see a great deal of difference between diluted gatorade and alternating between gatorade and water. Unless you're waiting hours between drinks for you stomach to empty, doesn't it just turn into diluted gatorade in your stomach?

concorde

Medalist
I don't see a great deal of difference between diluted gatorade and alternating between gatorade and water. Unless you're waiting hours between drinks for you stomach to empty, doesn't it just turn into diluted gatorade in your stomach?

We were told it throws off the recommended ratios that the body needs. But I get your point.

Chocolate milk also had the recommended ratios. How many people would say it is ok to separately eat a chocolate bar and a glass of milk to reach the desired ratios?

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
We were told it throws off the recommended ratios that the body needs. But I get your point.

Chocolate milk also had the recommended ratios. How many people would say it is ok to separately eat a chocolate bar and a glass of milk to reach the desired ratios?

I googled it to see why people are recommending separate liquids, but didn't find much.

I did find some reasons on a hiking forum, though they are practical rather than nutritional:
- shouldn't put diluted liquids (anything but water) in a camelback or similar container, as they are hard to wash and can grow mold. If you separate your liquids, you can still use your camelback for the water component.
- it's good to have some pure water if you need it for washing cuts, etc

I actually ran into the last problem when one of our party was having heat stroke/exhaustion on a hiking trip and I wanted to bathe her forehead with water. I just used the diluted lemonade I had, but soaked my glove in it and applied it that way to avoid pouring sticky stuff all over her.

concorde

Medalist
I got my information from US figure skating and they were really stressed getting the correct ratios.

Sk8DSmom

Rinkside
I got my information from US figure skating and they were really stressed getting the correct ratios.

That being said.. there are a lot of extra sugars in Gatorade type products and depending on age/weight, it may be wise to water it down for the younger skaters.
I seriously cringe when prepubescent kids are drinking it for sessions < 2 hours total (off ice/on ice included) and not working hard.

It's better to DIY your own electrolyte drink -usually orange juice , water and salt -I can't remember ratio but you should easily find this on the web somewhere.

tothepointe

On the Ice
You might also want to try a clear protein drink like Isopure. I have a sensitive stomach in the morning and don't like to eat anything until well after noon. So I use a combo of thin protein drinks or Isopure which is like gatorade but for protein instead of electrolytes. This I do dilute that though.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I drink electrolyte water before after and during skating. Brands like lifewater or smartwater.

VegMom

On the Ice
I think anyone doing any kind of exercise for 3-4 hours would need/want some sort of meal break. When I cycled I would bring energy cubes (essentially just sugar) to eat while on long rides because we didn’t stop. But when I do other exercise with breaks I stop and have a smoothie or quick snack.

For me, smoothies stay down better before exercising. Nothing an hour before exercising. I often like to eat a real meal immediately after working out.

My skater can eat almost any time anywhere, no issues. But he has to be reminded to eat or drink when skating because the skate passion is fairly all-consuming.

But see a doctor to be on the safe side. It might not be the skating - maybe you’re ill.

Last edited by a moderator:

Girlbird

On the Ice

Just dilute the gatorade... it's the same thing, in the end.