2018-19 Chinese figure skating | Page 21 | Golden Skate

2018-19 Chinese figure skating

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
INterestng that Savchenko is working with the Chinese I say that because if she is truly planning to return isn't there a conflict of interest? I never understood how in the long term plans it was great to use her as a coach if you didn't know how long she would stick around and more important as a coach how good is she?

Nirti

Medalist
I think the Chinese are doing just fine. They have improved in dance and now have a team that could be top ten. They have a medal contender in men's and are in the battle for gold in pairs. They also have a lady or even two that are top ten or could be top ten. This all bodes well for the olympic team event in Bejing. Certainly a medal is forseeable. With the fall of Canada or at least apparent fall right it should ensure China a team medal.

- According to the scores of the beginning of this season, Wang/Liu would be 14th at Worlds, far from the 10th position.
- With his 19th place at last worlds, Boyang Jin shows too much inconsistency. And after Han Yan's retirement/exclusion from Chinese Fed, he's alone.
- 22th at OG, 26 at last Worlds... Xiangning Li is far far away from the podium and we don't know if she will continue to skate singles. And the only other competitive senior skater this season, Hongyi Chen, still doesn't have the TES for Worlds.
- With 2 of 3 pairs often injured and doing only half-seasons, the next OG are uncertain...

Before hoping for a team medal, China should first advance to the free skating.
Still wondering why this absence of strategy from the Chinese Fed for 2022...

HoneyBear

On the Ice
This doesn’t make any sense....
Did they leave the national team because of her injury? We’re they kicked out? Why weren’t there any announcements?

It's all very fuzzy in China now. Peng/Jin is the only one who's definitely training in Shen/Zhao's base at the moment. Boyang and Yu/Zhang are not with Shen/Zhao.

Mdk0144

On the Ice
It's all very fuzzy in China now. Peng/Jin is the only one who's definitely training in Shen/Zhao's base at the moment. Boyang and Yu/Zhang are not with Shen/Zhao.

I personally think training out of s/z could be a breakthrough for y/z, because I actually don’t think s/z are smart coaches that come up with reasonable strategies. Out of the national team this year, y/z tried a new choreographer, done some work with savchenko (which is definitely a bit weird considering Zhang had competed more than 10 years against Savchenko). Not all new moves make positive results, but at least it’s worth it bcz the national team almost always stuck with Lori Nichol for the top tier pairs recently.

Btw, anyone has some information about w/w withdrawing golden spin?

yqs100

On the Ice
Saw some people said Shen/ Zhao are not smart coaches... well, then who else are? Don’t even mention that they brought Sui/ Han from a very rough pair to a top pair with mature character and skating skills.

yqs100

On the Ice
Update update:

1. Sui/ Han had an exhibition show in Shanghai a few days ago, everything looks good! Can’t wait to see them in 4CC.

2. Xiangning Li is injuries badly, there is chance that we may not see the new pair - Li / Xie again 😢

3. Yu/Zhang confirmed, will be at the national champions at end of Dec. Really hope the Chinese can cut the drama and get Yu/Zhang back to the national team!!

s_parks

Record Breaker
Update update:

1. Sui/ Han had an exhibition show in Shanghai a few days ago, everything looks good! Can’t wait to see them in 4CC.

2. Xiangning Li is injuries badly, there is chance that we may not see the new pair - Li / Xie again ��

3. Yu/Zhang confirmed, will be at the national champions at end of Dec. Really hope the Chinese can cut the drama and get Yu/Zhang back to the national team!!

Oh no, super bummed for Xiangning, hope it's not too serious, even if she can't continue with pairs. :( No wonder they struggled at the domestic comp earlier in the season. They were making impressive progress based on the practice clips too. It seems to be slim pickings but I hope Xie can find a good partner with jumps; I really do like his skating.

I'm still confused about this NT/not-NT thing.

Midnightcass

On the Ice
Get GAO and XIE back together! They were the only hope for Chinese junior pairs last year and I was so mad that they split them apart. Sure they had a lot of things to work on and she was getting a bit tall but to completely switch him to a partner with no experience at all in pairs and leave her hanging? That doesn’t seem fair at all. And poor Xiangning, so much pressure. Hope she gets better soon and get back into singles. Maybe new coach? New choreography? She is China’s leading lady right now but I do think Hongyi Chen night upsurp her. 🤔

Anyways, any updates about the two Chinese boys sent to RAF? After the summer ended there weren’t any more new of them and they both didn’t appear in the jgp circuit......

Also, can someone tell why Y/Z aren’t training with the national team....
( I feel that the national team is now only composed of S/H and P/J)

Midnightcass

On the Ice
Saw some people said Shen/ Zhao are not smart coaches... well, then who else are? DonÂ’t even mention that they brought Sui/ Han from a very rough pair to a top pair with mature character and skating skills.

Shen and Zhao were my favourite skaters. Loved them. But I don’t always agree with their choices.

1. Why split Y/J? While they are performing well with their new partners (P/J are finally making strides), but Y/J had chemistry and balance. I would even go to say they were better than S/H at the time. If you gave them some time and more coaching, they would’ve had those quad down pat. Humility and love? I still watch that program to this day.

2. Why split pairs in general? They shouldn’t have the power to do that. Furthermore, they themselves show know about the benefits of longevity in partnerships, after all they skated together for 20? years. Look at Pang/Tong, sui/han.....

3. What’s with the drama happening with Boyang? Stop it.

skatinggold

On the Ice
It's crazy what they did for splitting up the pair. They could have two teams going for gold in Beijing 2022. with S/H an Y/J(if they were never splitted up). Come on here, they were two time junior world champions. Peng will never get stable jumps as Yu. I'm sorry if you can't land no triple sal, and you always mess up your solo you are not going anywhere.

ssminnow

Rinkside
Am I the only one who likes Peng and Jin together? Yu is incredibly beautiful but P/J look better matched. Shame that China doesn't have a male pair skater better suited for Yu.

Midnightcass

On the Ice
Am I the only one who likes Peng and Jin together? Yu is incredibly beautiful but P/J look better matched. Shame that China doesn't have a male pair skater better suited for Yu.
P/J do have some really fun lovely programs. I think their My drag program is my favourite. Definitely under appreciated.
But Y/J were elegance and class. Their throws could’ve been quads with just a little more work. I. Miss. Them. 😭
But I agree. It is a shame. But out of all the pairs men, Jin is the most suited for her.

s_parks

Record Breaker
I liked gao xie together but honestly don't see much hope for them should they come back as a team. She can't rotate her triples as far as I could tell from their competitive skates.

bobbob

Medalist
I'm not worried about pairs--it looks like China will have three solid pairs for 2022, with at least 2 medal contenders. We will see Yu/Zhang and Sui/Han's condition very soon.

However, the other three disciplines are looking Bleak right now. I still believe Boyang can come back more consistent, but it is not a guarantee. What is the plan for ladies right now?

Frites001

Spectator
P/J do have some really fun lovely programs. I think their My drag program is my favourite. Definitely under appreciated.
But Y/J were elegance and class. Their throws could’ve been quads with just a little more work. I. Miss. Them. 😭
But I agree. It is a shame. But out of all the pairs men, Jin is the most suited for her.
Heard that Yu got kicked out of the national team this season and now Y/Z train under Beijing team. Not sure if this was due to her injury. But anyway under Beijing team hopefully Yu can get a full recovery. I'm always suspicious about the physicians of the national team. So many injuries...

Mdk0144

On the Ice
Oh no, super bummed for Xiangning, hope it's not too serious, even if she can't continue with pairs. :( No wonder they struggled at the domestic comp earlier in the season. They were making impressive progress based on the practice clips too. It seems to be slim pickings but I hope Xie can find a good partner with jumps; I really do like his skating.

I'm still confused about this NT/not-NT thing.

I really wish him skate with xiaoyu so badly. They would be an interesting match. Gao is almost equally tall as xioyu, so it won’t even be a problem.