2018-19 Chinese figure skating | Page 26 | Golden Skate

2018-19 Chinese figure skating

GarthAqua

On the Ice
What dies it mean Yu/Zhang are not ready? What did I miss? Habe there been any serious injury?

Hao Zhang will be 38 in Beijing 2022 (maybe 40 if you believe in the stuff on wikipedia). He is the oldes skater out here. Skipping worlds seems crazy.

In one of their interview Hao Zhang said he is in Beijing Sport University studying for the graduate degree. He is having his final exams recently. Yu attented Japanese grade N1 which is the highest level of Japanese-Language Proficiency Test. They only practiced their sp three weeks before the nationals and they haven't practiced their long program.

They said they will not attend 4CC this year. They will keep the programs for next season.

HoneyBear

On the Ice
In one of their interview Hao Zhang said he is in Beijing Sport University studying for the graduate degree. He is having his final exams recently. Yu attented Japanese grade N1 which is the highest level of Japanese-Language Proficiency Test. They only practiced their sp three weeks before the nationals and they haven't practiced their long program.

They said they will not attend 4CC this year. They will keep the programs for next season.

I may not be Zhang Hao's biggest fan, but he's somehow juggling competitive skating, a graduate program (what does he study?) as well as his family life as a husband and a father. Also Xiaoyu's Japanese is basically self-taught. That is truly something.

ssminnow

Rinkside

Wow, kudos for them! For Hao Zhang especially, who probably can find a pretty comfortable living in China as a coach after he retires, he doesn't *need* to study for a graduate degree. The fact that he's choosing to on top of his other responsibilities is pretty admirable.

Plumededragon

Medalist
I’m late to this, but isn’t Xiangyi An the 11-12 year-old girl that won senior category from a previous national competition a few months ago? If so, I hope the following years will be kind to her, she can be a rising star. :)

Bcash

Final Flight
S/H's LP looks very interesting and promising from the practice clip. But it does remind me a little of S/M's winning program from last season in tone.

It's going to be really interesting when they compete against James/Cipres at Worlds, who have been consistent and "present" in front of the judges this season. I would still give S/H the edge if they skate relatively clean. I think the LP might be a bigger wow when they finally unveil it. And I feel that judges still regard S/H as a team of superior quality.

bobbob

Medalist
S/H's LP looks very interesting and promising from the practice clip. But it does remind me a little of S/M's winning program from last season in tone.

It's going to be really interesting when they compete against James/Cipres at Worlds, who have been consistent and "present" in front of the judges this season. I would still give S/H the edge if they skate relatively clean. I think the LP might be a bigger wow when they finally unveil it. And I feel that judges still regard S/H as a team of superior quality.

You don't have to be a judge to notice that Sui/Han are a team of superior quality. James/Cipres have really created programs that are beautiful but there are still some things where Sui/Han are clearly stronger at. Scoring wise, the judges have left plenty of room for Sui/Han as well.

The big issue is SBS jumps. They just need to work on their jump consistency and difficulty. They don't get away with double toes and double salchows.

So no 4CC or Worlds for Yu/Zhang, correct? They are not doing anything major this season?

BillNeal

You Know I'm a FS Fan...
Record Breaker
Wang/Liu were terribly underscored at the Mentor Torun Cup. They were laughing about the scores in the KnC as well. Given the composition of the panel, not surprised. Hopefully, they will be fairly marked at 4CC.

GarthAqua

On the Ice
In a recent interview of the pairs, Lori and her team are working with the pairs.

Both Sui and Han were shown doing 3Lo on harness with the help of Lori's team. Sui underrotated and fell on her 3Lo and Han stepped out. Other pair teams (PJ TY) were also doing jumps on the harness but don't know which kind of jump they were doing. It's good to know the Chinese pair teams are trying to pick up the solo jumps instead of trying throw quads.

Eclair

Medalist
In a recent interview of the pairs, Lori and her team are working with the pairs.

Both Sui and Han were shown doing 3Lo on harness with the help of Lori's team. Sui underrotated and fell on her 3Lo and Han stepped out. Other pair teams (PJ TY) were also doing jumps on the harness but don't know which kind of jump they were doing. It's good to know the Chinese pair teams are trying to pick up the solo jumps instead of trying throw quads.

I wonder why they chose to do the 3 loop instead of the flip... Sui and Peng clearly are stronger in toe-jumps than edge jumps. Since they struggle with the 3 sal, I would think the 3 flip would come more naturally than the 3 loop...

Bcash

Final Flight
I wonder why they chose to do the 3 loop instead of the flip... Sui and Peng clearly are stronger in toe-jumps than edge jumps. Since they struggle with the 3 sal, I would think the 3 flip would come more naturally than the 3 loop...

Maybe the 3F is harder to do as a SBS jump, with the timing harder to coordinate?

Yeah I think they should shore up the 3S first, but maybe they are thinking of replacing the 3S with 3Lo completely?

GarthAqua

On the Ice
Maybe the 3F is harder to do as a SBS jump, with the timing harder to coordinate?

Yeah I think they should shore up the 3S first, but maybe they are thinking of replacing the 3S with 3Lo completely?

They just changed their entry into 3S and seem to stabilized it. Some fan saw them doing 3T2T2Lo in practice during Chinese nationals so maybe they were trying to stabilize -2Lo?

Midnightcass

On the Ice
I remember seeing a video of this pair of very young (children/ novice?) Chinese ice dancers but I can't find it back. I think they compete in some of the domestic competitions at junior level. Does anyone know whom I speak of? And can you link the video? :3

GarthAqua

On the Ice
I remember seeing a video of this pair of very young (children/ novice?) Chinese ice dancers but I can't find it back. I think they compete in some of the domestic competitions at junior level. Does anyone know whom I speak of? And can you link the video? :3

刘桐 LIU Tong/葛全朔 GE Quanshuo, they are 11/13 years old. They first showed up last summer and are improving a lot. They are coached by ZHENG Xun.

video link: https://weibo.com/6361703010/HcOaqxmiu?type=comment

GarthAqua

On the Ice
BTW, the Chinese national figure skating champion competition will be held next weekend in Changchun. Boyang and Peng/Jin will be there but Sui/Han Yu/Zhang and Wang/Liu won't.

oly2018

Final Flight
I feel like it may have been good for S/H to get some mileage on their programs at this competition.